• Jan 8th, 2020 10:44 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
3654 posts
1044 upvotes
Toronto

What to do with Minix Android boxes?

So i've just replaced three Minix boxes from my house with Xiaomi Mibox's... They work pefectly fine, but wanted to switch to an AndroidTV operating system across all my TVs.

I have 2 X8-h Plus boxes and 1 X8-h... All have upgraded A2 lite air remotes added too.

Im sure that there is still value in these, and they work great for kodi and IPTV.

Any idea how much I should sell these for? Hopefully as a bundle.
20200101_191520_HDR.jpg
20200101_191606_HDR.jpg
13 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
1863 posts
231 upvotes
I have an X8-H Plus and it's been trash with no updates for a couple of years so not sure their value? Kodi runs on it but real slow compared to everything else and use Firesticks everywhere in the house now
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
19472 posts
4614 upvotes
Thornhill
Donate to a seniors home?
Mar 12, 2013
158 posts
61 upvotes
Edmonton
i have seen these on marketplace selling for 20-30$ each
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2012
1425 posts
650 upvotes
Kelowna
Can Armbian Linux distributions be installed on any ARM quad core Cortex processor easily? That is, are there install issues that are specific to each Chinese-made Android TV ARM platform box?

If not, then that'd be my recommendation.

If so, then my recommendation would be to use Amazon's free shipping label generator and recycle it to their third-party approved recycler. Declare it as a Fire TV device. If you want Amazon to pick up multiple shipping costs you could ship each as a separate shipment. But one is enough.

The resale value of these things is about $10-15 (or less), possibly just as parts if you can even sell them. The market is flooded and even PrimeCables.ca is selling their own branded Android TV boxes that get better reviews for between $30-90 new.

I have an Android OTT TV box branded as M8S, with a quad core Cortex A9r4 CPU, octo core mali-450 GPU, and Android KitKat 4.4. If anyone can confirm if I can install Armbian Linux on here, I'd do that. Otherwise, I'll probably just recycle it.

Cheers,
Doug
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
1954 posts
1851 upvotes
Vancouver
Install Linux and use as a Home Assistant server.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2012
1425 posts
650 upvotes
Kelowna
Scote64 wrote: Install Linux and use as a Home Assistant server.
@Scote64 Not that easy, though. See my post # 5. Can any Android TV box using ARM CPUs and GPUs receive an Armbian Linux without problems?

Cheers,
Doug
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
1954 posts
1851 upvotes
Vancouver
dmehus wrote: @Scote64 Not that easy, though. See my post # 5. Can any Android TV box using ARM CPUs and GPUs receive an Armbian Linux without problems?
I'm running Armbian Linux and Home Assistant on an old MXQ box with the Amlogic S805 CPU/GPU.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
3654 posts
1044 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I threw them on ebay with the free listing promo and sold them all for $60.

Not bad, better than collecting dust in my basement or going into the garbage.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2012
1425 posts
650 upvotes
Kelowna
Scote64 wrote: I'm running Armbian Linux and Home Assistant on an old MXQ box with the Amlogic S805 CPU/GPU.
ARM is a silly, non-standard architecture. They don't even make their own chips. Stupid company. I hope they fade away soon. ;)

What about my M8S quad core Cortex A9r4 with octo-core Mali-450 GPU? I don't want to try it out unless there's a high likelihood of it working.

Cheers,
Doug
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
1954 posts
1851 upvotes
Vancouver
dmehus wrote: ARM is a silly, non-standard architecture. They don't even make their own chips. Stupid company. I hope they fade away soon. ;)

What about my M8S quad core Cortex A9r4 with octo-core Mali-450 GPU? I don't want to try it out unless there's a high likelihood of it working.
I'm running Linux and Home Assistant entirely from an 8 Gbyte SD card, so I haven't made any change to the box, just set it to boot from SD, and I can simply remove the SD card if I want to restore boot from the previous OS.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2012
1425 posts
650 upvotes
Kelowna
Scote64 wrote: I'm running Linux and Home Assistant entirely from an 8 Gbyte SD card, so I haven't made any change to the box, just set it to boot from SD, and I can simply remove the SD card if I want to restore boot from the previous OS.
@Scote64? Ah, good idea. I think mine only has 1-2 GB of RAM (though can't be certain as the information that comes with these Android boxes is practically non-existent). Do they boot automatically to SD cards, or will I need to hack into the BIOS somehow and change the boot order?

Cheers,
Doug
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
1954 posts
1851 upvotes
Vancouver
dmehus wrote: @Scote64? Ah, good idea. I think mine only has 1-2 GB of RAM (though can't be certain as the information that comes with these Android boxes is practically non-existent). Do they boot automatically to SD cards, or will I need to hack into the BIOS somehow and change the boot order?
On my old MXQ box you just have to do a hardware reset to cause it to boot from the SD card if a bootable card is inserted in the slot. Otherwise on power-on it boots from the last-used boot location. Weirdly the reset button on the MXQ box is inside the analog AV port - you have to reach in there with something like a toothpick to press it. If no SD card is present on power-up, it reverts to the internal memory.