Parenting & Family

What is difference between textbook, workbook and key book?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 26th, 2020 10:01 am
[OP]
Mar 6, 2010
446 posts
152 upvotes
Brampton

What is difference between textbook, workbook and key book?

Can someone please help me understand what are differences or differentiating points of the above mentioned text book formats specially for Grade 11 and 12?
Thanks
5 replies
Jan 8, 2011
500 posts
122 upvotes
London
I’m a teacher but we don’t use a lot of these anymore in elementary school at least.

But my understanding is that a textbook would be a read only book (so words and pictures you read and questions you would answer in another book), while a workbook would be a book that students actually write and complete activities right in. Often, if a workbook is associated with a program that also uses a textbook, the two will relate and sometimes the textbook would refer to the workbook pages that correspond with a lesson or topic. A key book would contain the answers to the exercises and activities in the workbook so that student answers can be checked or marked.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3254 posts
1085 upvotes
Woodbridge
This is my interpretation. Textbook includes background information, readings, practice problems, explanations, lessons, questions etc. It’s usually full colour, includes images and all sorts of other stuff. Workbook is a collection of what most people would consider worksheets. Black line masters, bunch of questions. A key book includes the answer to the questions in the textbook and/or workbook.
[OP]
Mar 6, 2010
446 posts
152 upvotes
Brampton
Thanks sn02py and OntEdTchr.
I got it except for one more question - Do Key books contain just the answers or the full solution (with steps) and the answer?
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2010
1358 posts
348 upvotes
luking wrote: Thanks sn02py and OntEdTchr.
I got it except for one more question - Do Key books contain just the answers or the full solution (with steps) and the answer?
At the university level they do. I have never seen a "key book" in highschool though (that's the level I teach now), although I would assume it would be the same as the university "key" books .