Green / Eco-Friendly

Locked: What to do with Dog owner that do not pick up poop?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 18th, 2017 4:27 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 17, 2013
583 posts
36 upvotes

What to do with Dog owner that do not pick up poop?

We have noticed and seen this particular dog owner of a big German Shepard that walks his dog but never picks up the dog's poop. Should we do something or just keep a blind eye since the poop fertilizes the grass?
25 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9280 posts
3006 upvotes
London
That's some interesting logic.
Oct 17, 2013
583 posts
36 upvotes
Ottomaddox wrote: That's some interesting logic.
so what would you do?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9280 posts
3006 upvotes
London
oneseasonleft wrote: so what would you do?
Me personally? I don't like having turds on my grass, so I'd probably turn my security camera to capture the offense a few times. I'd then tell the person to stop it, if I caught them. I might also follow them, and return the item they left on my lawn to their mailbox if the situation didn't improve immediately.

There's repellant products you can sprinkle near objects that tend to be turd/piss magnets, but being cheap, I'd only use them as a last resort.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
If it ends up on my property or sidewalk in front of my house then I would run out and tell the person to either pick it up or I will but then I am going to throw it at them.
Oct 17, 2013
583 posts
36 upvotes
eonibm wrote: If it ends up on my property or sidewalk in front of my house then I would run out and tell the person to either pick it up or I will but then I am going to throw it at them.
that would be an assault charge right there.
Jul 17, 2013
337 posts
79 upvotes
Confront them politely first. If they continue it, have paper bags and a lighter ready :)

(But to be serious, I would definitely leave it in front of their door if they don't start picking it up after I ask them to. Just maybe not lit on fire...)
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2516 upvotes
eonibm wrote: If it ends up on my property or sidewalk in front of my house then I would run out and tell the person to either pick it up or I will but then I am going to throw it at them.
They will come back when u r sleeping and set ur house on fire since they know where u live. Worth it?

On the other side of the coin, u could follow these people to find out where they live and then complain anonymously to the city about bylaw violations on their property.
Jan 17, 2009
57 posts
56 upvotes
Ottawa
On the flip side as a dog owner who always without fails picks up, I already feel guilty enough when my dog does his business on your lawn. I'm sorry, there is not much I can do when it starts to happen. You running out of your house to yell at me doesn't accomplish much other than make me feel worse, and to mentally block off your house as a potentially dangerous spot, who knows what you might try to do to 'protect your lawn'. Yelling at me to pick it up, as I am visibly pulling a bag out confuses me, as I have already started the process of complying with your wishes.

Out of curiosity, is there a by law (I know this would be specific to a community) but generally, that prohibits a third party animal from using ones lawn as a bathroom?
Dec 22, 2008
622 posts
22 upvotes
GTA
I would tell him to pick it up.
Mangez wrote: On the flip side as a dog owner who always without fails picks up, I already feel guilty enough when my dog does his business on your lawn. I'm sorry, there is not much I can do when it starts to happen. You running out of your house to yell at me doesn't accomplish much other than make me feel worse, and to mentally block off your house as a potentially dangerous spot, who knows what you might try to do to 'protect your lawn'. Yelling at me to pick it up, as I am visibly pulling a bag out confuses me, as I have already started the process of complying with your wishes.

Out of curiosity, is there a by law (I know this would be specific to a community) but generally, that prohibits a third party animal from using ones lawn as a bathroom?
As a dog owner, there's an easy way to make sure that doesn't happen - keep your dog off someones property. None of my dogs have ever done their business on someone else's property and my current dog is stubborn and will 'go' right where she's standing no matter what. If they're leashed, lead them off someone's lawn (or better yet, don't give them the chance to go roaming around various lawns to begin with) and they'll get the hint eventually. So as bad as you might feel, there really is no excuse to let it continue to happen. At least you do pick it up, too many don't.

As for your question, I don't think there's a bylaw prohibiting it specifically. The bylaws more address excrement and outline the immediate removal of it.
Jan 26, 2008
837 posts
78 upvotes
Scarborough
I have a dog myself and always clean up; however, there're still traces of turd on the grass. I'd say I pick up 95% of it most of the time. But in your case, I would record it and let them know it's by law. If not, report it with your recorded video.
Jun 30, 2009
905 posts
383 upvotes
Vancouver
Additional note: dog feces is bacteria-laden, like most feces. It needs to be properly composted before being considered used for fertilizer. Leaving poop on your lawn won't help it.
Banned
May 3, 2008
302 posts
42 upvotes
toronto
95% of problems go away on their own.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
oneseasonleft wrote: that would be an assault charge right there.
The police would laugh. Also, they assaulted my yard first!
Deal Addict
May 31, 2006
1109 posts
120 upvotes
Burlington
FreddyDriver wrote: 95% of problems go away on their own.
Well... the poop itself does decompose over time! :D

Unfortunately, the thoughtless owners seem to go on forever... at least the ones in my neighbourhood that walk their dogs off-leash and think it's okay to let said dogs leave 'presents' in my yard. :evil:

Don't get me wrong: I love dogs. Many of the clueless folks that own 'em... not so much. :facepalm:
Deal Addict
May 31, 2009
2623 posts
162 upvotes
It's full of nutrients no? Can't u cook it into a cake?
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21701 posts
17374 upvotes
Markham
CenturyBreak wrote: Well... the poop itself does decompose over time! :D

Unfortunately, the thoughtless owners seem to go on forever... at least the ones in my neighbourhood that walk their dogs off-leash and think it's okay to let said dogs leave 'presents' in my yard. :evil:

Don't get me wrong: I love dogs. Many of the clueless folks that own 'em... not so much. :facepalm:
"thoughtless owners seem to go on forever" -> unfortunately they don't seem to read the owners manual. There are also owners who let their dogs out at 6am or earlier and the dog is outside barking away or owners who "play" with the dogs when neighbous are outside. It's rampant disregard to people around them that drives me nuts.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
9333 posts
5629 upvotes
Not to hijack the thread but...inconsiderate owners who think everyone loooves dogs and brings them to the kindergarten pick-up where the multiple dogs start going mental at each other, pulling on their leashes and barking their heads off. Adorable!
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Oct 8, 2014
34 posts
Nepean, ON
The most appropriate thing to do is to knock on their door. Immediately explain who you are and where you live and politely ask him not to let his dog on your lawn whatsoever. Don't give him an ounce of wiggle room; no "Please pick up your dog crap"; tell him straight up, No dogs on my lawn, ever.
I'm only assuming you know where buddy lives... You know his dog type, and he must live close. If he doesn't care enough about the responsibilities of owning a dog then I'm sure he only walks him for like 10 minutes every day. That's an assumption though.