what to do with this ceiling gap?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 6th, 2021 7:57 pm
[OP]
Jul 7, 2020
310 posts
60 upvotes

what to do with this ceiling gap?

My other half of finished garage looks like this. Wondering if I should just do spray foam using a Big gap filler foam or just leave as it is. Looking for recommendations please. We have one of our upstairs rooms right on top of that ceiling.
Images
  • 20210805_090914.jpg
  • 20210805_090814.jpg
  • 20210805_090808.jpg
15 replies
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
5296 posts
1628 upvotes
0 downvotes
I second the suggestion to put the foam backer rod shove it inside the gap and put some caulking around the outside of the seams
Hi
Oct 7, 2007
614 posts
159 upvotes
Markham
nowhere2010 wrote: thanks for your quick response.
Do you mean this? - https://www.homedepot.ca/product/quikre ... 1000685212
You mean just lay this rod inside and push to some extent and then leave all other inside parts as it is unsealed and then apply caulking outside ?
That's the right product. You size the backer rod slightly larger than the gap size. The backer rood acts as support for the caulking (https://conspecmaterials.com/shop/backe ... -the-foot/). Only the exposed side of the backer rod facing the garage would have caulking applied.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3522 posts
2518 upvotes
Toronto
Regardless of how you do it, the idea with a garage is that it's more or less air tight relative to the interior of the house. You don't want fumes entering the house.
Mar 24, 2009
137 posts
131 upvotes
KW
You don’t need anything where the drywall meets the blocks/beam. Foaming it is just a waste of time and money. The blocks are supporting the brick above. There are no gas fumes going into the house.

It’s an eyesore.

You can build a false wall in front. Or laminate some drywall onto the block. Use corner bead to finish. Put some mud on. This I would do…..
Oct 2, 2018
923 posts
781 upvotes
Toronto
If you're going to go foam backer rod and caulking, then you might as well drywall over that piece of ceiling where your garage door opener is attached.

No harm doing it as it's a relatively small weekend chore to keep busy, knock it off and move on to the next issue that irks you every time you walk by it.

Cheers,
Youth is the gift of nature, while age is a work of art.
Mar 24, 2009
137 posts
131 upvotes
KW
torontotim wrote: Please enlighten us on this assertion.
Actually I can. I will write slowly for you.

Look closely at the picture. Are you still with me?

You will see someone ripped off a piece of tape along the corner of the beam and the block wall.

That’s called “gas proofing”.

Unlike you…..I know what I’m writing about.
[OP]
Jul 7, 2020
310 posts
60 upvotes
raptormaniac wrote: Actually I can. I will write slowly for you.

You will see someone ripped off a piece of tape along the corner of the beam and the block wall.

So am I not supposed to seal that area now or caulk? What exactly should I do?
[OP]
Jul 7, 2020
310 posts
60 upvotes
BTW, I'm not parking my car in my garage and my car is parked outside all day as I'm using garage mainly as small home gym etc. So in this case, can I safely seal all gaps inside?
Jan 21, 2011
810 posts
334 upvotes
GTA
Do you ever notice water dripping from those drywall joints?
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3522 posts
2518 upvotes
Toronto
raptormaniac wrote: Actually I can. I will write slowly for you.

LOL - pretty big assumption from a single photo showing a short section of tape. When you've inspected the entire garage, feel free to let us know that there are no leaks between the garage and the house.

Unlike you, I don't make absolute assertions based on limited evidence.
Mar 24, 2009
137 posts
131 upvotes
KW
torontotim wrote: LOL - pretty big assumption from a single photo showing a short section of tape. When you've inspected the entire garage, feel free to let us know that there are no leaks between the garage and the house.

Unlike you, I don't make absolute assertions based on limited evidence.
I can explain it to you but I can’t make you understand it!!
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2004
1657 posts
574 upvotes
Oakville
Isn't the vapour barrier supposed to be on the warm side of the wall/ceiling assembly?
If you also seal up the exposed cold side nice and tight, then aren't you making a mould sandwich trapping moisture inside the wall/ceiling.
I would think the only reason to do anything is to keep rodents out and make it less of an eye sore.