Shopping Discussion

What to do if CP lost an international parcel ?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 18th, 2019 8:15 am
[OP]
Jul 17, 2019
6 posts

What to do if CP lost an international parcel ?

I have never shipped an item by myself, so I had pretty much 0 knowledge about using a shipping company.

I sent an used Ipad for my parents in Korea using Canada Post Small packet air International 3 months ago.
This was an untrackable option because the trackable one was almost doubled price, and I didn't think the parcel would be lost at all. This was my fault.
I was given a single form to put From/To and the content explanation/value.
Stupidly, I didn't put my name nor phone number, just because it didn't have an area to put. (Asked CP a month later, they said it's not required to ask customer to put their name/phone number)

The parcel has not delivered yet, my parents contacted Korea Custom and post office, and they were told that the parcel to their town never arrived to Korea at all. (they live in very rural area)
So, It must be still sitting in Canada's custom or on the staff who helped me sending the parcel, because she knew what I was sending. (hate to doubt though)
I've contacted CP several times, but because this was untrackable, they were not willing to help, and some of them even left while I was asking.

Now, my last chance would be contacting the custom, but does Canada custom even have a customer service that I can contact ?
16 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5732 posts
5213 upvotes
Not much you can do... Don't cheap out next time - always get tracking on items of value.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15472 posts
12667 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Not a Canada Customs - CBSA Issue
Prob not a Canada Post Issue either
(Especially so if you did not buy insurance)

Most likely the item was stolen in transit ... AFTER it left Canada / while it travelled abroad

The odds of this increase if
1- You declared on the shipping label that it was an iPad / Apple Product
2- You didn’t insure it

Lol, love how quick Cdns are to blame one OF OUR OWN Public Servants *
Vs one in another country
Or not owe up to THE FACT that they actually set themselves up for crap like this to happen cuz they cheaped out by not buying insurance

* Truth is our Public Servants got better things to do ... than risk their jobs over stealing a USED iPAD :rolleyes:
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6395 posts
1065 upvotes
I agree. Not a Canada Customs problem. They don't look at outgoing mail, only incoming. If you described it as an iPad and didn't insure it then that was very foolish of you. Apple products are very highly sought after .....by thieves. There is nothing whatsoever that you can do now. After 3 months its long gone.
[OP]
Jul 17, 2019
6 posts
PointsHubby wrote: Not a Canada Customs - CBSA Issue
Prob not a Canada Post Issue either
(Especially so if you did not buy insurance)

Most likely the item was stolen in transit ... AFTER it left Canada / while it travelled abroad

The odds of this increase if
1- You declared on the shipping label that it was an iPad / Apple Product
2- You didn’t insure it

Lol, love how quick Cdns are to blame one OF OUR OWN Public Servants *
Vs one in another country
Or not owe up to THE FACT that they actually set themselves up for crap like this to happen cuz they cheaped out by not buying insurance

* Truth is our Public Servants got better things to do ... than risk their jobs over stealing a USED iPAD :rolleyes:
That's true.
Though, I was suspicious about everyone during the transit, but I don't know how many people went over my parcel, but I was only aware of staffs at CP, Customs from both countries,
and because the staff at korean custom confirmed they didn't receive any parcel from Canada especially to the location where my parents live, I was only be able to doubt staffs in Canada.
Also, after I found out that CP themselves don't have any record to track an untrackable parcel down for their own, I thought it wouldn't be a risk to steal since nobody would even notice who stole.

It is also true that I was dumb enough to cheap out.
But, $60 for a 1kg small box was expensive in my PoV because From Korea to Canada was $2-30 for same weight and size.
So I didn't want to spend extra 60 dollars for an USED Ipad with trackable option while untrackable option is also guaranteed to be delivered confirmed by CP staff.

The reason I pissed off at CP at first place is because I paid a delivery company for delivery and somewhat they failed to do so.
[OP]
Jul 17, 2019
6 posts
woof wrote: I agree. Not a Canada Customs problem. They don't look at outgoing mail, only incoming. If you described it as an iPad and didn't insure it then that was very foolish of you. Apple products are very highly sought after .....by thieves. There is nothing whatsoever that you can do now. After 3 months its long gone.
Probably someone stole during the transit then.
I wasn't sure If I should put value of the content as its original new price or avg used value, so I asked the staff at CP about it.
She asked what the content is, I said it's an Ipad and she wrote "Used Ipad " and its value as $200, and that was it.
Probably this was the reason it's lost / stolen. :(
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2541 posts
1324 upvotes
London
Nothing u can do small packet has no way for them to trace it contacting customs will do no good as they will ask u for a tracking number witch u wont have and they will say nothing we can do. it use to have $100 insurance before tracked packet came out but as soon as that came out the removed it to force u to pay more for tracking to get the insurance.

did u have the finder thing turned on maybe u can sign into icloud and use that to track it I'm not an apple user so not sure how all that works though.
Sep 19, 2004
647 posts
277 upvotes
Yhobbit wrote: That's true.
Though, I was suspicious about everyone during the transit, but I don't know how many people went over my parcel, but I was only aware of staffs at CP, Customs from both countries,
and because the staff at korean custom confirmed they didn't receive any parcel from Canada especially to the location where my parents live, I was only be able to doubt staffs in Canada.
Also, after I found out that CP themselves don't have any record to track an untrackable parcel down for their own, I thought it wouldn't be a risk to steal since nobody would even notice who stole.

But, $60 for a 1kg small box was expensive in my PoV because From Korea to Canada was $2-30 for same weight and size.
So I didn't want to spend extra 60 dollars for an USED Ipad with trackable option while untrackable option is also guaranteed to be delivered confirmed by CP staff.

The reason I pissed off at CP at first place is because I paid a delivery company for delivery and somewhat they failed to do so.
Anything could happen at anywhere.

Can’t it be staff of the airline or freight company or even korean customs stealing it? You CAN NOT rule these out.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15472 posts
12667 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Yhobbit wrote: That's true.
Again, Canada Customs /. BSA only handles international mail INBOUND TO CANADA
Lol, like thieves don’t tell lies.
Seriously what else would they say ... whether it’s the truth or not
No record, cuz you didn’t pay for tracking
In the same way, it is here with domestic mail
You slap on stamps ... and you are done
Letter / Envelope / Parcel goes on its way
No way for Canada Post to tell you where that item is between your house and it’s Destination in Canada

Now ... you pay extra for tracking ... and Canada Post can tell you where that item is ... cuz it has a bar code that is scanned enroute ... so they know where it is between your house and the final destination

Lesson learned

You get what you pay for

You send something of value you either pay to track / insure it
Or you take your chances

Unfortunately you took your chances & lost
Not just the $ 60 it would have cost you
But the whole $ 200 that the USED iPad was worth
In retrospect $ 60 was a bargain
[OP]
Jul 17, 2019
6 posts
I'm not going to argue about it anymore, but you are just getting into wrong point.
I said I "was" suspicious about everyone because I was not aware of how they handle the items. So that is that.
PointsHubby wrote: Lol, like thieves don’t tell lies.
Seriously what else would they say ... whether it’s the truth or not
That's what you said. Unless the public agency in Korea who helped out to check the parcel wasn't the same person who stole it, why would they even lie and risk their job over stealing an USED IPAD?
It won't be like only one person is dealing with the parcels and customer services altogether.
Lesson learned

You get what you pay for

You send something of value you either pay to track / insure it
Or you take your chances
Yes, I learned a lesson that I should spend more money to get the item successfully delivered.

Though, what you said, "You get what you pay for" :
Doesn't it sound like the delivery is like a gamble with the delivery?
People during the transit were honest enough to successfully deliver the item? won the gamble.
it's lost? you lost money.

Maybe they should warn customers that it can be lost during the transit, and they are not responsible about it.
Then I would've bought insurance and tracking code.
Maybe I had too much faith in them.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15472 posts
12667 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Yhobbit wrote: I'm not going to argue about it anymore, but you are just getting into wrong point.

Maybe they should warn customers that it can be lost during the transit, and they are not responsible about it.
Then I would've bought insurance and tracking code.
Maybe I had too much faith in them.
Lol, I got the wrong point.

They sell INSURANCE for a reason... stuff gets lost / stolen enroute to its destination

Sometimes in Canada
But more often abroad (where Canada Post has no direct influence over the local mail service)

INSURANCE ... you buy it to mitigate risk

Same way you have insurance on your car ... you don’t plan on being in a car accident ... but stuff happens.

And most often it’s the OTHER GUY not your side, you gotta worry about.

Same thing with Canada Post and the mail on International Shipments.

And BTW ... it’s up to the Consumer to educate themselves on how things work ... if you continue to rely on the Seller, I can guarantee you this ... it won’t be the first time you’ll be disappointed ... nor will this be your last thread on RFD
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2005
1646 posts
1349 upvotes
Does anyone know if the sender would be required to fill in additional paperwork due sending a device with a lithium battery internationally, despite being a tablet and used? If so, and the sender failed to do this, it's a possibility the shipment was seized.

A few years ago I purchased a laptop that was defective. Returning it back to the seller in the US was a major pain as I had to get appropriate paperwork filled out, because it contained a battery. I called into multiple carriers for information on how to fill out these forms as it wasn't just a simple 'checkbox here if item contains a battery'. The shipment was detained in the US and after calling in to multiple departments with the carrier and US customs, the shipment started moving again after a lengthy wait.

After that fiasco, I swore not to buy laptops from outside canada again (or send any device containing a battery internationally unless prepaid shipping labels with complete documentation are provided).
Always hungry ;)
Aug 9, 2005
117 posts
90 upvotes
Victoria
I did something similiar beginning of this year. I cheaped out cause so expensive with tracking.
$200+ item. to China. Impossible to track once it left Local post. Relative lives in rural area.
I waited months, yes 3+. Relatives tried contacting local post office, no trace they said.
My mistake was I forgot to put a phone number, according to my relatives.
They said the local post office always calls them to come get packages.
I didn't know that at the time. After many tries , nothing.
Relatives said post office too lazy to help you if you didn't put phone #?!
I waited 5 months and gave up it was stolen or lost.
Then after 6 months, package showed up on my doorstep->returned from china (no clear reason listed on package).
Not sure if Korea is the same?
Deal Guru
Feb 6, 2003
10593 posts
995 upvotes
Vancouver
No tracking, no insurance, you're SOL.

I shipped a package to the states using last month's free CP shipping promo (tracked packet, up to $100 insurance included). Tracking showed it was delivered but USPS screwed up and dropped it off at the wrong address. The owner wasn't home that week so it probably sat on the porch until someone took it. I logged into my CP account and filed a claim. I had to submit proof of the value (or replacement cost) of the items lost. I did so, and now I'm waiting for the cheque to arrive.
<< Public Mobile, Uber Eats, DoorDash, Tangerine, Coast Capital, STACK user >>
FS: Phanteks Low Profile Cooler | Athlon X2 265
MY HEATWARE
[OP]
Jul 17, 2019
6 posts
doggity wrote: I did something similiar beginning of this year. I cheaped out cause so expensive with tracking.
$200+ item. to China. Impossible to track once it left Local post. Relative lives in rural area.
I waited months, yes 3+. Relatives tried contacting local post office, no trace they said.
My mistake was I forgot to put a phone number, according to my relatives.
They said the local post office always calls them to come get packages.
I didn't know that at the time. After many tries , nothing.
Relatives said post office too lazy to help you if you didn't put phone #?!
I waited 5 months and gave up it was stolen or lost.
Then after 6 months, package showed up on my doorstep->returned from china (no clear reason listed on package).
Not sure if Korea is the same?
That's exactly what my situation is.
Stupidly, I didn't put neither phone # nor name on the parcel because it only had From/To on it and I just thought about putting the address only on it.
At least, yours was returned, maybe I should pray for it to be returned to my address then.
Thanks for sharing.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5732 posts
5213 upvotes
Isn't it more suspicious that the package "never arrived"? It was probably stolen after arriving in Korea.

It's highly unlikely that a Canada Post employee stole it... They are paid quite well and are under surveillance.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2004
8281 posts
2036 upvotes
Mississauga
This may have to be chalked up to a lesson on why tracking is important, and will let you decide if there is value in spending the extra on tracking + insurance.