Investing

Locked: What did you buy? What might you buy??

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2022 11:49 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2009
5735 posts
1585 upvotes
Montreal
dlhunter wrote: AAPL crumbling
NFLX new lows
GILD below 83
TSLA below 208
VRX testing 25 support

and
AMZN new highs (LOL)

I pity AMZN bulls. They are buying that magic $1000 price target.
AAPL should just buy NFLX if the latter keeps falling while GILD should do some major M&A as well.
Jan 15, 2015
643 posts
410 upvotes
jerryhung wrote: another retail stock Nordstrom (JWN) tanking AH, -15%
Shake Shack +7% though

are we in recessions ........ retail is just horrible this week
Not according to these guys: http://imarketsignals.com/bci/

On retail - Glad I didn't buy more KSS yesterday. At least my WMT shares are holding up from my buy at $60. I think the market is over-reacting to AMZN taking huge market share from brick-and-mortar retailers.

Waiting for AAPL and GILD to drop more, but will resist the temptation to exceed 5% of portfolio.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2014
2348 posts
1840 upvotes
Ontario
SAM3674 wrote: Not according to these guys: http://imarketsignals.com/bci/

On retail - Glad I didn't buy more KSS yesterday. At least my WMT shares are holding up from my buy at $60. I think the market is over-reacting to AMZN taking huge market share from brick-and-mortar retailers.

Waiting for AAPL and GILD to drop more, but will resist the temptation to exceed 5% of portfolio.
Wise man. AAPL is 10% for me ...
Jan 15, 2015
643 posts
410 upvotes
llpresident wrote: Wise man. AAPL is 10% for me ...
Wisdom has nothing to do with it. It has to do with protecting my assets from shrinking; investments are my main source of income. Having a young growing family makes you cautious.

If I were truly wise, I would've put $35K in AAPL during the 2001 recession. In early 2015, that was worth about $8M. :cry:
Deal Fanatic
Oct 9, 2008
5684 posts
2251 upvotes
Thornhill
jerryhung wrote: another retail stock Nordstrom (JWN) tanking AH, -15%
Shake Shack +7% though

are we in recessions ........ retail is just horrible this week
Think about the weather we experienced this winter and fall. No matter what any retailer has done strategy wise, the shopper did not have to buy as much new clothing this year compared to the year prior due to unseasonably warm weather. As a result, retailers now have excess inventory which they'll have to get rid of at a reduced margin hence why many retailers cutting full-year sales expectations as a result. It's inevitable, very few retailers I've seen report has avoided this.

People look too far into stuff and miss the painfully obvious :facepalm:

We literally had an El Niño year and climatologists are predicting 75% chance of La Niña by fall. If I had more free capital, I'd be buying more retailers now.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 27, 2007
5507 posts
1956 upvotes
Jeenyus1 wrote: Think about the weather we experienced this winter and fall. No matter what any retailer has done strategy wise, the shopper did not have to buy as much new clothing this year compared to the year prior due to unseasonably warm weather. As a result, retailers now have excess inventory which they'll have to get rid of at a reduced margin hence why many retailers cutting full-year sales expectations as a result
All good, but the truth might be consumer tapped out and has no cash to spend.

So when fine folks on CNBC say it's time to short xrt at its lows, I wonder if they actually trade
It's easy to grin when your ship comes in and you've got the stock market beat.
But the man worthwhile is the man who can smile when his shorts are too tight in the seat 😃
In Fed We Trust - Make ES Limit Down Great Again!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 27, 2007
5507 posts
1956 upvotes
Moment of truth on SPX. Today's low must hold or bears taking over.
But the man worthwhile is the man who can smile when his shorts are too tight in the seat 😃
Deal Fanatic
Oct 9, 2008
5684 posts
2251 upvotes
Thornhill
dlhunter wrote: Moment of truth on SPX. Today's low must hold or bears taking over.
Robin Hood came in and posted above expectations in U.S Retail Sales + U.S Core Retail Sales for month of April today BMO. Just in time to begin movement upward to a new high in Q2 :D

Let's see if buyers show up.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 9, 2008
5684 posts
2251 upvotes
Thornhill
White Comet wrote: Thoughts on which ones to look out for?
Totally up to you depending on your investment goals + level of tolerable risk. I bought GAP for its dividend but their strategy thus far has not been working to reinvigorate sale in their brands. The easy answer is to close down under performing retail operations as everyone knows, mall traffic is in decline and I don't think GAP needs so many storefronts, their online presence is perfectly able to accommodate with less overhead. The second conclusion I hope they come to is to lower their cost on GAP/Old Navy/Banana Republic merchandise to compete more effectively with "fast fashion" brands such as H&M. Teens/adults are no longer interested in clothing with "GAP" across their chest at $40 a shirt, so give them exactly what they want.. cheap, in style seasonal rotating clothing. Who cares if 'hot pink' vests + bubble wrap pants won't be in style next year, consumers will just buy the next hot thing the next year... I remember in the 90's when GAP was once a powerhouse, and it was because they were trend-setters. They need to get back to this and less of pastel, every day clothing with 40% discounts everyday.

If you want to enter into something relatively strong take a look at Nike and to a lesser degree, Under Armor. Almost everything in retail sector has been sold off lately, so you have some time before inflows slowly come back in.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 27, 2007
5507 posts
1956 upvotes
Speaking of retail...
someone BOUGHT Jan 2018 10P in GPS for 87c 20000 times.
that's 1.74M bet with break even at $9.12 controlling 2M shares

not cool, I am long GPS. :facepalm:
Deal Fanatic
Oct 9, 2008
5684 posts
2251 upvotes
Thornhill
dlhunter wrote: Speaking of retail...
someone BOUGHT Jan 2018 10P in GPS for 87c 20000 times.
that's 1.74M bet with break even at $9.12 controlling 2M shares

not cool, I am long GPS. :facepalm:
Seems like someone's hedging pretty aggressively :confused:
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2012
1965 posts
1096 upvotes
Kanata, ON
sold ATVI at $38.75... can't complain with a 105% return. Still think it will go higher, but it was the right time for me to sell.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 27, 2007
5507 posts
1956 upvotes
dive, dive, we are rapidly deteriorating :lol:

SPX broke through important level. Lets see what happens now... do bears take the ball and run, or bulls can get up and fight
Nov 12, 2014
130 posts
110 upvotes
Levis, QC
Weird day. Retail sales went up and pretty much smashed estimates yet SPX took a beating and broke below 2053 (50 DMA). Even consumers sentiment improved more than expected. Perharps the market is fearing a rate hike in June ? but then again treasuries yield went down.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2014
3963 posts
4723 upvotes
Toronto, ON
dlhunter wrote: dive, dive, we are rapidly deteriorating :lol:

SPX broke through important level. Lets see what happens now... do bears take the ball and run, or bulls can get up and fight
It's funny how betting on volatility changes one's perspective: I'm cheering for my ~4K in HUV to go up, even though it means that our ~400K in equities (or at least the S&P 500 part) are going down.. lol
Deal Fanatic
Jun 27, 2007
5507 posts
1956 upvotes
AAPL - risk reversal/protection
AUG -97.5C/-110C/+90P

TSLA - May roll
SEP -215P/-275C

HSBC - May/Jul roll
JUL +33P/-33C/-33P May

btw, someone made good size bearish bet on CF today - JUL +25P/-22.5P x2 for 0.13c debit

edit: CF JUN -30C x2 / +30P for 0.52c debit
Jan 19, 2013
275 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto
Going to buy 2000 of NXE (Nexgen energy) at a buy order of 2.20
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2010
1127 posts
479 upvotes
NakNak wrote: Going to buy 2000 of NXE (Nexgen energy) at a buy order of 2.20
Good luck! It's currently at 2.50 and going up.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
1528 posts
325 upvotes
Grimsby
komodor wrote: Good luck! It's currently at 2.50 and going up.
Yup, just sold my NXE $2.51 :)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)