Computers & Electronics

What is the difference between the TCL 55S423 and TCL 55S425?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 23rd, 2020 5:34 pm
[OP]
Nov 1, 2014
77 posts
5 upvotes
Madden, AB

What is the difference between the TCL 55S423 and TCL 55S425?

I bought a hisense and the backlight bleed is terrible on all 4 edges. I bought from Costco cause I like their warranty. I’m considering getting a refund and getting the TCL 55S423, can anyone recommend this TV? Also, Best Buy has 55S425, what’s the difference?
14 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2538 posts
1490 upvotes
Calgary
Likely nothing at all. Just a clever way to ensure price matching can’t happen as the model numbers are different. Face With Stuck-out Tongue
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
24006 posts
30560 upvotes
The difference is 2.

The difference is marketing, price matching avoidance, and sometimes minor aesthetic changes or hardware/software refreshes (usually unimportant).
[OP]
Nov 1, 2014
77 posts
5 upvotes
Madden, AB
Thanks. Can anyone recommend this TV?
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
3856 posts
3421 upvotes
Markham
Goosepants wrote: Thanks. Can anyone recommend this TV?
I am using the TCL 55S423 from Costco. It has the same spec as TCL 55S425 from BestBuy or Amazon. The Costco variant has silver legs while the other model has black legs. Functionally they are the same. I used the recommended calibrations of TCL 55S425 on my 55S523. It has significant improvements on picture quality since doing the calibrations.

I have been using this TV since last Black Friday. I came from a plasma dummy TV. I am very impressed with this TCL smart TV. Mind you, I am not a pixel peeper.
[OP]
Nov 1, 2014
77 posts
5 upvotes
Madden, AB
Thanks, what are the recommended calibration settings?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
20998 posts
7335 upvotes
Toronto
drdtyc wrote: I am using the TCL 55S423 from Costco. It has the same spec as TCL 55S425 from BestBuy or Amazon. The Costco variant has silver legs while the other model has black legs. Functionally they are the same. I used the recommended calibrations of TCL 55S425 on my 55S523. It has significant improvements on picture quality since doing the calibrations.

I have been using this TV since last Black Friday. I came from a plasma dummy TV. I am very impressed with this TCL smart TV. Mind you, I am not a pixel peeper.
What is a "plasma dummy TV"?

How bright does the TV get? I'd be looking for a TV for my home office. I have a 720p plasma in there but it's well, 720p, and also not very bright. During the day it's not so great since the room has big windows. I was also considering getting a media box for it, but I might just be better off getting a Roku TV instead.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
3856 posts
3421 upvotes
Markham
EugW wrote: What is a "plasma dummy TV"?
Conventional plasma TV with no OS on it.
A smart TV has OS built-in. If you like, a smart TV is a combo of a Roku stick, Fire stick or Android box with a conventional TV.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
20998 posts
7335 upvotes
Toronto
drdtyc wrote: Conventional plasma TV with no OS on it.
Oh I see. It's you're own personal descriptive name. Unfortunately, some people (like myself) won't understand because it's not normal terminology.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
20998 posts
7335 upvotes
Toronto
So rtings says this TV is too dim. Plus the Roku interface has too many ads according to some. I’ll scratch this one off my list.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2325 posts
145 upvotes
It's cheap. What do you expect? I have the one from Costco and plan to use it with a computer.

I am interested in trying these calibration settings.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2325 posts
145 upvotes
drdtyc wrote: I am using the TCL 55S423 from Costco. It has the same spec as TCL 55S425 from BestBuy or Amazon. The Costco variant has silver legs while the other model has black legs. Functionally they are the same. I used the recommended calibrations of TCL 55S425 on my 55S523. It has significant improvements on picture quality since doing the calibrations.

Did you find "Advanced Picture Settings?" I couldn't find it anywhere. It's just shown as "Options: Picture Settings. " Also, there was no options for SDR and Movie Mode, Only HDR section.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
3856 posts
3421 upvotes
Markham
teleguitar wrote: Did you find "Advanced Picture Settings?" I couldn't find it anywhere. It's just shown as "Options: Picture Settings. " Also, there was no options for SDR and Movie Mode, Only HDR section.
When you watching a show, the Picture Settings will be more comprehensive.
You may try from there.