• Last Updated:
  • Aug 25th, 2021 2:46 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12217 posts
7298 upvotes

What to do with 1.5 lb lean moose

I have a 700 g (1.5 lb) chunk of lean moose meat in my freezer that I am not sure what do do about. I do not want to treat it like a beef roast because it is lean, has that moose-y flavour, and needs to be well-done because it is wild. What can I do with it that is not too moose-y?

Anyone?
52 replies
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12217 posts
7298 upvotes
evilYoda wrote: Image
I suppose that is one way of tackling the problem. I was thinking of something with turnips.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8402 posts
4083 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Lean can make it tough. What cut? Something braised in liquid?
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12217 posts
7298 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: Lean can make it tough. What cut? Something braised in liquid?
I do not know what part of the moose it is from but I expect very lean muscle of some sort. It is all wrapped up and frozen so I have to guess. I think I will have to stew or braise it. I am looking for some sort of treatment that will reduce the moose-iness through the braising liquid or sauce because these things eat fir trees - they are very gamey to me. Livery. I do not like red meat + bacon or that would be an option.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5992 posts
1342 upvotes
Toronto
Get some double smoked bacon from the butcher, grind it together with the moose meat to get it's fat % up, and make some burgers. I've watched that episode of Moosemeat and Marmalade where they did that.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
13017 posts
7126 upvotes
No Frills wrote: Get some double smoked bacon from the butcher, grind it together with the moose meat to get it's fat % up, and make some burgers. I've watched that episode of Moosemeat and Marmalade where they did that.
Was thinking exactly this. Add some fat and make burgers.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
50022 posts
14067 upvotes
ONTARIO
If its that lean… grind a ratio of 70% moose meat and 30% bacon.
Season ground meat with basil, fennel, salt, pepper, paprika, just free style it. But make sure a but of fennel is in there thats good @ neutralizing that game taste.

Use ground meat style…
-meat balls
-burgers
-sausage

-kabobs.

Especially kabobs. Like indian style. Now you gotta mix in fresh chopped coriander, cumin, tumeric into the meat mix. Those strong flavours will do a good job mitigating the gaminess.

Or Make a curry…
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19661 posts
6594 upvotes
Toronto
Soooooo moose meat doesn't make for very good replacement in Hamburger helper?
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12217 posts
7298 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: Especially kabobs. Like indian style. Now you gotta mix in fresh chopped coriander, cumin, tumeric into the meat mix. Those strong flavours will do a good job mitigating the gaminess.

Or Make a curry…
If it were up to me this would be moose vindaloo because it probably would make a good sub for goat, which is lean & gamey too, but my buddy does not like strong spices.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12217 posts
7298 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: Soooooo moose meat doesn't make for very good replacement in Hamburger helper?
It has this weird taste to it like liver. My buddy wants to do it as a roast, he tells me now. I think I will invite a guest, get him to take home the leftovers, & have a good cheese & crackers spread for me to fill up on beforehand lol.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12217 posts
7298 upvotes
Gutty96 wrote: Was thinking exactly this. Add some fat and make burgers.
We do not have an outdoor grill so it would be on the grill pan indoors & I am not sure I would kill the moos-iness with just bacon. Plus I would have double what I started with, maybe 8-10 burgers. I think the Poet is on the right track with the season the hell out of it approach. If I am stuck doing a roast maybe a good red wine gravy with something extra in it (shitake mushrooms?) will make up for the gamy taste.

When I do burgers on the grill pan I strain & save the fat so that can go towards a gravy. Just have to find one that is powerful enough to drown a moose.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19661 posts
6594 upvotes
Toronto
lecale wrote: It has this weird taste to it like liver.
Good to know. I personally hate liver.
Here's a source that would know best what can be done with lean Moose meat: https://www.carmichaelmeats.ca/
(The gentleman has been making a living selling his meats for YEARS!)
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1731 upvotes
Clarington, ON
Without being aware of the cut, would sous vide be an option?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
50022 posts
14067 upvotes
ONTARIO
getting creative… moose bulgogi? Korean style.
Freeze. Slice thin. Like paper thin. Frozen almost solid and start shaving off one end.
Now marinade those thin slices with

-chopped garlic
-lots of chopped onion
-purred pear
-miso
-cochuchang korean chili paste

Have that sitting there for a solid 24 hours.

Stir fry.

Eat with a side of seaweed salad, kimchi and rice.

I wonder would that do anything?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12217 posts
7298 upvotes
KevinM56081 wrote: Without being aware of the cut, would sous vide be an option?
Yes, but I do not have a setup. It is most typically stewed & benefits a lot from low & slow roasting.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12217 posts
7298 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: getting creative… moose bulgogi? Korean style.
Freeze. Slice thin. Like paper thin. Frozen almost solid and start shaving off one end.
Now marinade those thin slices with

-chopped garlic
-lots of chopped onion
-purred pear
-miso
-cochuchang korean chili paste

Have that sitting there for a solid 24 hours.

Stir fry.

Eat with a side of seaweed salad, kimchi and rice.

I wonder would that do anything?
That would be killer but my buddy who I am dining with is just a regular kind of guy that likes 1950's-1960's North American cookbooks, some Mennonite & European stuff. I cannot get fancy on him. It has to be something a trapper would have eaten 5-7 decades ago lol.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6598 posts
6074 upvotes
lecale wrote: I have a 700 g (1.5 lb) chunk of lean moose meat in my freezer that I am not sure what do do about. I do not want to treat it like a beef roast because it is lean, has that moose-y flavour, and needs to be well-done because it is wild. What can I do with it that is not too moose-y?

Anyone?
I'm curious about the statement in bold. Is this is a fact or something you're assuming?
UrbanPoet wrote: getting creative… moose bulgogi? Korean style.
Interesting you mention this. Never heard about it before until today at Costco - was going to pick up a package but decided not to in case I didn't like it. Have you tried this one https://www.costco.com/bibigo-beef-bulg ... 38545.html