Food & Drink

What do rich people eat? Culture of food.

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 23rd, 2019 9:05 am
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4357 posts
1798 upvotes
Mississauga
Rich people didn’t get rich by spending money...
Penalty Box
Apr 5, 2013
3876 posts
1216 upvotes
markham
hey poet...expand your thinking a bit...rich people (and I hang around many) are just like you and me...most don't have servants and eat the same slop we eat...but...a lot of dinners out for decent food...not a shit show every night , but a lot of dinners out..Kegs are ok..local no name establishments really rule...fair price for a decent meal and away we go....a but of wine...they obviously have more disposable income than most, but there isn't white tablecloth and lobster served all the time...actually almost ever...just normal stuff but eating out more than the norm.
I have 3 CEO's in my circle and all double digit millionaires...but you wouldn't know them from jack when we are out...I am lucky though...I just ride coattails.

but don't sweat this stiff...just be smart and ambitious and hopefully one day you will get yours and get to enjoy without overthinking.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4639 posts
1438 upvotes
Toronto
DiceMan wrote:
Aug 18th, 2019 9:40 pm
Well, there is an incredible spectrum that defines "rich people". From "anyone who has more money than me" to the mega billionaires with $80M homes, $200M yachts, and Lear jets. I think the average VP of a largish company making a couple of hundred k a year will eat more or less like me. Bill Gates might have his own chef, nutritionist, and fitness consultant. Though, I still think it's the individual. I hear billionaire Prez Trump likes to eat well done steaks - Christ sakes.

Hey, good guess, BTW. Andrew IS my given name!
Also one thing people haven't addressed is frequency, rather than just cost of a meal. I have some relatives who fall into the VP-ish range (household income probably $500k/year), and while they don't eat at extravagant places, they do eat out every single meal, and that's not an exaggeration. So no caviar or lobster on a regular basis, but "middle class"-equivalent pricing or a little higher every night of the year.
Jul 24, 2019
87 posts
111 upvotes
Canada
I think of rich people such as Tom Brady (football) and Gisele Bündchen (model) with a combined net worth of $580 million. They are vegetarians who eat a Mediterranean diet, with an emphasis on organic, locally grown, seasonal, and minimally processed foods: fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, seeds, and legumes

I think of rich people such as Jennifer Lopez with a net worth of $400 milliion. She has a diet of lean proteins and non-starchy veggies along with some healthy fats and complex carbs—like brown rice and sweet potatoes.

Warrren Buffet, worth $79 billion, eats sugary soda, junk food, and limited vegetables. He has about five cans of Coca-Cola products a day. He eats McDonalds 3 times per week. He is 88 an has been diagnosed with prostate cancer. That diagnosis is typical for males at that age.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
23987 posts
9518 upvotes
DiceMan wrote:
Aug 18th, 2019 9:40 pm

Well, there is an incredible spectrum that defines "rich people".
Isn't rich defined at like $100k/year income?
So literally everyone on RFD.
jflex wrote:
Aug 18th, 2019 10:35 pm
Both Bill Gates and Warren Buffett have been well known to show up at some random local burger stand, and line up like anyone else.
Pfft. If I had Bill Gates money, I'd just buy the place so I wouldn't have to line up.
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Aug 18th, 2019 10:36 pm
Kind of like if I got lucky and won a billion dollar Powerball jackpot in the US. Am I going to suddenly stop eating at Five Guys, Shake Shack, In-N-Out, and Chick-Fil-A? Nope. Of course I'll knock some Michelin 3-stars off my bucket list, (starting with the famous Jiro Ono from "Jiro Dreams of Sushi"), but I'll still enjoy those burgers and chicken sandwiches.
If you won a billion dollars I could totally see you buying up a McSushi place just to shut it down.
Either that or flying a Chick-Fil-A to you. Maybe some real Popeyes too.
mrweather wrote:
Aug 19th, 2019 4:01 pm
Ever notice what Warren Buffet wears?
Those that flaunt their wealth usually have very little of it.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2007
4839 posts
1013 upvotes
Rich people eat WHAT THEY WANT TO EAT. There are some rich people that like to eat burgers and fries. Some really like to indulge in the fancy stuff. It's a personal choice. I don't think you can generalize that rich people eat a particular kind of food. I'm relatively wealthy but I'm not into fine dining. I much prefer to eat normal foods. I rarely spend over $50 per head on any meal and I don't drink alcohol. Not drinking saves a ton of money.

I don't see a lot of rich people shopping at whole foods. I actually see a lot of SJWs or young liberal types who needs to validate themselves with their ideologies shopping at whole foods. I had a tenant who lived pay cheque to pay cheque and she shopped at Whole Foods. She was living beyond her means renting my place. Also, there is a Food Basic not far away.

Some rich people are rich because they have success in work/business. Some people are rich because they have average incomes but above average money mentality. People who became rich from spending within their means and investing wisely probably have some habits stuck to them. They know the value of things and don't have a habit of overpaying. Meanwhile, some people who splurge are actually quite poor. They feel insecure if they don't do what other people are doing.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
41090 posts
4878 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
lecale wrote:
Aug 17th, 2019 10:11 pm
Oh you are paying for handcrafted end to end, if you have the money for it. The backstory, the experience. There's this guy in France that just got demoted to 2 Michelin stars because his three-regional-French-cheese souffle tasted like cheddar. He's outraged because he's practically running a pony farm to support the restaurant. They have their own cows and chickens and three trained botanists out in the mountains collecting herbs, and smack, they are accused of using cheddar.

It was carried across a lot of media outlets, but I'll let you read the Daily Mail version because it captures the outrage: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ouffl.html

It's not good enough to have grass-fed free-range hormone and antibiotic free beef anymore, you've got to let people meet the steer. People are ravenous for the story of their food.
cardguy wrote:
Aug 19th, 2019 4:49 pm
hey poet...expand your thinking a bit...rich people (and I hang around many) are just like you and me...most don't have servants and eat the same slop we eat...but...a lot of dinners out for decent food...not a shit show every night , but a lot of dinners out..Kegs are ok..local no name establishments really rule...fair price for a decent meal and away we go....a but of wine...they obviously have more disposable income than most, but there isn't white tablecloth and lobster served all the time...actually almost ever...just normal stuff but eating out more than the norm.
I have 3 CEO's in my circle and all double digit millionaires...but you wouldn't know them from jack when we are out...I am lucky though...I just ride coattails.

but don't sweat this stiff...just be smart and ambitious and hopefully one day you will get yours and get to enjoy without overthinking.
I think lecale is the only who got the point of this thread.
But its interesting to see how you interpreted the question. Including other view points presented here.

She mentions the trend of cuisine being “handcrafted end to end”.

Yes i already know that rich people eat the same as everyone else.
Even the greatest top class chefs in the world eat dirty bacon and eggs for breakfast. Not some sort of egga and cheese soufflé.
One of Jamie Oliver’s favourites is the humble fish and chips.

What i refer to are the culinary trends of whats considered “rich” food.
It has indeed evolved over the years. Its also been blurred when upscale offerings are now more accessible and mass marketed.

P.s. no i don’t believe rich people eat this everyday and envy them. I’m merely passionate about food. Including the history and culture behind it.
I merely want to discuss current trends in upscale food that are seen as status symbols.
Penalty Box
Apr 5, 2013
3876 posts
1216 upvotes
markham
UrbanPoet wrote:
Aug 19th, 2019 10:28 pm
I think lecale is the only who got the point of this thread.
But its interesting to see how you interpreted the question. Including other view points presented here.

She mentions the trend of cuisine being “handcrafted end to end”.

Yes i already know that rich people eat the same as everyone else.
Even the greatest top class chefs in the world eat dirty bacon and eggs for breakfast. Not some sort of egga and cheese soufflé.
One of Jamie Oliver’s favourites is the humble fish and chips.

What i refer to are the culinary trends of whats considered “rich” food.
It has indeed evolved over the years. Its also been blurred when upscale offerings are now more accessible and mass marketed.

P.s. no i don’t believe rich people eat this everyday and envy them. I’m merely passionate about food. Including the history and culture behind it.
I merely want to discuss current trends in upscale food that are seen as status symbols.
maybe you and others see the food "rich" people eat as a status symbol...but I have never, nor will I ever let any "symbols", class reference, any awards or other status reinforcement play on me...some people chase and wanna be the "Jones"...I have learned that the Jones's aren't all that, and don't pay any attention to them anymore...make your own world and let other admire or be jealous of it..don't live life wondering or being jealous of someone elses.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6816 posts
3976 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
mrweather wrote:
Aug 19th, 2019 4:01 pm
That really depends - lots inherit. There are very few TRULY self-made wealthy. The offspring and grandchildren of the person who actually created the wealth are often pretty useless money wasters.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
23987 posts
9518 upvotes
cardguy wrote:
Aug 20th, 2019 6:50 am
maybe you and others see the food "rich" people eat as a status symbol...but I have never, nor will I ever let any "symbols",
I remember the scene in Futurama where everyone got $300 in a tax refund.
Zoidberg got some fine dining food consisting of caviar and foie gras.
He was all like "Where's the fish? Where's the goose?" I had this garbage yesterday.
I giggled.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
41090 posts
4878 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
cardguy wrote:
Aug 20th, 2019 6:50 am
maybe you and others see the food "rich" people eat as a status symbol...but I have never, nor will I ever let any "symbols", class reference, any awards or other status reinforcement play on me...some people chase and wanna be the "Jones"...I have learned that the Jones's aren't all that, and don't pay any attention to them anymore...make your own world and let other admire or be jealous of it..don't live life wondering or being jealous of someone elses.
Its interesting to see your view point also. It seems to have struct quite a nerve. You aren't teaching any novel lessons here.
Its quite irrefutable that our society (and pretty much all societies in this world) have cultural attachments to things.

You can take it a step further... its a “social construction”.

Yes fancy food is ultimately just “food”.
Yes a downtown 3000sq. Ft. penthouse condo is just a “apartment”.
Yes a $200,000 Bentley is just a “car”.

In your thinking... being a sociologist must mean the person is obsessed with rich people. No... they study how our society interacts and creates these structures & constructs.

I’m not going to condescendingly say that this concept is beyond your comprehension. Because i’m sure if you think hard enough about it... you’ll understand what i’m trying to discuss. But it seems rather you want to push the idea that such existing concepts and constructs don’t matter. Or that they shouldn’t matter. Or that they aren't worthy of discussion.

This is only one aspect of food and drinking culture. Believe me... there are many on both ends of the spectrum.
Others I find interesting... is actually the culture and history behind food & drink on the lower ends of social and economic class.

For example... the significance of the neighbourhood “dive bar”.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2019/0 ... fying.html

I do get your point. Its one of the most basic and most told things... “be yourself and don’t care what others think”.

Thats really not the point here. If thats what you get from this discussion. Thats fine. You're entitled to your opinion & i respect that.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6011 posts
436 upvotes
BC
I know some very rich people, at home they eat what is cooked for them! But they do eat at normal restaurants, high end restaurants, snack on the same foods we do. A normal restaurant order is one or two (depending on how many ppl) of everything so everyone can eat whatever they want.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
11383 posts
1617 upvotes
Mississauga
I just figure rich people eat out more at regular restaurants, but aren't exactly chowing down on lobster and foie gras every night. Health-conscious rich people probably have more healthy stuff in their pantries while fat rich people have the same old junk food we do.