Cell Phones

What to do: New 3yr contract or try to get retention plan with Rogers?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 10th, 2011 6:26 pm
[OP]
Jun 7, 2011
26 posts
4 upvotes
Abbotsford, BC
mariokarter wrote: Are you stull within the refund window? You should check out mobilicity.

Yeah, the Mobilicity plans are *great* and someone referred me to them for comparison purposes. Although I didn't tell Rogers this when I flagged the Mobilicity option, we really do want to go with the iPhone and Mobilicity doesn't support iPhones.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2010
2363 posts
385 upvotes
Thunder Bay
rounderjd wrote: Yeah, the Mobilicity plans are *great* and someone referred me to them for comparison purposes. Although I didn't tell Rogers this when I flagged the Mobilicity option, we really do want to go with the iPhone and Mobilicity doesn't support iPhones.

I'm afraid to say I think you could have done much better.

Unless you really NEED those minutes, I bet that alone added $30+ to your bill.

However, I didn't know Rogers had an unlimited data option.

When you get a breakdown of your bill, how much are they charging you for unlimited data?
[OP]
Jun 7, 2011
26 posts
4 upvotes
Abbotsford, BC
amace wrote: I'm afraid to say I think you could have done much better.

Unless you really NEED those minutes, I bet that alone added $30+ to your bill.

However, I didn't know Rogers had an unlimited data option.

When you get a breakdown of your bill, how much are they charging you for unlimited data?

I haven't activated the plan just yet, so nothing is set in stone.

No, definitely don't need all those minutes (although without unlimited evenings/weekends, who knows), so I justified it based on the data. We're paying an extra $20 a month on our landline for unlimited long distance, so if we're able to use the cell phone for long distance it becomes an easier pill to swallow.

Will be interesting to see the breakdown on the bill once the first one arrives. My hope is that, in a few months, I can call Customer Relations again and negotiate something cheaper without giving up too much data.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
2528 posts
91 upvotes
rounderjd wrote: Yeah, the Mobilicity plans are *great* and someone referred me to them for comparison purposes. Although I didn't tell Rogers this when I flagged the Mobilicity option, we really do want to go with the iPhone and Mobilicity doesn't support iPhones.

Well (regardless of which carrier you choose) you might want to wait till September for the iPhone 5 or your gonna feel like such a suck. Youve waited a full year whats another few months?
[OP]
Jun 7, 2011
26 posts
4 upvotes
Abbotsford, BC
mariokarter wrote: Well (regardless of which carrier you choose) you might want to wait till September for the iPhone 5 or your gonna feel like such a suck. Youve waited a full year whats another few months?
You raise an excellent point. I don't think it fairly be said that we "waited" for the iPhone 4. There will always be another better model coming down the pipe if we wait a few more months or so. Like when I bought an iPad in January only to have it be replaced by the iPad2 shortly thereafter.

My wife will be out of town for most of August and will be heavily dependent on her cell and data plan while she's away. The timing is unfortunate but makes it much harder to justify waiting until September, especially since the rumoured improvements in the iPhone 5 don't seem too mindblowing. It may well be that the voice+data plans offered in September are significantly better than I can get now, but I figure that's what the Retentions department is for :-)

If the iPhone 5 turns out to be a real must-have, I guess we can try selling the iPhone 4 and buy an iPhone 5 outright? But I doubt it. After all, she's been content with her blackberry pearl for almost 4 years!
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2010
2363 posts
385 upvotes
Thunder Bay
mariokarter wrote: Well (regardless of which carrier you choose) you might want to wait till September for the iPhone 5 or your gonna feel like such a suck. Youve waited a full year whats another few months?

ip5 isn't coming out in September
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
2528 posts
91 upvotes
rounderjd wrote: You raise an excellent point. I don't think it fairly be said that we "waited" for the iPhone 4. There will always be another better model coming down the pipe if we wait a few more months or so. Like when I bought an iPad in January only to have it be replaced by the iPad2 shortly thereafter.

My wife will be out of town for most of August and will be heavily dependent on her cell and data plan while she's away. The timing is unfortunate but makes it much harder to justify waiting until September, especially since the rumoured improvements in the iPhone 5 don't seem too mindblowing. It may well be that the voice+data plans offered in September are significantly better than I can get now, but I figure that's what the Retentions department is for :-)

If the iPhone 5 turns out to be a real must-have, I guess we can try selling the iPhone 4 and buy an iPhone 5 outright? But I doubt it. After all, she's been content with her blackberry pearl for almost 4 years!

As you correctly say, youve got to get a phone at some point as there will always eb something better coming out.
amace wrote: ip5 isn't coming out in September

September, October, November, somethime for the holiday season, nobody really knows for sure, just not for the summer time as it wasn't announced at WWDC.
Sep 9, 2011
2 posts
VANCOUVER
rounderjd wrote: So after many calls and hours on the phone, having been transferred between customer service to customer relations to business customer relations and back (including one transfer to Fido because someone at Rogers thought I would get a better deal through them!) I have finally picked a retention plan!

4000 minutes
Unlimited data
Unlimited incoming calls anywhere in Canada
Unlimited in-network calling
Unlimited text messaging
Unlimited Canadian long distance
Call display
Voicemail
Call forwarding, call conferencing
$90/mo -- comes to $103.43 with taxes in BC

When one of the reps first pitched this plan to me a couple of days ago, I balked at the price. Since then, I was offered the "new" small business plans of $85 of $95 a month that came with 3100 weekday minutes and 6GB of data, unlimited long distance, etc. When it became clear that I wasn't going to be able to get more than 1.5GB of data without spending considerably more per month (and no guarantee that I'd even be able to add on data later because the data was being "bundled" into the voice+data plans they were offering), I decided to just bite the bullet and take the $90/mo offer with unlimited data. It will be nice to not have to worry about data ever again :-)

Thanks everyone for the tips!
Price change for the same plan. My quote, end of August 2011, is up $15 to $105 before taxes in BC.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2007
9574 posts
790 upvotes
Mississauga
amace wrote: ip5 isn't coming out in September

+1 October kiddies
RFD 41-0-0
Ebay 31-0-0
|Dance.Flirt.Music.Chill|
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
2528 posts
91 upvotes
rounderjd wrote: So after many calls and hours on the phone, having been transferred between customer service to customer relations to business customer relations and back (including one transfer to Fido because someone at Rogers thought I would get a better deal through them!) I have finally picked a retention plan!

4000 minutes
Unlimited data
Unlimited incoming calls anywhere in Canada
Unlimited in-network calling
Unlimited text messaging
Unlimited Canadian long distance
Call display
Voicemail
Call forwarding, call conferencing
$90/mo -- comes to $103.43 with taxes in BC

When one of the reps first pitched this plan to me a couple of days ago, I balked at the price. Since then, I was offered the "new" small business plans of $85 of $95 a month that came with 3100 weekday minutes and 6GB of data, unlimited long distance, etc. When it became clear that I wasn't going to be able to get more than 1.5GB of data without spending considerably more per month (and no guarantee that I'd even be able to add on data later because the data was being "bundled" into the voice+data plans they were offering), I decided to just bite the bullet and take the $90/mo offer with unlimited data. It will be nice to not have to worry about data ever again :-)

Thanks everyone for the tips!

I know this thread has been bumped but :-0