Shopping Discussion

What to do with an empty Ikea gift card purchased at Save on foods?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 20th, 2021 9:19 pm
[OP]
Sep 22, 2005
816 posts
216 upvotes
BC

What to do with an empty Ikea gift card purchased at Save on foods?

Waited for 36 hours(stipulated on the gift card) to make a purchase on line. The card is empty. Called Ikea, no help, asked to call Cashstar(Ikea gift card operator), it's located in the states, unable to help, but confirm the card number is in their systems but no value attached.
Save on foods said they have no way to verify it and there is nothing they can do about gift cards.

I have the receipt showing the card activated.

Anybody has the same experience? what else can I do?
8 replies
Jun 17, 2006
576 posts
330 upvotes
Calgary
Try a chargeback on your credit card.
eBay Feedback: 118 and counting.
[OP]
Sep 22, 2005
816 posts
216 upvotes
BC
Will gift card consumer protection BC be a better route? I only have the receipt showing the card activated. Cashstar is saying I need to call IKEA Canada. They only deal with egift card and card purchased at Ikea. In US, they don't sell Ikea cards elsewhere.
Aug 6, 2014
119 posts
100 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
iceage wrote: Will gift card consumer protection BC be a better route? I only have the receipt showing the card activated. Cashstar is saying I need to call IKEA Canada. They only deal with egift card and card purchased at Ikea. In US, they don't sell Ikea cards elsewhere.
I feel like you should complain to the point-of-sale, Save on Foods, given it appears they didn't load properly and are not taking responsibility for it. Did you try contacting head office or the store manager?
[OP]
Sep 22, 2005
816 posts
216 upvotes
BC
ciantech wrote: I feel like you should complain to the point-of-sale, Save on Foods, given it appears they didn't load properly and are not taking responsibility for it. Did you try contacting head office or the store manager?
I(
Yeah, I called the save on's customer service line, and was told to go back to the store for exchange. I am not sure if it's an easy task. I only purchased best buy, apple(all in one) gift cards in 50s or 100s here and there at save ons and never had any issues. This is my first time to buy an Ikea gift card. But Ikea one is very strange, no online balance check, 36 hours wait, then the card is not valid. If I can print off a screenshot, I think I will have better chance at save on customer service desk.
Oct 1, 2003
780 posts
609 upvotes
Vancouver
Same thing happened to me, but with Safeway.

What's up with these Ikea gift cards?! Stupid Ikea Gift Cards along with all the other Ikea Stupidness ($5 charge for curbside pick up and 2 hr waits when picking up yourself)

I went back to the store, and they sent an email to head office to investigate. They said maybe hear back in a couple of weeks.

I checked a couple of days later, and the balance showed up. I called back the Safeway and told them the money is there, and to cancel the investigation.

Don't think my situation will help you much, but maybe give you hope that it will show up in a couple of days more.

Yeah, I hate buying gift cards from these places. I always get very anxious. I always think something will screw up.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13055 posts
8292 upvotes
Markham
Probably not a good idea to buy GC that issued by third party partners. As a consumer, we could just stuck in between

Ikea shouldn't ask customers to talk to issuers, they should handle customers issues directly and deal with issuer behind the scenes
[OP]
Sep 22, 2005
816 posts
216 upvotes
BC
I didn't have high hope but the store's customer service called Ikea and she was told they couldn't find the card number so I got the refund.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)