Investing

Locked: What did you buy? What might you buy??

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2022 11:49 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Jun 26, 2011
15096 posts
5413 upvotes
GTA
Not seeing much interesting to buy yet.....gut says the SP500 will start fighting back now
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13885 posts
1368 upvotes
CUS.TO having a good day so far, up 1.23%.

For me, it simply means that after 2 weeks of trading for my first time ever, with only $1,100 invested, I've made $35.00. Not overwhelming by any means, but when you consider fees eating up my margins, and the fact that I'm investing a very tiny amount, as someone brand new to this, I'm left with an overall positive impression.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
May 7, 2009
169 posts
31 upvotes
Hamilton
RolandCouch wrote: gut says the SP500 will start fighting back now
cant say i agree.

but i sold all my holdings last week in prep of a decline. only holding HVU right now.

i'll buy back in, but not until next week at the earliest.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
20055 posts
9837 upvotes
Toronto
bluejazzy wrote: Starbucks looks interesting at these prices.
Just put in an order for $69.25 thanks for the heads up, would've never caught my eye otherwise.
Realtor (Investment Properties) - CPA, CA
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2012
4947 posts
425 upvotes
Gloucester, Canada
syne wrote: cus.to having a good day so far, up 1.23%.

For me, it simply means that after 2 weeks of trading for my first time after, with only $1,100 invested, i've made $35.00. Not overwhelming by any means, but when you consider fees eating up my margins, and the fact that i'm investing a very tiny amount, as someone brand new to this, i'm left with an overall positive impression.

3% roi :)
sign by: someone
Deal Expert
Jun 26, 2011
15096 posts
5413 upvotes
GTA
jesse.millette wrote: cant say i agree.

but i sold all my holdings last week in prep of a decline. only holding HVU right now.

i'll buy back in, but not until next week at the earliest.
Wow...sold everything?

Good luck. Looks like the decline continues and may end at the low of the day if it keeps up. Unfortunate that I didn't hold off longer to stomach the initial paper loss on HVU, things are looking good for you now.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 14, 2010
7113 posts
9300 upvotes
rodbarc wrote: UVXY at $63.8.

Will close if SPY breaks out $184.

Will add more if SPY hits $181.
Sold for $67.68.

SPY hit very close to EMA(100) (less than $182) a few times today and keeps bouncing back. It might retest $184 next week if earnings are good. Locking profits now, will enter again next week if SPY tries $184 and fail or if SPY goes below $181.

Still think SPY will test $176 in the next 2 weeks.

Rod
May 5, 2010
971 posts
119 upvotes
deal_with_singh wrote: Just put in an order for $69.25 thanks for the heads up, would've never caught my eye otherwise.
I started a small position today (50), have been on the side lines watching it since it was in the mid 50s, today in at 69.20. I think theres a little more room for it to possibly go down, which in the case i'll average to 100 shares and see what happens.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2005
1102 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
iceman2929 wrote: QXP.v . Way too undervalued...

Considering upping my buy of CUS.to.
Wow nice call on QXP.V +64% today...
Dec 14, 2006
417 posts
386 upvotes
RBK wrote: Wow nice call on QXP.V +64% today...
I'm very happy with this... kinda bummed I didn't put my full allocation in but I'm happy with an extra couple grand in 2 days :P
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2008
1038 posts
90 upvotes
GTA
RBK wrote: Wow nice call on QXP.V +64% today...
Missed the boat on that one and got caught up on the TWD. Didn't have cash on hand.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2014
1044 posts
551 upvotes
Syne wrote: CUS.TO having a good day so far, up 1.23%.

For me, it simply means that after 2 weeks of trading for my first time ever, with only $1,100 invested, I've made $35.00. Not overwhelming by any means, but when you consider fees eating up my margins, and the fact that I'm investing a very tiny amount, as someone brand new to this, I'm left with an overall positive impression.
These last two weeks is your first time trading ever? a 3% gain is pretty damn good. The markets have been a bloodbath for the most part, however by tax deadline (Wednesday) markets should be moving higher. there's lots of value out there. I'd take that 3% gain and look for a good company that's been absolutely beaten down.
Nov 1, 2013
140 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
paul29m wrote: These last two weeks is your first time trading ever? a 3% gain is pretty damn good. The markets have been a bloodbath for the most part, however by tax deadline (Wednesday) markets should be moving higher. there's lots of value out there. I'd take that 3% gain and look for a good company that's been absolutely beaten down.
Really..im thinking the opposite...Most major indices were up 30% last year and people made a lot of money...gotta pay those tax bills so im expecting more of a sell off
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
20055 posts
9837 upvotes
Toronto
bluejazzy wrote: I started a small position today (50), have been on the side lines watching it since it was in the mid 50s, today in at 69.20. I think theres a little more room for it to possibly go down, which in the case i'll average to 100 shares and see what happens.
I'm not too worried about SBUX. I think anything <$70 is undervalued. Had some spare USD sitting around in my RRSP account so picked up a 100 shares. I usually don't "trade" much in my RRSP, most holdings are just there for the long run.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 27, 2007
5507 posts
1956 upvotes
Stephen55 wrote: Really..im thinking the opposite...Most major indices were up 30% last year and people made a lot of money...gotta pay those tax bills so im expecting more of a sell off
expiration week tends to be bullish, April is 70% of the time positive. That said, I'm expecting the market to take out Friday's lows on Mon-Tue, then rally into Thur. Huge support on S&P was lost (1840), bearish reversal pattern on monthly chart, big deterioration in market internals, etc. Path of least resistance is down, at least 10% correction will take S&P down to 1680. The bounce next week is 100% shortable.
May 14, 2011
177 posts
49 upvotes
dlhunter wrote: expiration week tends to be bullish, April is 70% of the time positive. That said, I'm expecting the market to take out Friday's lows on Mon-Tue, then rally into Thur. Huge support on S&P was lost (1840), bearish reversal pattern on monthly chart, big deterioration in market internals, etc. Path of least resistance is down, at least 10% correction will take S&P down to 1680. The bounce next week is 100% shortable.
My take also. The markets tend to oversell and I've got my buy orders in to average down existing holdings. Also looking to pick up a few BBD.B under $4.00.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
20055 posts
9837 upvotes
Toronto
rebootme wrote: My take also. The markets tend to oversell and I've got my buy orders in to average down existing holdings. Also looking to pick up a few BBD.B under $4.00.
My strategy is to always buy when the market is selling, and thats why this weeks been great :)
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2014
2170 posts
341 upvotes
Mississauga
dlhunter wrote: expiration week tends to be bullish, April is 70% of the time positive. That said, I'm expecting the market to take out Friday's lows on Mon-Tue, then rally into Thur. Huge support on S&P was lost (1840), bearish reversal pattern on monthly chart, big deterioration in market internals, etc. Path of least resistance is down, at least 10% correction will take S&P down to 1680. The bounce next week is 100% shortable.
The reason why I don't have buy, buy,, in my siggy anymore.
May 14, 2011
177 posts
49 upvotes
deal_with_singh wrote: My strategy is to always buy when the market is selling, and thats why this weeks been great :)
I have a similar strategy. :) Downward market momentum and upward market momentum often tend to continue over 3 consecutive days; that's why I place lower buy orders after the first couple of days stocks on my watchlist are falling in price. So far have been pretty good at filling at the lower lows.
Feb 12, 2014
3 posts
Mississauga
Does anybody follow FCU? Do you think it will be a buy-out target?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)