• Dec 3rd, 2020 3:47 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Apr 29, 2015
177 posts
77 upvotes
Calgary, AB

What to do with old cellphones?

I have a couple of old flip phones I don't use anymore. Can I recycle them? Donate them? Freecycle them?

Should I leave the SIM card in, or remove it?
8 replies
Aug 30, 2012
130 posts
47 upvotes
Donate your older phones to others such as women's shelter or more formally https://phoneitforward.ca/
Or sell online on Kijiji or Facebook market as individuals who cant afford new may use or if from other countries may wish to purchase cheaper working phones that would still work in their home country.
If you have a balance on your account which you won’t get back from your provider and you are switching providers because you found a better deal you can give to charity https://www.mobilegiving.ca/en/current- ... n-options/ (leave a small balance if porting your number)
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2358 posts
956 upvotes
Toronto
I saw on the news years ago that women's shelters take them to hand them out so that the users can call 911 if needed. No idea the shelters would want the sim cards too.

You could also recycle them if they are useless now. I think Staples still has electronic recycling in their stores.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7957 posts
4578 upvotes
Alberta
Luzer123 wrote: I have a couple of old flip phones I don't use anymore. Can I recycle them? Donate them? Freecycle them?

Should I leave the SIM card in, or remove it?
I used to trade mine in at WOW mobile for a Koodo phone and then cancel the tab.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6163 posts
3227 upvotes
Mississauga
ds2chan wrote: I saw on the news years ago that women's shelters take them to hand them out so that the users can call 911 if needed. No idea the shelters would want the sim cards too.
Mobile phones don't need to be activated to call 911. That was one of the requirements mandated by government years ago.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2358 posts
956 upvotes
Toronto
mrweather wrote: Mobile phones don't need to be activated to call 911. That was one of the requirements mandated by government years ago.
Thanks. I knew. I wasn't clear but I meant I wasn't sure if the shelters wanted spare sim cards to hand out for some reason.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
[OP]
Apr 29, 2015
177 posts
77 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Do I leave the SIM card in, or remove it?
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
1412 posts
993 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Luzer123 wrote: Do I leave the SIM card in, or remove it?
The SIM card is worthless unless it was never activated or you're generous enough to give a phone with a SIM card which is linked to an active account that you are still paying for the services so generally when giving/donating/trashing/recycling/selling/exchanging a cellphone, you shouldn't be including a SIM card as it is worthless to the person getting it (i.e. they can't use that SIM card if it was already activated as some point to activate on a new account).
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
4710 posts
1388 upvotes
0 downvotes
donate them to third world countries. i donated a bunch of my old cell phones to a place that refurbishes and send them to south america
Hi