Cell Phones

What to do: New 3yr contract or try to get retention plan with Rogers?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 10th, 2011 6:26 pm
[OP]
Jun 7, 2011
26 posts
4 upvotes
Abbotsford, BC

What to do: New 3yr contract or try to get retention plan with Rogers?

My wife wants to make the move from her 3+ yr old blackberry pearl to an iPhone 4. She's been with Rogers for over 3 yrs and has no commitment left on her contract. I'm trying to figure out whether to take a corporate plan available from Rogers through my work, try to negotiate a "retention" deal on her existing Rogers account, or look for a new Vancouver provider altogether.

Option A: New contract available through work
400 daytime minutes
Unlimited evenings from 6pm
Unlimited weekends
250 free incoming minutes
Voicemail
Call Display
Unlimited text messaging
Conference calling
Call Waiting
Billing by the second
1.5GB of data
Price: $59.40 plus $2.35 govt fee + HST (no activation fee)
Plus iPhone white 32gb for $269 on a new 3 yr contract

Current (corporate) blackberry plan with Rogers
200 daytime minutes
unlimited evenings/weekends (starting at 6pm, I believe)
Voicemail
Unlimited personal email (NO DATA)
No text messaging
Cost: $38/mo plus 911 fee and $6.95 access fee

I called customer service trying to get info on what options would be available if she upgraded to an iPhone. It sounds like even though she's eligible for a hardware upgrade, the cost of buying an iPhone using the upgrade offer is the same as just getting a new plan (both require a 3 yr contract, which is fine with us).

The voice/data plans they were offering (at least on my first call) were not stellar. I wasn't offered any special discounts; sounded like they were just rattling off the publicly available plan rates. Certainly nothing was being offered that compared favourably to the "Option A" plan I can get without any haggling through my work.

I would have thought that the long history on the existing account and the lack of an ongoing commitment would have been worth something. Should I be trying to negotiate a retention plan, or am I better off just opening a new account through work and closing the existing account (losing the hardware upgrade and "long" customer history in the process)?
24 replies
Nov 8, 2010
37 posts
2 upvotes
Right now i have a retention plan and its almost the same as your Corporate plan minus a few addons like unlimited txts, unlimited evenings and weekends. I also got a deal for 4Gb of data for $30. They gave me free 100 LD mins, 10 dollars off of my data plan (regular was 40) and 5 off of unlimited incoming calls (now at $10).

i mean retention plans are awesome! but i think the corporate plans are essentially the same as retention plans if not better. Id suggest going for the Corp plan unless you can call Rogers and get through to retentions to negotiate a corp plan. Tell them what your company is offering and let them know your on a price constraint, and youve been a rogers customer for awhile. I pay about $70/month, and thats alot for a student, im considering calling again. I love calling them to get retention deals. you really have to negotiate hard with them.

Corp plan is good, i wish i had that. Retention is ok i believe for people still in contracts who want lesser rates. IMHO i'd go with that corporate plan. Its a pretty good deal.....unless its linked to your corp plan? so your sharing minutes?

edit** what i would do is get the corp plan, then after a year call in to retention and try to get them to knock your month costs down $10-$15. Thats usually how i deal with my new contracts or plans. :)
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2524 posts
610 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Usually (imo) retentions plans are better as you have more room to "negotiate" for better deals.
At least this has been my experience.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2010
2363 posts
385 upvotes
Thunder Bay
rounderjd wrote: My wife wants to make the move from her 3+ yr old blackberry pearl to an iPhone 4. She's been with Rogers for over 3 yrs and has no commitment left on her contract. I'm trying to figure out whether to take a corporate plan available from Rogers through my work, try to negotiate a "retention" deal on her existing Rogers account, or look for a new Vancouver provider altogether.

Option A: New contract available through work
400 daytime minutes
Unlimited evenings from 6pm
Unlimited weekends
250 free incoming minutes
Voicemail
Call Display
Unlimited text messaging
Conference calling
Call Waiting
Billing by the second
1.5GB of data
Price: $59.40 plus $2.35 govt fee + HST (no activation fee)
Plus iPhone white 32gb for $269 on a new 3 yr contract

Current (corporate) blackberry plan with Rogers
200 daytime minutes
unlimited evenings/weekends (starting at 6pm, I believe)
Voicemail
Unlimited personal email (NO DATA)
No text messaging
Cost: $38/mo plus 911 fee and $6.95 access fee

I called customer service trying to get info on what options would be available if she upgraded to an iPhone. It sounds like even though she's eligible for a hardware upgrade, the cost of buying an iPhone using the upgrade offer is the same as just getting a new plan (both require a 3 yr contract, which is fine with us).

The voice/data plans they were offering (at least on my first call) were not stellar. I wasn't offered any special discounts; sounded like they were just rattling off the publicly available plan rates. Certainly nothing was being offered that compared favourably to the "Option A" plan I can get without any haggling through my work.

I would have thought that the long history on the existing account and the lack of an ongoing commitment would have been worth something. Should I be trying to negotiate a retention plan, or am I better off just opening a new account through work and closing the existing account (losing the hardware upgrade and "long" customer history in the process)?

How long have you been with Rogers for?

And how many minutes do you NEED?

A retention deal that is easy to get is the $17.50 plan

200 daytime mins, early evenings(6pm)/weekends
Add on 6GB Data for $30
Add on 2500 texts, voicemail & CallID for $10
All of those CAN be done through retentions.

You're looking at $57.50 plus Gov't fee and tax. You might be able to get a $5 data discount added to your account, dropping it to $25 for 6GB (same price as 500MB) and a good chance you might be able to get another free feature, maybe free Rogers to Rogers or long distance minutes.

Say you want to HUP as well, get your iphone and sign a 3 year contract.

Mention you are currently weighing your options, as since you live in Vancouver, Mobilicity's $55 unlimited plan looks mighty inviting with an HTC Panache. Odds are they will give you that to get you to stay a Rogers customer. http://mobilicity.ca/plans/
[OP]
Jun 7, 2011
26 posts
4 upvotes
Abbotsford, BC
My "option a" corporate plan does seem pretty smokingly good, and no it's not tied to shared minutes or anything. It's just a special plan offered to my company's employees.

The "corp" plan my wife is currently on is really just whatever the cell phone rep was willing to offer when she first activated her existing contract. He signed us up for a corp plan rate to give us a better deal. I think we may have made some add-ons over the years to get a better deal on data.

I'd really like unlimited incoming calls (my wife normally uses a landline to make outgoing calls, but wants to be able to recieve all calls on her cell). Long distance would be nice but isn't a dealbreaker because we have unlimited long distance on our land line. Key for me is getting a nice pocket of daytime minutes, unlimited texting, and a generous data plan (more than 1GB for sure).
blackviper wrote: Right now i have a retention plan and its almost the same as your Corporate plan minus a few addons like unlimited txts, unlimited evenings and weekends. I also got a deal for 4Gb of data for $30. They gave me free 100 LD mins, 10 dollars off of my data plan (regular was 40) and 5 off of unlimited incoming calls (now at $10).

i mean retention plans are awesome! but i think the corporate plans are essentially the same as retention plans if not better. Id suggest going for the Corp plan unless you can call Rogers and get through to retentions to negotiate a corp plan. Tell them what your company is offering and let them know your on a price constraint, and youve been a rogers customer for awhile. I pay about $70/month, and thats alot for a student, im considering calling again. I love calling them to get retention deals. you really have to negotiate hard with them.

Corp plan is good, i wish i had that. Retention is ok i believe for people still in contracts who want lesser rates. IMHO i'd go with that corporate plan. Its a pretty good deal.....unless its linked to your corp plan? so your sharing minutes?

edit** what i would do is get the corp plan, then after a year call in to retention and try to get them to knock your month costs down $10-$15. Thats usually how i deal with my new contracts or plans. :)
[OP]
Jun 7, 2011
26 posts
4 upvotes
Abbotsford, BC
Thanks for the tip about mentioning the Mobilicity option. I hadn't really looked at non-iPhone data plans but can see how that would be worth leveraging.

We don't really need more than about 300 minutes. If we had unlimited incoming calls (not just the first minute), we wouldn't need very many minutes at all because almost all calls are incoming (with outgoing calls made on a landline).

Been with Rogers for almost 4 years now I think on this account.

Thanks for the details on the $17.50 plan -- will try to work with that as a template, especially with the 6GB add on option (which I didn't know about).
amace wrote: How long have you been with Rogers for?

And how many minutes do you NEED?

A retention deal that is easy to get is the $17.50 plan

200 daytime mins, early evenings(6pm)/weekends
Add on 6GB Data for $30
Add on 2500 texts, voicemail & CallID for $10
All of those CAN be done through retentions.

You're looking at $57.50 plus Gov't fee and tax. You might be able to get a $5 data discount added to your account, dropping it to $25 for 6GB (same price as 500MB) and a good chance you might be able to get another free feature, maybe free Rogers to Rogers or long distance minutes.

Say you want to HUP as well, get your iphone and sign a 3 year contract.

Mention you are currently weighing your options, as since you live in Vancouver, Mobilicity's $55 unlimited plan looks mighty inviting with an HTC Panache. Odds are they will give you that to get you to stay a Rogers customer. http://mobilicity.ca/plans/
Nov 8, 2010
37 posts
2 upvotes
No worries, be very wary though the 6Gb plan that was posted above isnt out till August/September again as a back to school promo. But i believe if you go through retentions you *may* be able to get it or they might give you my plan...4gb? i dont know. I tried for the 6 gb and i didnt get it haha. And if its daytime minutes your worried about, i suggest just get the unlimited incoming calls (it costs about $15) but wager and negotiate with them to get it for $10. And Retention plans can usually waive away the govt fee and add ona few perks (LD, caller id, voicemail) for free or for a minimal charge. Play around with Rogers and see what happens. Negotiations are awesome. I have seen some really wicked deals pulled off through it, but never been able to pull them off myself haha
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2010
2363 posts
385 upvotes
Thunder Bay
blackviper wrote: No worries, be very wary though the 6Gb plan that was posted above isnt out till August/September again as a back to school promo. But i believe if you go through retentions you *may* be able to get it or they might give you my plan...4gb? i dont know. I tried for the 6 gb and i didnt get it haha. And if its daytime minutes your worried about, i suggest just get the unlimited incoming calls (it costs about $15) but wager and negotiate with them to get it for $10. And Retention plans can usually waive away the govt fee and add ona few perks (LD, caller id, voicemail) for free or for a minimal charge. Play around with Rogers and see what happens. Negotiations are awesome. I have seen some really wicked deals pulled off through it, but never been able to pull them off myself haha

I've heard of people getting the 6GB plan through retentions, but BV brought up a good point, near the end of the summer they'll probably bring all the back to school deals back, last year 6GB for $30 was one of them. It might be easier to keep your current plan for a few months, then try and get the 6GB add-on, the $17.50 plan and the $10 retentions value pack (2500 texts, callID voicemail), and since then the 6GB/$30 will be a standard add-on, you might ahve more wiggle room for data credits or free features.

Unlimited Rogers to Rogers is a good one if you can get it, assuming you do a fair amount of calling to cell phones. If you're calling mostly landlines, it won't help as much.
[OP]
Jun 7, 2011
26 posts
4 upvotes
Abbotsford, BC
Another call back to what I assume was the "Retentions" group, and I had a lot more luck "negotiating" (their word) some non-standard features and discounts. Here's what is currently on the table if I upgrade using the existing account:

300 daytime minutes (200 + 100 bonus minutes added for free)
Unlimited eves/wkds starting at 6pm
1GB of data, but with unlimited data for 2 months (will be closer to when the 6GB option supposedly becomes standard)
My10 Canada Wide
Unlimited text msging
Unlimited social networking
*Unlimited incoming calls* (a particular bonus for us) for $5 a month ($10 with a $5 discount)
The $10 value pack (voicemail, standard caller id)
Cost: $62.35

When I asked about long distance calling options, I was offered 1000 LD minutes for $10 or unlimited long distance for $20. It would be nice if I could get some long distance minutes thrown in, but with the My10 Canada wide, it's not really necessary.

I was specifically told that they could not add the 6GB data option by itself; I would have to get the unlimited voice and 6GB option for $100 if I wanted 6GB of data.

It would be *really* nice if I could get enhanced caller ID so the caller's name shows up in addition to phone numbers, but I'm not sure if they'll budge on discoutning the $15 value pack that includes that option.

I'm at the point where I think the retention deal may end up being better than my own corporate option "A", even with 100 fewer minutes and 500mb less of data (after the 2 months' unlimited runs out).
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2010
2363 posts
385 upvotes
Thunder Bay
rounderjd wrote: Another call back to what I assume was the "Retentions" group, and I had a lot more luck "negotiating" (their word) some non-standard features and discounts. Here's what is currently on the table if I upgrade using the existing account:

300 daytime minutes (200 + 100 bonus minutes added for free)
Unlimited eves/wkds starting at 6pm
1GB of data, but with unlimited data for 2 months (will be closer to when the 6GB option supposedly becomes standard)
My10 Canada Wide
Unlimited text msging
Unlimited social networking
*Unlimited incoming calls* (a particular bonus for us) for $5 a month ($10 with a $5 discount)
The $10 value pack (voicemail, standard caller id)
Cost: $62.35

When I asked about long distance calling options, I was offered 1000 LD minutes for $10 or unlimited long distance for $20. It would be nice if I could get some long distance minutes thrown in, but with the My10 Canada wide, it's not really necessary.

I was specifically told that they could not add the 6GB data option by itself; I would have to get the unlimited voice and 6GB option for $100 if I wanted 6GB of data.

It would be *really* nice if I could get enhanced caller ID so the caller's name shows up in addition to phone numbers, but I'm not sure if they'll budge on discoutning the $15 value pack that includes that option.

I'm at the point where I think the retention deal may end up being better than my own corporate option "A", even with 100 fewer minutes and 500mb less of data (after the 2 months' unlimited runs out).

I don't think you were talking to retentions. Their actual name now is "customer relations".

the $17.50 plan is available to any customer that's been there longer than I think 2 years. Just mention your friend, or co-worker or something told you about it as they have it.

What I normally do, call Rogers, say that you were just being transferred to customer relations, but something happened and you lost the call. They'll transfer you.

From there, explain your situation, say you're out of contract, looking to upgrade to a new smartphone (do NOT say you only want an iphone, so you can leave other options open as leverage).

Your friend told you about a $17.50 plan for 200 mins and early evenings available to long-standing customers, and you were thinking of upgrading to that if you could work out a better deal. I might mention that you have looked into Mobilicity's $35 + $10 unlimited voice+data plan, and is a fantastic value with the HTC Panache or Nexus S, but you would like to stay with Rogers if you can get a comparable plan.

Now's the time to ask if they can do the 6GB/$30 add-on, as you really don't want to have to wait until September to get this through a Customer Service Rep. Then ask about the 2500 text value plan, it is $10, which includes voicemail and call ID, also only available to long-standing customers.

If things are going well at this point, you might want to see if you can get some LD minutes, they can offer you either 100 or 1000 minutes. 100 for free shoudl be easy to get, they might be heasitant to give you 1000 free minutes.

If you're reallygood, you can get a $5 data credit applied as well, which will cover the cost of the iphone.

Some numbers to refer to to help make your point.

$17.50 plan with $30/6GB and $10/value pack = $57.50/month * 36 months = $2070 + $159 iphone 4 16GB HUP = $2229 + tax spent over 3 years
Moblicity $45 unlimited plan *36 months = 1620 + $499 HTC Panache/Nexus S = $2119 + tax over the same 3 years.

The two are comparable, and they should help you out. I'd just remain polite, don't threaten to cancel everything, but point out that there other options, and you are looking to get the best deal you can.

After 4 years there, they should be able to help you out. If you can't get what you want, thank them for their time and hang up and try again some other time.

If they DO offer you something, and you're not sure, ask them to make a note of it all on your account so you can call back and get the same offer again. Some agents are more willing to help you than others.
Sep 19, 2006
7 posts
250 anytime minutes
Free evening/weekend after 6pm
Free incoming, Rogers to Rogers network free
100 min Long distance free
2500 sent unlimited incoming text
VM, caller id, etc
6 gb data

Retention plans are better then corporate.
This plan $51.00 including Hst
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
562 upvotes
250 daytime
Rogers 2 Rogers
unltd weekend/weeknight
2500txt/CID/VM
6gb

$20 + $10 + $30 - $10 credit = $50 + tax..i also get a 15% bundle discount so its more like $50.xx inc tax a month
[OP]
Jun 7, 2011
26 posts
4 upvotes
Abbotsford, BC
So after many calls and hours on the phone, having been transferred between customer service to customer relations to business customer relations and back (including one transfer to Fido because someone at Rogers thought I would get a better deal through them!) I have finally picked a retention plan!

4000 minutes
Unlimited data
Unlimited incoming calls anywhere in Canada
Unlimited in-network calling
Unlimited text messaging
Unlimited Canadian long distance
Call display
Voicemail
Call forwarding, call conferencing
$90/mo -- comes to $103.43 with taxes in BC

When one of the reps first pitched this plan to me a couple of days ago, I balked at the price. Since then, I was offered the "new" small business plans of $85 of $95 a month that came with 3100 weekday minutes and 6GB of data, unlimited long distance, etc. When it became clear that I wasn't going to be able to get more than 1.5GB of data without spending considerably more per month (and no guarantee that I'd even be able to add on data later because the data was being "bundled" into the voice+data plans they were offering), I decided to just bite the bullet and take the $90/mo offer with unlimited data. It will be nice to not have to worry about data ever again :-)

Thanks everyone for the tips!
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
2528 posts
91 upvotes
Are you stull within the refund window? You should check out mobilicity.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2010
2363 posts
385 upvotes
Thunder Bay
rounderjd wrote: So after many calls and hours on the phone, having been transferred between customer service to customer relations to business customer relations and back (including one transfer to Fido because someone at Rogers thought I would get a better deal through them!) I have finally picked a retention plan!

4000 minutes
Unlimited data
Unlimited incoming calls anywhere in Canada
Unlimited in-network calling
Unlimited text messaging
Unlimited Canadian long distance
Call display
Voicemail
Call forwarding, call conferencing
$90/mo -- comes to $103.43 with taxes in BC

When one of the reps first pitched this plan to me a couple of days ago, I balked at the price. Since then, I was offered the "new" small business plans of $85 of $95 a month that came with 3100 weekday minutes and 6GB of data, unlimited long distance, etc. When it became clear that I wasn't going to be able to get more than 1.5GB of data without spending considerably more per month (and no guarantee that I'd even be able to add on data later because the data was being "bundled" into the voice+data plans they were offering), I decided to just bite the bullet and take the $90/mo offer with unlimited data. It will be nice to not have to worry about data ever again :-)

Thanks everyone for the tips!

Holy crap :o

You better use the hell out of that data.