Automotive

What to do with old but great condition car?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 2nd, 2020 10:26 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
5228 posts
1923 upvotes
Debtario

What to do with old but great condition car?

Is there any chance I'd be able to get any meaningful amount for an old car ? The logical thing would be to sell it, but is this worth anything?

My mom has a late 80s Oldsmobile sitting in the garage at the moment, very low mileage (less than 150k), very well maintained and body in fairly mint shape with the exception of some stone chips. It runs great, just not in use for the last year and insurance is getting to be too much, even theft and fire is too much - around $500. Actually had tons of problems at 80k but after that has run perfect to this day.

It's too nice to scrap and feels like a giveaway to sell it for I suppose would be a very low amount. I cant even find the book value of this car, should I bother with an appraiser?
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
27 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
13963 posts
8371 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah, highly unlikely. Is it a 85-87 cutlass supreme by chance? Then you might have some luck. But if we are discussing something like a run of the mill cutlass, I'm afraid your meaningful amount will be very low. Like a few hundred. Take some pics and post in the BST. You might have a better chance or doing some type of trade than a sale.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
5228 posts
1923 upvotes
Debtario
It's an 89 cutlass supreme SL with the FE3 suspension package, digital dash and electronic climate control, it was fancy for its day.

Other than that, just a 2.8 v6 if I'm correct. I don't drive it because it handles like a boat, my mom hangs onto it for sentimental reasons and limited driving during the summer.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1664 posts
894 upvotes
Durham
I see Supremes around so there may be a market for it, albiet small. See whats out there, or just throw it on Kijiji over priced and see what you get back in terms of responses
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
4559 posts
1920 upvotes
Ottawa
If it's in immaculate condition, I would advertise it on Ebay. Might not be the time to sell given that the US border is closed. A coupe with an FE3 suspension might attract an audience posted on the right platform. Kijiji can't hurt but I doubt that you'd attract top dollar.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
10833 posts
5898 upvotes
Markham
Cutlass Supreme's are great. The old "Oldsmobile" banner was considered premium. Since you got low mileage, you can probably find a seller. Try and sell it rather than scrapping it for donation money.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldsmobil ... ss_Supreme
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
2398 posts
2265 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Can just hang onto it until a family member or close family friend needs a car and then give it to them. At least what's what my parents do with their old cars. If they don't have space then they try to sell it, if no takers on selling then they scrap it.
Dec 25, 2006
469 posts
320 upvotes
Winnipeg
gr8dlr wrote: Cutlass Supreme's are great
Have you ever driven one of OP's age? HORRIBLE - as the OP says he doesn't drive it because it "handles like a boat".
The earlier (rear wheel drive) ones were decent but they were dumped in '87 for the GM "W" body design. From what I remember the suspensions were weak (there's a transverse fibreglass leaf) in the rear that loved to self destruct as well as many other problems....the '89 is first generation of that design and there were plenty of problems GM had to deal with.
People will believe what they want to believe whether fact or fiction.
'tis most frustrating when they aren't open to see and/or learn which is which.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
10833 posts
5898 upvotes
Markham
warpdwhim wrote: Have you ever driven one of OP's age? HORRIBLE - as the OP says he doesn't drive it because it "handles like a boat".
The earlier (rear wheel drive) ones were decent but they were dumped in '87 for the GM "W" body design. From what I remember the suspensions were weak (there's a transverse fibreglass leaf) in the rear that loved to self destruct as well as many other problems....the '89 is first generation of that design and there were plenty of problems GM had to deal with.
A friend had the earlier generation one's you're talking about. I can't speak directly about a '89 but for someone who might be interested ins something more "vintage" like it might be worth a couple of hundred $. Spme ppl (older generation moreso) love the "boat" feel. They like cushy rides.

"very low mileage (less than 150k), very well maintained and body in fairly mint shape with the exception of some stone chips. It runs great,"

Worst case for a buyer is drive it for a year or even two for next to nothing. Buyer can't lose money because you can always donate it for what you paid. Not sure about cost for "safety".
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1664 posts
894 upvotes
Durham
warpdwhim wrote: Have you ever driven one of OP's age? HORRIBLE - as the OP says he doesn't drive it because it "handles like a boat".
Oh completely forgot about that style. Right away my comment was assuming the old, long bonnet gen.
Oct 3, 2017
642 posts
474 upvotes
No modern safety equipment like all the air bags everywhere plus much more.

I'd try to sell it or bite the bullet and scrap it.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13375 posts
8344 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Sell it for $150,000 like that Hyundai.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
5427 posts
1836 upvotes
GTEH!
M1K3Z0R wrote: Is there any chance I'd be able to get any meaningful amount for an old car ? The logical thing would be to sell it, but is this worth anything?

My mom has a late 80s Oldsmobile sitting in the garage at the moment, very low mileage (less than 150k), very well maintained and body in fairly mint shape with the exception of some stone chips. It runs great, just not in use for the last year and insurance is getting to be too much, even theft and fire is too much - around $500. Actually had tons of problems at 80k but after that has run perfect to this day.

It's too nice to scrap and feels like a giveaway to sell it for I suppose would be a very low amount. I cant even find the book value of this car, should I bother with an appraiser?
Have you tried VMRCanada to see if the car is maybe listed and maybe show estimate re-sale value.
😎
Oct 24, 2018
365 posts
350 upvotes
M1K3Z0R wrote: Is there any chance I'd be able to get any meaningful amount for an old car ? The logical thing would be to sell it, but is this worth anything?

Unfortunately an appraiser might cost more than the car is worth. They would also probably leave you feeling insulted with their terminology about condition as the car world is much more particular than if you were selling a cell phone on eBay. If you say the word "mint" anywhere it had better be just that, unlike the 99% of "mint condition" cell phones on eBay with scratches all over them.

Also, if the car has seen any Ontario winters there might be some surprises hiding under the car after 30+ years.

However, things like the glass and lights on the car could be valuable to some people but I have a feeling parting it out might not be on the cards either if there is any sentimental attachment to it.

If it is in very good condition and won't decay, the other option is to try storing it and see if the value creeps up in 10-20 years. Some cars that have no business being collectable have become exactly that as people with disposable income try to revive the cars of their youth. If you don't have a place to safely store it yourself the extra cost of a storage facility should be factored in though as they often demand insurance coverage of vehicles they store.

Let us know how you make out either keeping or selling.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)