Investing

What did you buy? What might you buy??

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 1st, 2021 9:56 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2010
1935 posts
699 upvotes
Vancouver
freilona wrote: It's funny how betting on volatility changes one's perspective: I'm cheering for my ~4K in HUV to go up, even though it means that our ~400K in equities (or at least the S&P 500 part) are going down.. lol
You seem like nice people from my reading of your posts...PLEASE don't hold HUV or any other leveraged contagion ETF products overnight, max couple of days, they get reset every night and open the following trading day at a reset level. They are made strictly for daytraders and should only be held by professional traders.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 4, 2014
3329 posts
3491 upvotes
Toronto, ON
@gwplant, I know, I know - but still want to try swing-trading it (when volatility spikes, it goes up so fast - I wouldn't be able to catch it; but holding it with pre-set limit sell order might work :) ) My average purchase price is about a dollar above HUV's bottom, so I'm betting on a spike within a month - it doesn't erode that fast (that's why I didn't go with HVU - that one is too wild for me :) )

I'm playing with small amounts, and sat with HVI for a few months before selling it at a small profit, so pretty sure I have the temperament/patience of investor to compensate the lack of speed of trader - but thank you for the warning! =)
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2010
1935 posts
699 upvotes
Vancouver
freilona wrote: @gwplant, I know, I know - but still want to try swing-trading it (when volatility spikes, it goes up so fast - I wouldn't be able to catch it; but holding it with pre-set limit sell order might work :) ) My average purchase price is about a dollar above HUV's bottom, so I'm betting on a spike within a month - it doesn't erode that fast (that's why I didn't go with HVU - that one is too wild for me :) )

I'm playing with small amounts, and sat with HVI for a few months before selling it at a small profit, so pretty sure I have the temperament/patience of investor to compensate the lack of speed of trader - but thank you for the warning! =)
The problem is each potential spike, if it does happen at all, gets smaller and smaller, this is not true protection against a downturn in the S&P, I thought the same thing until I did a bit more homework.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 4, 2014
3329 posts
3491 upvotes
Toronto, ON
gwplant wrote: The problem is each potential spike, if it does happen at all, gets smaller and smaller, this is not true protection against a downturn in the S&P, I thought the same thing until I did a bit more homework.
I was sure May will be crazier than it is (yep, wrong so far :) ) What do you think of these new ETFs: https://www.etftrends.com/2016/05/rex-s ... es-2-etfs/ ? I like the idea, but wanted to check them when they have a few months history.. :)
Deal Fanatic
Jun 27, 2007
5502 posts
1952 upvotes
To protect portfolio, 4 options:
- buy SPY puts (have to beta weight to SPY to know how many delta's to cover)
- buy VXX call spread / sell VXX/VIX puts - selling puts might not be good as low VIX means no premium. This is more advanced than #1
- collars on stocks (eg sell ATM call, buy ATM put). Most stocks I looked at today have bearish skew, meaning puts more expensive than comparable calls. This is the easiest strategy.
- hedging with futures (ES = 500 SPY) and/or future options. Not simple, but less difficult than VXX.
It's easy to grin when your ship comes in and you've got the stock market beat.
But the man worthwhile is the man who can smile when his shorts are too tight in the seat 😃
In Fed We Trust - Make ES Limit Down Great Again!
Sr. Member
Feb 1, 2015
611 posts
137 upvotes
MB
freilona wrote: I was sure May will be crazier than it is (yep, wrong so far :) ) What do you think of these new ETFs: https://www.etftrends.com/2016/05/rex-s ... es-2-etfs/ ? I like the idea, but wanted to check them when they have a few months history.. :)
Better performance than VXX/XIV so far.
You sure have some guts to hold HUV while M1 future is close to expiration and M1/M2 Futures have been decreasing toward spot VIX.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 20, 2003
7173 posts
1158 upvotes
London
$1600 profit today on 28 trades.

Sold AAPL on the GAP and played it both ways 3 times. FB both ways all day. NFLX was a bitch but played both ways a couple times.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2010
1935 posts
699 upvotes
Vancouver
catoun wrote: Better performance than VXX/XIV so far.
You sure have some guts to hold HUV while M1 future is close to expiration and M1/M2 Futures have been decreasing toward spot VIX.
This is language that I profess to know nothing about therefore the exact reason why I don't own HUV or the like and why I was warning freilona about it.
Sr. Member
Feb 1, 2015
611 posts
137 upvotes
MB
gwplant wrote: This is language that I profess to know nothing about therefore the exact reason why I don't own HUV or the like and why I was warning freilona about it.
Nothing dramatic. Not like you bet the farm on it. She's been playing with a small amount of money, and I'm sure she's aware of the risk.
The contracts are rolling tonight or tomorrow. A new start for the next 30 days. Hope you hit the jackpot Freilona :razz:
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 4, 2014
3329 posts
3491 upvotes
Toronto, ON
catoun wrote: Hope you hit the jackpot Freilona :razz:
Nah, my sell order is at +15%, so just waiting for a couple of bad news lol But thank you - wish I had the guts to play "double or nothing" :D
Deal Fanatic
Jun 27, 2007
5502 posts
1952 upvotes
Hibbing wrote: $1600 profit today on 28 trades.

Sold AAPL on the GAP and played it both ways 3 times. FB both ways all day. NFLX was a bitch but played both ways a couple times.
:cheesygri

didn't lift a finger and up 2.8K ;)
It's easy to grin when your ship comes in and you've got the stock market beat.
But the man worthwhile is the man who can smile when his shorts are too tight in the seat 😃
In Fed We Trust - Make ES Limit Down Great Again!
Member
May 6, 2009
260 posts
64 upvotes
First Icahn making it public that he's bearish on AAPL
Then Buffet weights in and discloses he's a bull on AAPL

Now Soros has bet almost half a billion that the economy is about to tank.


These guys certainly know how to manipulate the prices to maximum personal benefit. The rest of us are chumps.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 27, 2007
5502 posts
1952 upvotes
brother_bruce wrote: First Icahn making it public that he's bearish on AAPL
Then Buffet weights in and discloses he's a bull on AAPL

Now Soros has bet almost half a billion that the economy is about to tank.


These guys certainly know how to manipulate the prices to maximum personal benefit. The rest of us are chumps.
if I tell you SPX going to 2012, would you believe it?
It's easy to grin when your ship comes in and you've got the stock market beat.
But the man worthwhile is the man who can smile when his shorts are too tight in the seat 😃
In Fed We Trust - Make ES Limit Down Great Again!
Member
May 6, 2009
260 posts
64 upvotes
It doesnt matter what you predict, unless it's backed up with sufficient $$$ to move the market.

Soros, Icahn, Buffet... I'm not saying these people can predict the market, but I'm saying they can influence it, or the shares of a company, single handedly.

It doesnt matter whether Soros merely 'thinks' something. The fact that he's willing to bet half a billion is sufficient to sway numerous other investors, causing a chain reaction. Much like Buffet and his billion dollar bet on AAPL, or Icahn the week before.

Very few people can do that; that's my point.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 19, 2004
23929 posts
5577 upvotes
where I belong
Fed causing RED market again

Dow sinks over 200 points after Fed officials leave door open on a June hike

Fed officials Williams, Lockhart stress that June meeting is ‘live’ - MarketWatch
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/fed-of ... 2016-05-17
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K
Deal Fanatic
Jun 27, 2007
5502 posts
1952 upvotes
brother, it works both ways
when Carl Icahn (or Buffet) tweeted his buys (and market was trending higher), everybody cheered because it helped their positions
now the wind has changed and market turned neutral to bearish.
as an investor/speculator, you have to be aligned with trend, or it will hurt.
they are just stating the obvious, and this is NOTHING yet - we are few % points off the TOP. Think of losses in the 15-20-30% range - folks will be losing their mind and accounts. We have seen nothing yet... be prepared.

p.s. 2030 on ES might stop the slaughter today, but ultimately, 2012 will be tested, possibly this week.
It's easy to grin when your ship comes in and you've got the stock market beat.
But the man worthwhile is the man who can smile when his shorts are too tight in the seat 😃
In Fed We Trust - Make ES Limit Down Great Again!
Member
May 6, 2009
260 posts
64 upvotes
You're right. I'm just (half) envious that they can do that to begin with.

Regardless, I'm ready to hold most of my positions for the long term, so it's just some idle whining from my part.

Top

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 3 guests)

craftsman