• Last Updated:
  • Oct 7th, 2021 7:19 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6498 posts
4287 upvotes
SW ON
EugW wrote: The store I went to had the boxes inside the store, not outside. Basically just cardboard boxes of old stuff including TV boxes, remotes, cables, etc. And yes there was quite a bit of stuff in them.

They appeared to be for anything that didn't qualify for the rebate, including old PVRs and receivers that didn't qualify and I believe old rental boxes too once their returns were documented, plus accessories. They originally told me I could recycle my old SA 8300HD PVRs and my old SA 4250HD box there
Thanks. It sounds like they recycle whatever is put in those boxes. Then I don't see a difference with E-waste recycling that is more accessible to me. I doubt that greedy Rogers will just give those boxes to people in need.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6498 posts
4287 upvotes
SW ON
XeniaOnatopp wrote: Staff at the Rogers Store can answer what the exact purposes are. I won't work at the store; I only want to recycle the equipment responsibly. The staff at the store asked me and I told her about the nature of the equipment and let me put it there.

If it's that much of an issue I'll just put them in the garbage next time.
Sorry, I only asked in case you knew more about those boxes. @EugW answered my question.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6498 posts
4287 upvotes
SW ON
BernardRyder wrote: I tried giving away my 8300HD a few years back, no takers. I took the HDD out as it is an IDE drive, they are getting rare and are useful for some older computer hardware. The box I will send to ewaste eventually.
I suggest you keep the remote, they are universal and will work for many TV's. You never know.
That's exactly what I thought of doing. Except I doubt I will ever need the remote.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
21002 posts
7349 upvotes
Toronto
alpovs wrote: Thanks. It sounds like they recycle whatever is put in those boxes. Then I don't see a difference with E-waste recycling that is more accessible to me. I doubt that greedy Rogers will just give those boxes to people in need.
Well, they still use some of the devices. They still have a lot of customers on legacy digital cable.

They probably wouldn't use the old Scientific Atlanta stuff, but they do use the Nextboxes.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6498 posts
4287 upvotes
SW ON
EugW wrote: Well, they still use some of the devices. They still have a lot of customers on legacy digital cable.

They probably wouldn't use the old Scientific Atlanta stuff, but they do use the Nextboxes.
They who? Rogers? I would give these boxes someone for free but I don't want to give them to Rogers for free, so Rogers will sell or rent them to someone.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
21002 posts
7349 upvotes
Toronto
alpovs wrote: They who? Rogers? I would give these boxes someone for free but I don't want to give them to Rogers for free, so Rogers will sell or rent them to someone.
Yes Rogers uses these boxes for their rental customers of course.

If you can find someone that can use them that would be best.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2002
4316 posts
1409 upvotes
Brampton
I gave 2 of my boxes to my dad, he still has cable. I think I still have one or two lying around here...
INFORMATION: The requested thread does not exist.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
6876 posts
2161 upvotes
0 downvotes
prod wrote: I gave 2 of my boxes to my dad, he still has cable. I think I still have one or two lying around here...
Yes its better to "Give" them to someone who needs to replace a broken box and cant afford it, than to give it back to Rogers.
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!
Apr 16, 2007
823 posts
164 upvotes
Toronto
Is there anyone out there still kickin an 8300HD besides me? Mine is probably about 15 years old - original HD plus a 3rd party SATA expansion. Still runs perfectly and there’s nothing even close to being as feature-rich as an 8300HD. Picture-in-picture - which I use daily - plus it has component video out, analog front inputs, optical audio out.

Amazingly complex and excellent device!
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
6876 posts
2161 upvotes
0 downvotes
If you want to save the planet, reduce, reuse, recycle. This means if you have an unused satellite or cable or iptv receiver, GIVE it to a friend, you never know, maybe they have a broken box and cant afford to replace it. Everyone I gave away my boxes to NEEDED one and could not afford to buy or rent them so I did them a huge favour and I was able to declutter and stop hording unused electronics. so it was a win-win situation

if u exhausted all your options and cant find anyone to "give" the box to, then take it to a place that does electronics waste recycling, some places even do pop up clinics look for them on twitter and such. i got rid of a bunch of old electronics this way. but make sure you remove the serial numbers from your tv account before you recycle the boxes, it makes no sense to have a serial number (SAB) on your account of a box that has been destroyed or recycled.
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6498 posts
4287 upvotes
SW ON
Just to give this thread some closure - I don't know anybody who still watches cable TV, so I had nobody to give these boxes to. I removed an antique HDD from the 8300HD, peeled off the stickers with various numbers and couple of months ago placed these boxes into an electronics recycling bin, closest to me that I could find.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
6114 posts
1955 upvotes
Mississauga
EugW wrote: Rogers is not pure IPTV. Existing customers on digital cable can stay on digital cable. However, Rogers is actively pushing people away from digital cable to IPTV, by offering discounts for existing customers to switch to IPTV that they aren’t offering if they remain on digital cable.

This appears to be a reversal of policy from a few years ago. Back then, Rogers’ IPTV consistently cost more, because those discounts were more widely available on digital cable than IPTV for existing customers, which made little sense to me since their IPTV was new back then and apparently had many more bugs than they do now.

I still have TV because of the wife and kids. They like some shows that are much harder to find on streaming services.
what is one example of a show that's hard to find on streaming apps?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
21002 posts
7349 upvotes
Toronto
Ducky wrote: what is one example of a show that's hard to find on streaming apps?
Smaller shows like specific cooking shows or specific home improvement shows, etc.

Often they will be on the streaming apps for their respective channels, but they often wouldn't be available to you through the app unless you've paid for the channel anyway, through a cable subscription or whatever. Or even if it is available through an app, it's often a PITA to access content, sometimes with forced commercials. At least with a cable subscription, it's centralized, relatively convenient, and you can skip the commercials. Plus, since I've bundled my cable TV subscription with my internet service, the incremental cost for cable TV isn't huge.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3687 posts
922 upvotes
GTA North
alpovs wrote: Just to give this thread some closure - I don't know anybody who still watches cable TV, so I had nobody to give these boxes to. I removed an antique HDD from the 8300HD, peeled off the stickers with various numbers and couple of months ago placed these boxes into an electronics recycling bin, closest to me that I could find.
I usually take out the magnets from the HDD. Can never have enough of those powerful magnet.
Heatware 3-0
Homer Simpson - Marge, don't discourage the boy! Weaseling out of things is what separates us from animals - except for the weasel.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
6876 posts
2161 upvotes
0 downvotes
alpovs wrote: Just to give this thread some closure - I don't know anybody who still watches cable TV, so I had nobody to give these boxes to. I removed an antique HDD from the 8300HD, peeled off the stickers with various numbers and couple of months ago placed these boxes into an electronics recycling bin, closest to me that I could find.
Good for you, save the planet! this is how you solve climate change too
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2008
1139 posts
689 upvotes
Toronto
If you know anyone who has multiple family homes on Rogers cable TV (not Ignite) you can basically have 1 family subscribe to all of the content while the second (third, fourth ...) only get basic cable.
Have all of the boxes registered and activated on the first account.

Connect all of the boxes in the various homes and you will get access to all of the content that the main account has access to. As long as the boxes are on the Rogers network, Rogers has no way of knowing where the boxes physically are. Once they've been activated, you can plug them in anywhere on the Rogers network and have them work.

You can intermix Scientific Atlanta and Netbox's without an issue.
Also, unless something changed over the past month, you cannot buy new Netbox's from Rogers. So, you're stuck paying a monthly rental charge. If you can buy an SA or Netbox unit, it's cheaper in the long run.

Might as well add it here, also, Ignite depends on an internet connection for it to work. Considering how often the internet goes down in my area, I'll stick to cable.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
6876 posts
2161 upvotes
0 downvotes
Canuck_TO wrote: Rogers has no way of knowing where the boxes physically are. Once they've been activated, you can plug them in anywhere on the Rogers network and have them work.
I doubt this is true, The boxes communicate back, and every neighbor hood is a different node. im sure if they wanted to they can check
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2008
1139 posts
689 upvotes
Toronto
GoodFellaz wrote: I doubt this is true, The boxes communicate back, and every neighbor hood is a different node. im sure if they wanted to they can check
I've been doing this for years.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
6876 posts
2161 upvotes
0 downvotes
doing what for years? recycling your old unused boxes? reminding everyone the subject of this post. if u have a box u no longer need, give it to a family member or friend who is in need of replacing a broken box.
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!
Deal Addict
May 18, 2002
4316 posts
1409 upvotes
Brampton
Canuck_TO wrote: I've been doing this for years.
Yes, but when a box goes unused for a long period, it may no longer be associated with the previous account and will not receive any channels as it appears to be bumped out of their system.
I have two boxes that no longer receive channels, and when I called to register them, rogers rep says they are too old and cannot be associated with any account.
INFORMATION: The requested thread does not exist.