Students

What to do with life

[OP]
Feb 28, 2020
1 posts
3 upvotes

What to do with life

Currently a first year student studying Life Sciences at x university, I've pulled pretty good grades surprisingly despite disliking a lot of my courses. I realized I don't see myself in this program anymore as I have no clue what I'd want to do in the future. I was good at sciences in high school so it was natural for me to go into something science related but now I'm facing the consequences of inadequate research and time given into really looking into universities and programs back when I was in high school and I can't help but think I completely screwed over my life.

Right now I'm struggling to find out what I want to transfer to - I'm pretty set on transferring as I really don't see myself enjoying or even passing upper year chemistry/biology courses. I sort of came to the conclusion that I wanted either Kinesiology at McMaster or BM/ BTM at Ryerson. Both are really different and have their own pros and cons. If I was to pursue kine it would be because I like helping others and I'm a pretty active person thats into fitness so that is a possible option. But a kine degree is otherwise quite useless - it's scary to hear how ppl with a kine degree end up being unemployed and have mediocre jobs if they hadn't got into PT/OT. On the otherhand, BM/BTM might be the change I need - I dont think sciences is the way to go anymore just b/c of my lost of interest. Although I do realize, pursuing BTM/BM is no easy task and that I'll have to get the grades/ network and try my hardest to get internships and to be able to land a decent job later in life. I've also never done anything tech related such as coding so I'm not too sure BTM is a smart choice - but I hear the co op program is good.

If you're still reading this, I guess my question is to those that pursued Kine or Business Management/ Business Technology Management, what was your thoughts on the program? any advice to someone that may pursue one of them.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated as I really don't know what to do in my situation and eventually I'll have to make a decision.

Thank you in advance!
13 replies
Apr 29, 2018
854 posts
482 upvotes
Vancouver
Business degrees are not really all that useful anymore imo. Not great for job prospects. I would suggest a STEM or BioTech or BioChem type option if available. Consider future job options before you make your decision.
Mar 6, 2015
739 posts
57 upvotes
samosoft23 wrote: now I'm facing the consequences of inadequate research and time given into really looking into universities and programs back when I was in high school. Both are really different and have their own pros and cons. If I was to pursue kine it would be because I like helping others and I'm a pretty active person thats into fitness so that is a possible option. But a kine degree is otherwise quite useless - it's scary to hear how ppl with a kine degree end up being unemployed and have mediocre jobs if they hadn't got into PT/OT. On the otherhand, BM/BTM might be the change I need - I dont think sciences is the way to go anymore just b/c of my lost of interest. Although I do realize, pursuing BTM/BM is no easy task and that I'll have to get the grades/ network and try my hardest to get internships and to be able to land a decent job later in life. I've also never done anything tech related such as coding so I'm not too sure BTM is a smart choice - but I hear the co op program is good.
Hello, on the positive side of things, you have already known that you did not research enough during your high school times and remedy the situation with the words of mouth talking to people. That talking --- whatever action by yourself or your surroundings --- produced some results that you appreciate. Secondly, you also switch the target to more about career --- the reasons that you worried about unemployment and loss of interest despite enjoying helping people.

I cannot provide advice but showed pointers from your past experience.
If the post or comment helps or delights you, please CLICK that LIKE BUTTON!😃
Meiji: Ambassador Swanbeck, I have concluded that your treaty is NOT in the best interests of my people. So sorry, but you may not.
Swanbeck: This is an outrage!
Sep 29, 2008
929 posts
191 upvotes
Mississauga
I studied CS at Ryerson, the BTM program has very little to do with coding or CS/math. It's a business degree suited to the IT world but not technical. I've heard people don't have trouble finding jobs but again the jobs won't be technical more like consulting and project management.
Jul 15, 2006
900 posts
70 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I work as a Career & Academic Advisor at a community college.

When I see students looking to change programs, I usually get them to complete MBTI assessment and Career Cruising. I recall Career Cruising is administered and interpreted quite poorly in high school settings; however, when you pair it with a personality/skills assessment, it does help in making a more informed decision.

I'd suggest contacting your institute's career centre to see if they can assist you with it, in line with a program change/education pathway.
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2017
1967 posts
612 upvotes
DT Calgary
How good are your grades? My biggest regret in University was not trying hard enough and doing whatever it took to get good marks. Apply to a professional program. For example, Queens Med School in your 2nd year.
Mar 6, 2015
739 posts
57 upvotes
Meiji: Ambassador Swanbeck, I have concluded that your treaty is NOT in the best interests of my people. So sorry, but you may not.
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3828 upvotes
Honestly, if I would pick again, I would go something as a tech for hospital. Radiology, Sonogram, etc. Good pay for low stress job
Mar 6, 2015
739 posts
57 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote: Honestly, if I would pick again, I would go something as a tech for hospital. Radiology, Sonogram, etc. Good pay for low stress job
No worries, people know it so on RFD student forum threads about that institute have the most posts...
Apr 22, 2019
15 posts
4 upvotes
kramer1 wrote: Business degrees are not really all that useful anymore imo. Not great for job prospects. I would suggest a STEM or BioTech or BioChem type option if available. Consider future job options before you make your decision.
Agree.

Pure Business Management degrees are valuable only if you have experience and the degree is just an add on to put on Resume or meet eligibility criteria.
For example : CEOs of a fast food company have moved to other industries based on XP +performance and not degree only as XP can applied across multi-industries.
But the problem is how you going to get XP if you dont have degree which is the ? in every industry which every new grad faces.

Similarly Business Technology Management degrees supplement Tech Grads who want to manage teams aka move up the ladder to Management domain while still staying in the tech domain. Just getting a Tech Management Degree wont give you a access to management role from the start.

Finally Business degrees are money makers fore colleges but have less value for stduents as the stuff they teach have no place in real world scenario.
Business ethics in books will never be used in real world.
HR in books will teach employee rights but in real world you will value saving costs more over human rights etc.
Business is all about pleasing all stakeholders which takes time to learn, develop and implement.Yes you are paid top dollars in management but it is so because you not only have to manage a bunch of the most complicated creatures on earth below you but also have to please as well as report to the same creatures above you.
Now employees that are sent by a company on paid study leave to get a biz degree; its a different story. (Or at least company agrees that they will give you a management role or pay increase if you get MBA etc is also a different story)

STEM or BioTech or BioChem are safe bets.
If I can add then stuff like Sonography, Nuclear Med Tech, Med Radio Tech etc which are restricted are safer bets.

Finally when I safer bets then I mean its easy to get job in general becuz of the odds at play.

But I dont know you so you have to decide and value yourself rather than others.
Just because most fail; means nothing as you could be the one among the minority that are desitined to succeeed.

Also if you feel Business is your calling:-
->then why not explore grants, schemes etc while still you are young and student by tipping your toes into starting something of your own business; even though it is easy to be said than done.
-> still want to an be employee then you can explore consultancy roles with companies like BCG etc
->Work in a company/ companies and have some footing in any industry. And only then go for a biz degree (relevant industry) if you get hints that a degree is gonna improve your pay and help you move up the ladder. You can check by checking job ads, or noticing if your collegue got a pay increase after doing a biz degree etc.
That way you get sure shot return on investment i.e. tution fees paid
Mar 6, 2015
739 posts
57 upvotes
istudyhard wrote:
No offense, per se and intended, but are you or have you been working in your field or industry for long time? I am thinking of credibility.
Apr 22, 2019
15 posts
4 upvotes
cybercavalier wrote: No offense, per se and intended, but are you or have you been working in your field or industry for long time? I am thinking of credibility.
Simple answer is No.
But I would say you can refute my credibility but my points should not judged purely on my credibilty as they are still valid & true; though its upto the reader to decide (or at least take into consideration while deciding pros & cons) and its none of my business.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
1286 posts
1771 upvotes
West
As someone who got an undergrad degree in Kinesiology, I would only consider it as a stepping stone. The degree was great to boost your knowledge of health & the human body - very applicable to your daily life, so I was happy with my choice. You emerge somewhat as a personal trainer that has a bit more background in anatomy/physiology, and perhaps some experience dealing with clinical populations. Aside from that though, the job market for kinesiologists is indeed limited.

There is zero growth potential, and generally most kinesiologists are rarely compensated well (i.e. either commission-based & underworked; or hourly and overworked). To be quite honest, you just deal with all the crap no one else wants to. In the hospital, you deal with watching people exercise in bed, and in private clinics, you do the same in the gym with the patients that your superiors don't want to deal with. There is some potential to work for Workers' Compensation type companies, which is a stressful, but decent job, if that's your thing.

If you wish to pursue PT/OT, or any other MSc in Rehab Sciences, go for it. Other than that, it's an enjoyable & informative degree to get, but I wouldn't count on a great job after.

... Also sorry - just realized this question was asked quite some time ago from a one hit wonder poster...
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
2633 posts
929 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
kramer1 wrote: Business degrees are not really all that useful anymore imo. Not great for job prospects. I would suggest a STEM or BioTech or BioChem type option if available. Consider future job options before you make your decision.
BioChem more useless than business degree. I'd agree with STEM/BIoTech though.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)