Shopping Discussion

What do rainchecks have anything to do with Covid?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 26th, 2020 9:12 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
4226 posts
1777 upvotes
Scarborough

What do rainchecks have anything to do with Covid?

Every grocery store now has this posting saying due to covid there shall be no rainchecks. How exactly is this an excuse? If it's because they touch the paper and write on it then how is it any different than the cashier grabbing the receipt off the cash register to hand it to you??
47 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
10941 posts
4242 upvotes
Because there's no guarantee they will get the product back in stock especially if its seasonal. I think this should be obvious.
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
4226 posts
1777 upvotes
Scarborough
blexann wrote: Because there's no guarantee they will get the product back in stock especially if its seasonal. I think this should be obvious.
I'm talking about products that are in the flyer such as meat
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
10941 posts
4242 upvotes
OrangeBerry wrote: I'm talking about products that are in the flyer such as meat
Could be supply chain issues.

If it's steaks I've been buying quite a bit over the past few months and stock has been pretty good. What store? Could also try PM'ing
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
4226 posts
1777 upvotes
Scarborough
blexann wrote: Could be supply chain issues.

If it's steaks I've been buying quite a bit over the past few months and stock has been pretty good. What store? Could also try PM'ing
Just regular chicken that they had on sale. First was couple weeks ago Food Basics ran out of chicken thighs that were on sale, then today metro has the chicken quarters super cheap. Also gone, I mean if it's a supply chain issue than why even bother selling it for cheap and run it through the flyer? I got the "meat supply is in short demand right now...".... But again, why even put it up as a sale price if these items are supposedly in dire restrictions??? Baffling
Last edited by OrangeBerry on Jul 28th, 2020 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7396 posts
1573 upvotes
Scarborough
Agree, its stupid

These days its “covid” excuse to turn it into banana republic
I’m just surprised the powers that be haven’t killed us all yet in the name of “covid” excuse
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4986 posts
818 upvotes
Calgary
It's because rainchecks will be returned to the store by someone with unknown hygiene - ie the Store cashier taking it doesn't know the contamination.

Yes you can argue it can be cleaned, money is still accepted etc but why would the store continue if they dont have to?.

There is a pandemic on. Suck it up and grow up.
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2007
13622 posts
4067 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
What do rainchecks have anything to do with Politics, Religion, or Controversial?

This sounds to me more like a Shopping Discussion.
Global warming will be exceeded during the 21st century unless deep reductions in carbon dioxide (CO2) and other greenhouse gas emissions occur (United Nations IPCC Report 2021)

Every disaster film starts with scientists being ignored
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
10941 posts
4242 upvotes
No rain checks during the pandemic
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
2991 posts
2799 upvotes
K-W/Guelph
Right now supply lines are screwed up everywhere. Product is back-ordered to hell and people are buying more than ever, especially at grocery stores. Because of this many stores have no idea if they'll have enough product to satisfy demand, so rainchecks have been canned, even for flyer items.

It's important to remember that flyers are made weeks in advance, to account for printing and whatnot. But with the current situation in the world a store may go from having lots of some product one day to none the next. Just look what happened with Lysol, before COVID hit stores had plenty of it, a week later anything with the L-word on it was gone. I remembered seeing sales for Lysol all the time after this even though not a single store had the product XD.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14945 posts
11381 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
I'll take a rain-check please!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2010
1188 posts
727 upvotes
Richmond Hill
My question among all of this is this:

Rain cheques STILL exist??!?!!!???

I haven't requested a rain cheque on a product since the 80's.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
3861 posts
3679 upvotes
Toronto
Cough wrote: It's because rainchecks will be returned to the store by someone with unknown hygiene - ie the Store cashier taking it doesn't know the contamination.

Yes you can argue it can be cleaned, money is still accepted etc but why would the store continue if they dont have to?.

If there is a pandemic why are they accepting cash again? Coupons? Many stores arent even limiting the amount of customers in them. This is just an excuse to deliver poor service.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1307 posts
873 upvotes
London, On
Rain checks always struck me as a courtesy, not a rule. They could easily fall back on "while supplies last", which I guess is what they are going if they aren't offering rain checks now. Nothing says they have to be able to supply everybody who wants a sale item.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
12640 posts
7763 upvotes
Markham
I thought Canadian Tire have no rain check policy like long time even before pandemic?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
4226 posts
1777 upvotes
Scarborough
Cough wrote: It's because rainchecks will be returned to the store by someone with unknown hygiene - ie the Store cashier taking it doesn't know the contamination.

Hmm are we both talking about the same thing? A raincheck is when something is on sale and out of stock and when it becomes in stock then they sell it to you for the raincheck price at the time. I don't think it applies to groceries that you've already purchased and then returning them back to the store. That is more along the lines of a "price guarantee" issue but nothing to do with rainchecks.
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
23635 posts
11740 upvotes
Toronto
Even if the supply chain is broken, the raincheck is holding the sale price for you to basically try and get the product again. Guess what happens if they still don't have it - that's the end of the raincheck.

I agree, it's an excuse to not hand them out.
RedFlagDeals Addict - 2008 Nominee for Most Helpful User
Wash your car at Petro-Canada? Think again! Car damaged and nobody cares
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7396 posts
1573 upvotes
Scarborough
If supply chains were actually broken we’d still be seeing empty store shelves, but in many places everything seems back to normal stock. People just weren’t very “cleaning” before covid so thats why there was a mad rush for cleaning supplies. Now u can easily find everything
Even masks are on sale now lolz almost half price down, from 40 bucks for box to 19.99 a box this week
Even bleach and dettol widely available
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
47568 posts
8183 upvotes
Richmond Hill
DaVibe wrote: Even if the supply chain is broken, the raincheck is holding the sale price for you to basically try and get the product again. Guess what happens if they still don't have it - that's the end of the raincheck.

I agree, it's an excuse to not hand them out.
Probably because wholesale costs are unpredictable so by giving out a raincheck they would not be able to determine the cost of the product at a later time.