Food & Drink

What is the difference between Tabasco and Frank's Red Hot?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 4th, 2016 8:46 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13547 posts
2345 upvotes
City of Vancouver

What is the difference between Tabasco and Frank's Red Hot?

Tabasco is more expensive (price per volume) than Frank's Red Hot. Is there a good justification for this? I have never tried the latter.
30 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
1766 posts
612 upvotes
Elgin, ON
Tabasco is hotter, and tastes different than Frank's Red Hot.
Dec 14, 2010
490 posts
207 upvotes
I find Frank's to be much more sour than Tabasco. If you've had buffalo wings before then you may have had Frank's as a lot of places just mix Frank's with butter. I'm selective with what I can put Frank's on but Tabasco is pretty much good with everything.
Sep 14, 2005
604 posts
110 upvotes
Toronto
Tabasco: Thinner texture, way more expensive per mL. Aged for 2 years in Jack Daniels used Whiskey barrels. So you see where your money goes. Its somewhat the standard for how hot sauce tastes for me since that was the go to hotsauce as a child. But since I have grown out of it. Its kinda coming back for me. Try the chipotle version, its actually very good.

Franks: Thicker texture, cheaper and can be found in multipacks at costco. Personally think this tastes better on more variety. You can put it on pretty much anything now and it'll be a good sauce for it. Same cannot be said with Tabasco. I think this has more of a vinnegar taste to it, or the taste is not as hot as Tabasco(lingering feeling not as strong). Has more flavour in my opinion.

Best hot sauce definately Red Rooster Sirachia. There are some nice smaller batch hot sauces out there of course, but talking about mass market here.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2008
9427 posts
2175 upvotes
Toronto
Franks has too much vinegar, tabasco is better IMO.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16599 posts
2315 upvotes
Becks wrote: Tabasco is more expensive (price per volume) than Frank's Red Hot.

Frank tastes like Mild Buffalo Suace, which I prefer on things like Chicken Fingers, etc. Tabasco has a unique flavor which some really like.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5016 posts
548 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
ghostfacechilla wrote: Tabasco: Thinner texture, way more expensive per mL. Aged for 2 years in Jack Daniels used Whiskey barrels. So you see where your money goes. Its somewhat the standard for how hot sauce tastes for me since that was the go to hotsauce as a child. But since I have grown out of it. Its kinda coming back for me. Try the chipotle version, its actually very good.

Franks: Thicker texture, cheaper and can be found in multipacks at costco. Personally think this tastes better on more variety. You can put it on pretty much anything now and it'll be a good sauce for it. Same cannot be said with Tabasco. I think this has more of a vinnegar taste to it, or the taste is not as hot as Tabasco(lingering feeling not as strong). Has more flavour in my opinion.

Best hot sauce definately Red Rooster Sirachia. There are some nice smaller batch hot sauces out there of course, but talking about mass market here.
I moved on to Rooster Sriracha from Frank's and Tabasco, too. It makes a good dipping sauce 1:2 with French's Ketchup.

Even better is my current fave, Kikkoman Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce. Very hot and long lasting. I get it a Dollartree.

Packard
Ask the man who owns one!
Sep 24, 2015
19 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Recently I bought this at No Frills: Image

Except it was a 1L bottle for $3.77. It's quite hot and tastes most like Frank's. Good deal.

Although not as good of a deal as Costco's sale prices for Frank's hot sauce.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9600 posts
1854 upvotes
Toronto
Brand appeal maybe?

Tabasco is like the"Kleenex" of Louisiana hot sauces.ie mnay people simply refer to any Lousinia hot sauce as Tabasco.

I heard about Frank's only after Tabasco and Red Rooster, but I agree Franks has become popular possibly due to it's advertising.

They all taste different, some more vinegary than the others.

Sriracha is totally differnt type of chilli with a different taste.

They suit different types of food IMO.

Not sure who makes those large containers that Pizza places like Double Double use for their wings.

Not sure if it's been altered, but even that brand tastes different and seems thicker than store shelf retail offerings.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2007
2003 posts
297 upvotes
Vancouver
Hi,

Louisiana hot sauce is vinegar based & sriracha hot sauce is water based. I still like to be able to taste the meat in my spiced up food & find the vinegar is too overpowering.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
6723 posts
3790 upvotes
Aurora
By the way, alternates to Tabasco are Grace and NuPak Hot Pepper Sauce. Very similar taste, heat levels, and same thin consistancy but much cheaper than Tabasco brand. I sometimes put it in "wet" foods like stews or pasta dishes. Metro just had the NuPak sauce on sale for 99 cents, if i recall - I picked up a few bottles.

Franks is totally different, being thicker and spiced differently.Good for bbq wings which doesn't work as well with thin Tabasco.

Sriracha is different, again. Being much more garlicky than the above and I use it more on Asian foods. I find myself diverging away from using Sriracha in favour of "rounded" sauces like Toban Jiang.

For a real kick, I'll reach for the Blair's Ultra Death sauce and add a few drops to chili's and such, though nobody in my family likes it except me!

There's no one hot sauce for every application. You need several on hand for different uses.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13016 upvotes
ghostfacechilla wrote: Tabasco: Thinner texture, way more expensive per mL. Aged for 2 years in Jack Daniels used Whiskey barrels. So you see where your money goes. Its somewhat the standard for how hot sauce tastes for me since that was the go to hotsauce as a child. But since I have grown out of it. Its kinda coming back for me. Try the chipotle version, its actually very good.

Franks: Thicker texture, cheaper and can be found in multipacks at costco. Personally think this tastes better on more variety. You can put it on pretty much anything now and it'll be a good sauce for it. Same cannot be said with Tabasco.
This is pretty accurate.
Tabasco is also significantly hotter per volume so you need less of it.
Apparently Tabasco also uses their own peppers (the Tabasco pepper) which is unique to them whereas most other sauces use Cayenne.
I think this has more of a vinnegar taste to it, or the taste is not as hot as Tabasco(lingering feeling not as strong). Has more flavour in my opinion.
This is accurate too.
Get out. Sriracha is FAR too sweet for me. It's literally my least favorite hot sauce.
lecale wrote: If you like Tabasco Chipotle, PC Chipotle Hot sauce is an exact dupe: http://www.presidentschoice.ca/en_CA/pr ... sauce.html
Maybe I hadn't ad Tabasco in a while, but the PC branded one didn't taste right to me.
I have no basis of comparison since I can't find the Tabasco branded one anywhere in a volume that's not a ripoff.
(Superstore still has it, but it's a tiny bottle for like $5 now)
chinesedevil wrote: Franks has too much vinegar, tabasco is better IMO.
That's weird since Tabasco is literally more than 50% vinegar according to the ingredient list whereas Franks has Cayenne peppers as their first ingredient.
gh05t wrote: I heard about Frank's only after Tabasco and Red Rooster, but I agree Franks has become popular possibly due to it's advertising.
It's literally the de facto sauce for every single hot wing in North America.
There's some variation on it (ie house brands to save a few bucks) but it's this type of sauce that dominates the wing industry.
Strangely enough, I think it's actually weird on other things. To me it only belongs on wings.
Not sure who makes those large containers that Pizza places like Double Double use for their wings.
Depends on if the company is cheap or not.

If they're not, it's most likely this:
If they are, it's probably this:

Source: I buy Frank's by the gallon for my wings.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9555 posts
3849 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: Maybe I hadn't ad Tabasco in a while, but the PC branded one didn't taste right to me.
I have no basis of comparison since I can't find the Tabasco branded one anywhere in a volume that's not a ripoff.
(Superstore still has it, but it's a tiny bottle for like $5 now)
I have both in the house now and did a side by side:

Tabasco: waterier, fruitier, redder
PC: browner, vinegarier

So you are right.

Food Basics had Tabasco on for $1.99 earlier this year and there were $1.50 coupons, so for me Tabasco has been the cheaper option. I stocked up on the chipotle one.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13016 upvotes
The US has a 1/2 gallon of Chipotle for $22 plus $7 shipping so I'm thinking of getting that since prices went up.
Superstore was selling for like $4-5 for 80ish mL or whatever size that is.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5016 posts
548 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
death_hawk wrote: The US has a 1/2 gallon of Chipotle for $22 plus $7 shipping so I'm thinking of getting that since prices went up.
Superstore was selling for like $4-5 for 80ish mL or whatever size that is.
$7 to ship .5 gal liquid to Canada is unrealstic. It's way low even if they will do it.

Packard
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4117 upvotes
Ottawa
Costco has 350ml tabasco for 8.99. So about half the price of Loblaws per ml.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13016 upvotes
jayt90 wrote: $7 to ship .5 gal liquid to Canada is unrealstic. It's way low even if they will do it.
death_hawk wrote: The US
It's not happening to Canada.
Tabasco's store front DOES ship to Canada but they don't give you a price until you check out.
Guarantee it won't be $7. $70 maybe.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5016 posts
548 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
death_hawk wrote: It's not happening to Canada.
Tabasco's store front DOES ship to Canada but they don't give you a price until you check out.
Guarantee it won't be $7. $70 maybe.
I stopped buying 15 lb shipments of green coffee beans from U.S. sources when the most ecoomical rate at USPS went up to U.S.$45 last year.

Packard
May 7, 2008
711 posts
296 upvotes
Toronto
Since this thread has diverged a bit...

I hate recommended this because it is my go to sauce and don't want you guys to drive up the price...but check out Valentina's hot sauce - from Mexico, $1.99 available at some Walmarts and No Frills and most Mexican food retailers in GTA.