Home & Garden

What is the difference between floor leveling compound and self leveling compound?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 3rd, 2021 2:56 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2281 posts
435 upvotes
East York, ON

What is the difference between floor leveling compound and self leveling compound?

The manufacturer instructions say floor leveling compound but I can't find that type of cement

don't see how the self leveling concrete would help here as the floor was already leveled with that type of cocrete.
Besides that the mounds are there to offer support for the base which a self leveling concrete won't do
Sig abuse not tolerated on RFD - mods
4 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1994 posts
1725 upvotes
GTA
Based on limited information.... I assume this is for a shower pan of sorts and all you need is to bond it.

I assume a bonding mortar or thinset is probably fine for this purpose as you're just looking to adhere the pan to the floor and level it manually if required.

Someone can probably provide a product, but I assume its something like the Kerdi shower pan - you're just looking to bond and level manually, not create a flat surface, so self leveling doesn't make sense here.... (I assume based on limited info).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2281 posts
435 upvotes
East York, ON
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: Based on limited information.... I assume this is for a shower pan of sorts and all you need is to bond it.

I assume a bonding mortar or thinset is probably fine for this purpose as you're just looking to adhere the pan to the floor and level it manually if required.

Someone can probably provide a product, but I assume its something like the Kerdi shower pan - you're just looking to bond and level manually, not create a flat surface, so self leveling doesn't make sense here.... (I assume based on limited info).
Sorry that is for a Kohler Ballast 60x32 shower base
I think it is more for offering support from underneath
This is a very heavy (yet low profile) shower base that you can't move by pushing it if it is flat on the floor. It is made of enameled steel
so at best I need something that would be hard, it would solidify in place in a predetermined shape and won't shrink when it dries out (which will push the base upward if that is even possible)
Dec 21, 2020
560 posts
488 upvotes
Basically you're looking for mortar. It's used to set the base and fill in any gaps from uneven floors so the pan doesn't sag or sink when you step on it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2281 posts
435 upvotes
East York, ON
Thank you guys.I guess I will just buy that

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)