• Last Updated:
  • Feb 25th, 2018 4:41 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2004
1996 posts
367 upvotes

What to do about blocked phone numbers?

I am getting a lot of annoying phone calls from a range of numbers that I have programmed on my phone to block and not answer. I have quite a log history of the phone numbers. Can anything be done to have the phone numbers investigated?? Whoever is calling, never leaves any voice message.
11 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2004
1996 posts
367 upvotes
All good answers and suggestions.
I do think it is a crime of harassment to constantly keep calling and not leaving a message.
I am even getting text messages to contact them. One in particular..

IMPORTANT MESSAGE FOR JEREMY HENRY. PLEASE CALL 18663878751, QUOTE 1151414804. IF YOU RECEIVED THIS MESSAGE IN ERROR PLEASE RESPOND INDICATING SO.

A google trace of the calls and texts I have been getting seem to point at a Call Center in Kelowna BC.

My name isn't Jeremy Henry and I don't know anyone of that name.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
3315 posts
2078 upvotes
Montreal
Well google shows it's a collection agency, if you don't owe anything then somebody with name similar to yours have. Quite common for these scumbags to call everybody with even remotely similar names to ask for money.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2004
1996 posts
367 upvotes
jzmtl wrote: Well google shows it's a collection agency, if you don't owe anything then somebody with name similar to yours have. Quite common for these scumbags to call everybody with even remotely similar names to ask for money.
What's the logic of a collection agency not wanting to leave a voice message or immediately hang up if the call is answered?
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13849 posts
1337 upvotes
jbfd wrote: What's the logic of a collection agency not wanting to leave a voice message or immediately hang up if the call is answered?
Because people are getting better at collecting evidence of collection agencies harassing them, so agencies try to toe the line between intimidating you, and not getting caught. Part of that is trying to give as little information about themselves as possible.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1906 posts
1416 upvotes
GTA West
Collection agencies are hard to shake. I once had to cancel a mobile number because it had previously belonged to an indebted person, and I experienced the miserable telephone life of a debtor. These guys/gals are relentless and aggressive!

Nothing I said to them could dissuade them I was not the indebted person, and I could not complain about them because they refused to give me their business name or address.

They insisted that I would have to give them my name and address before they would clear up the record. Yeah, sure! They would have been coming to my house!
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15065 posts
2649 upvotes
CBV Collection Services Ltd.

Debt collecting in Toronto, Ontario
Address: 1200-100 Sheppard Ave E, North York, ON M2N

Phone: (416) 482-9323
Province: Ontario

call them..
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
4955 posts
1492 upvotes
0 downvotes
Be careful when blocking numbers, some telemarketers use valid phone numbers of unsuspecting people to call you, so what that means is the number that you receive is real but it does not belong to the telemarketer, it was spoofed and can be a legitimate number of someone else or a valid unrelated business or person.

I know cus one week I got like 50 calls and a crap load of voice messages from angry people complaining about me calling them. At first I did not buy it and was yelling back at them and insisting that I did not call them, then It hit me, someone spoofed my number cus the guy read back my phone number and said I had just called him and I knew I was a victim of spoofing.
Hi
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2004
1996 posts
367 upvotes
eldiablo wrote: CBV Collection Services Ltd.

Debt collecting in Toronto, Ontario
Address: 1200-100 Sheppard Ave E, North York, ON M2N

Phone: (416) 482-9323
Province: Ontario

call them..
Call them about what? They are not the ones making nuisance phone calls and texts to my cell.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
8712 posts
5093 upvotes
ON
jbfd wrote: Call them about what? They are not the ones making nuisance phone calls and texts to my cell.
Exactly ! Just to let them know how it feels, lol . Leave the other company's phone number for them to reach you, in order to resolve the "issue". Then sit back and have a beer.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2748 posts
1975 upvotes
Heres some advice and it makes perfect sense. If you dont know the number why pick up? If its that important then they will leave a message
Smash that like button!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2004
1996 posts
367 upvotes
6mthatch wrote: Heres some advice and it makes perfect sense. If you dont know the number why pick up? If its that important then they will leave a message
Good advice but why should someone have to put up with the same number calling me five times a day. Of course I don't answer the call. I have a log of accumulated times the caller has rang me. I programmed the number to go unanswered.