• Jun 11th, 2021 8:19 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
2529 posts
1464 upvotes
SW ON

What to do with older Rogers TV boxes?

I have a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD and a Cisco Explorer 4642HD Rogers boxes lying around. I wonder if they can be used anywhere in Canada or the US. Is it worth selling them or donating or they belong to E-waste now?
27 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19598 posts
5677 upvotes
Toronto
They can be used on Rogers. They can be sold on Kijiji to existing digital cable customers, as long as you have de-linked them from your Rogers account (if you have one).

Also, if you switch to Rogers Ignite TV, you can claim a rebate from Rogers if you bring them into a store. It's $50 for a PVR and $25 for non-PVR box. Note that the old pre-Nextbox devices don't technically qualify for the rebate, but sometimes the store will take them anyway and give you a receipt for the rebate. (The receipt does not include dollar values, but does record the serial numbers.)

The rebate is applied months later. I think the rebate is done automatically only for devices that have been used on their network recently. If they're older devices that were just in storage, you may need to contact customer service to get the rebate applied. But again, you can only get this rebate if you switch to Ignite TV, since it is provided as a credit on your Rogers TV account.

If the store absolutely refuses to take the devices for the rebate, then it will still take them for recycling if you want to do that. Your Cisco Explorer 4642HD qualifies for the rebate. The Scientific Atlanta 8300HD technically does not, but YMMV on these older pre-Nextbox devices.

EDIT:

Here are the rules for the rebate:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/A ... rue#M23922

- The Ignite TV installation must be completed before you can trade-in an eligible box. After the installation, an Ignite TV Concierge agent will contact you to review your order and discuss your options.
- You will be issued an electronic UPS waybill by email to print and use in the return of your box. One waybill per box/package. **Technicians cannot return the boxes on behalf of the customer**
- Only boxes that are listed in your account history within the last 6 months are eligible for the trade-in credit.
- After the equipment has been processed in our database, it can take up to 2 billing cycles for the credits to be applied to the new Ignite TV account.

Note that the 6 months criterion is flexible. As mentioned, the rebate should be applied automatically if on the network in that time period. However, even if it's a device that wasn't used recently, you should be able to get the amount applied if you contact customer service.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
17327 posts
3773 upvotes
Toronto
Had a few Bell FibeTV and Rogers 8642 PVRs. I switched to streaming and gave the boxes away. I could have re-purposed the internal hard drives but, being 1 TB and 500 GB, I decided against it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
2529 posts
1464 upvotes
SW ON
EugW wrote: They can be used on Rogers...
Thank you for your detailed response. I am surprised that Rogers still runs that infrastructure. We disconnected the boxes 6-7 years ago and went Internet only. We have no interest in getting any kind of TV from Rogers, so rebates won't be useful. In fact, I don't know a single person who kept some kind of TV services from Rogers and I thought Rogers went purely IPTV.

There is one person who seems to be struggling to sell similar boxes here on BST: https://forums.redflagdeals.com/rogers-nextbox-3-0-pvr-hd-explorer-50-20-60-both-2467981/

I don't think I will be able to sell them but at least now I know they can be useful to someone. I will see if I can find that "someone". Thanks!
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19598 posts
5677 upvotes
Toronto
alpovs wrote: Thank you for your detailed response. I am surprised that Rogers still runs that infrastructure. We disconnected the boxes 6-7 years ago and went Internet only. We have no interest in getting any kind of TV from Rogers, so rebates won't be useful. In fact, I don't know a single person who kept some kind of TV services from Rogers and I thought Rogers went purely IPTV.

There is one person who seems to be struggling to sell similar boxes here on BST: https://forums.redflagdeals.com/rogers-nextbox-3-0-pvr-hd-explorer-50-20-60-both-2467981/

I don't think I will be able to sell them but at least now I know they can be useful to someone. I will see if I can find that "someone". Thanks!
Rogers is not pure IPTV. Existing customers on digital cable can stay on digital cable. However, Rogers is actively pushing people away from digital cable to IPTV, by offering discounts for existing customers to switch to IPTV that they aren’t offering if they remain on digital cable.

This appears to be a reversal of policy from a few years ago. Back then, Rogers’ IPTV consistently cost more, because those discounts were more widely available on digital cable than IPTV for existing customers, which made little sense to me since their IPTV was new back then and apparently had many more bugs than they do now.

I still have TV because of the wife and kids. They like some shows that are much harder to find on streaming services.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
3752 posts
929 upvotes
GTA
OP, put them on Kijiji. I'm still using older boxes in my home. They're slow, but free and I don't watch a lot of cable these days so they suit me just fine.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3989 posts
4189 upvotes
GTA
I tried giving away my 8300HD a few years back, no takers. I took the HDD out as it is an IDE drive, they are getting rare and are useful for some older computer hardware. The box I will send to ewaste eventually.
I suggest you keep the remote, they are universal and will work for many TV's. You never know.
c'mon get happy!
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
4965 posts
1497 upvotes
0 downvotes
There are lots of people who are in need of boxes you can give / donate them to, the problem is finding the people who need them is not an easy task to do.

I had an old rogers box, and didnt need it, thought about giving it to electronic recycling centre and then gave it to my brother in law and he was able to activate it on his TV just fine. saved it from going in the landfill, that makes mother earth more happy.
Hi
Mar 14, 2017
178 posts
77 upvotes
About a month ago I took two old SA boxes to Rogers store in First Markham Place. They have two cardboard boxes out front for people returning old equipment, so I just dumped them in the cardboard box.

I haven't been using Rogers for almost 6 years; they are just sitting around gathering dust.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
2529 posts
1464 upvotes
SW ON
XeniaOnatopp wrote: About a month ago I took two old SA boxes to Rogers store in First Markham Place. They have two cardboard boxes out front for people returning old equipment, so I just dumped them in the cardboard box.

I haven't been using Rogers for almost 6 years; they are just sitting around gathering dust.
What are those boxes outside? Are they for recycling old equipment or for rented equipment returns? I wouldn't return anything to Rogers without a receipt. Even with receipt later they will claim you didn't return anything and then the receipt will be handy.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
4965 posts
1497 upvotes
0 downvotes
obviously you will NOT get a receipt for returning equiptment that you "own", For rental equiptment, it obviously goes back to the store and id return it to an actual agent and get a confirmation receipt to be safe. THey hve known to make mistakes and charge you so having the receipt will back you up and get those mistaken charges waived.
Hi
Mar 14, 2017
178 posts
77 upvotes
alpovs wrote: What are those boxes outside? Are they for recycling old equipment or for rented equipment returns? I wouldn't return anything to Rogers without a receipt. Even with receipt later they will claim you didn't return anything and then the receipt will be handy.
They were purchased units, not rentals. Those units have no contractual obligations to Rogers and I could throw them to the dump site if I want to.

The staff asked me specifically have those equipment be delisted and I told her that I have not had Rogers for 6 years, and she let me put it there.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
2529 posts
1464 upvotes
SW ON
XeniaOnatopp wrote: They were purchased units, not rentals. Those units have no contractual obligations to Rogers and I could throw them to the dump site if I want to.

The staff asked me specifically have those equipment be delisted and I told her that I have not had Rogers for 6 years, and she let me put it there.
I understood that. I asked what those boxes were for. They didn't put them out just for you, I guess. I doubt there are many people who dispose of of their boxes at Rogers stores. So, those boxes outside were for some other purpose. Do you know what they were for? Return of rented equipment?
Mar 14, 2017
178 posts
77 upvotes
alpovs wrote: I understood that. I asked what those boxes were for. They didn't put them out just for you, I guess. I doubt there are many people who dispose of of their boxes at Rogers stores. So, those boxes outside were for some other purpose. Do you know what they were for? Return of rented equipment?
Staff at the Rogers Store can answer what the exact purposes are. I won't work at the store; I only want to recycle the equipment responsibly. The staff at the store asked me and I told her about the nature of the equipment and let me put it there.

If it's that much of an issue I'll just put them in the garbage next time.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19598 posts
5677 upvotes
Toronto
alpovs wrote: I understood that. I asked what those boxes were for. They didn't put them out just for you, I guess. I doubt there are many people who dispose of of their boxes at Rogers stores. So, those boxes outside were for some other purpose. Do you know what they were for? Return of rented equipment?
The store I went to had the boxes inside the store, not outside. Basically just cardboard boxes of old stuff including TV boxes, remotes, cables, etc. And yes there was quite a bit of stuff in them.

They appeared to be for anything that didn't qualify for the rebate, including old PVRs and receivers that didn't qualify and I believe old rental boxes too once their returns were documented, plus accessories. They originally told me I could recycle my old SA 8300HD PVRs and my old SA 4250HD box there, but I politely asked again if they might accept them for the rebate since I was switching to Ignite TV, and they agreed (and issued me a receipt).

BTW, it was just out in the open in the main part of the store next to the desk, not hidden. Definitely didn't look very professional.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
4965 posts
1497 upvotes
0 downvotes
just so you know its more eco friendly to "recycle" your old electronics rather than to "throw" it in the trash/dump. throwing it in the trrash can be hazardous, but recycling it means none of the hazardous materials will end up in the landfill. Do your part, DO THE RIGHT FING, dont hurt mother earth with useless junk, recycle it
Hi
Mar 14, 2017
178 posts
77 upvotes
GoodFellaz wrote: just so you know its more eco friendly to "recycle" your old electronics rather than to "throw" it in the trash/dump. throwing it in the trrash can be hazardous, but recycling it means none of the hazardous materials will end up in the landfill. Do your part, DO THE RIGHT FING, dont hurt mother earth with useless junk, recycle it
Well, next time get Mr. Alpovs for his approval prior to returning unused Rogers boxes to Rogers then; maybe get a notary public to certify the approval too. :twisted:
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
4965 posts
1497 upvotes
0 downvotes
ahh you meant alpovs, the original poster, thought you were talking about some big shot at rogers cable loil
Hi