Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 1, 2015
897 posts
497 upvotes
Toronto, ON

What To Do With Fido Dollars

ive come to the conclusion these are essentially useless if I'm planning to leave Fido. I just started with Telus, and the downside is I have to give up my number after 12 years with it, and take a new Telus number (not portable w/ employee plan). Anyone have any suggestions to do with these FidoDollars? I have around $120
5 replies
May 18, 2011
60 posts
135 upvotes
I'm in a similar situation where I have been accumulating Fido Dollars for some time. At this point your only option is really to purchase a device outright and pay the difference (previously, you were able to buy accessories too, but looks like they got rid of those options). The cheapest phones that Fido offers is about $200 (ZTE Grand X Plus) to $225 (Samsung Galaxy Core), so you'd have to fork over $100 out of pocket. No idea who much you could re-sell it BNIB, but you could keep it as a back up phone. A rep I talked to over the weekend said Fido Dollars expire 6 years after you accumulate them, which is pretty lame. Not only that, only legacy plans will generate Fido Dollars - any new plans they have on their website don't earn any, so all existing Fido customers are in a bind on how to use up these useless "rewards".
[OP]
Feb 1, 2015
897 posts
497 upvotes
Toronto, ON
skwaired wrote: I'm in a similar situation where I have been accumulating Fido Dollars for some time. At this point your only option is really to purchase a device outright and pay the difference (previously, you were able to buy accessories too, but looks like they got rid of those options). The cheapest phones that Fido offers is about $200 (ZTE Grand X Plus) to $225 (Samsung Galaxy Core), so you'd have to fork over $100 out of pocket. No idea who much you could re-sell it BNIB, but you could keep it as a back up phone. A rep I talked to over the weekend said Fido Dollars expire 6 years after you accumulate them, which is pretty lame. Not only that, only legacy plans will generate Fido Dollars - any new plans they have on their website don't earn any, so all existing Fido customers are in a bind on how to use up these useless "rewards".
I find the whole "reward" program not very rewarding. Don't think it's a very big deal they're getting rid of the program considering you need to be with them for a long time before you accumulate any substantial amount. The customer service department is horrendous. Every time I've called I've spoken to someone who speaks poor English and just argues with me.
Jan 22, 2014
763 posts
577 upvotes
ironmen77 wrote: The customer service department is horrendous. Every time I've called I've spoken to someone who speaks poor English and just argues with me.
Man, I can't agree more. Last time they screwed up my bill and I had to call. The representative was basically yelling at me trying to say nothing is wrong. Then I told her she can't yell and she got scared. She finally figured out what was wrong. I asked her to connect me to her supervisor and she really got nervous and offered me $10. I refused and insisted on talking to the supervisor. From my experience, other than being completely unprofessional, they are very incompetent. I've been a Fido customer for about 10 years.
As for the points, I've always used them to buy new phones.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2007
3203 posts
883 upvotes
Northern Hemisphere
You can try to sell Fido dollars on Kijiji or RFD for 10% - 20% off
For wars they come and go, but my soldiers stay eternal.- Tupac
Feb 28, 2015
52 posts
39 upvotes
Toronto, ON
You can also use Fido dollars to buy a travel plan when you're out of Canada. That's what I plan on doing with mine. But yeah, totally agree - not all that rewarding!!