Shopping Discussion

What do you buy at Costco that makes the membership pay off for you?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 12th, 2021 2:59 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12217 posts
7298 upvotes

What do you buy at Costco that makes the membership pay off for you?

Sell me on a membership. What do you buy at Costco that makes the membership pay off for you?
137 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3162 posts
2818 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
lecale wrote: Sell me on a membership. What do you buy at Costco that makes the membership pay off for you?
Oh joy. Another "why should I get/keep my Costco membership?" thread.

If you use the search tool you will find your question answered multiple times before.

Like marriage and haggis, Costco isn't for everyone. What some see as an advantage, others see as a disadvantage, and what some see as value others see as a waste of money.

Only you can decide if Costco works for you, which is why they offer a risk free membership that can be refunded if you decide you don't like it.

Ask for a guest pass at the membership counter and look around, or get a membership, do some shopping for a couple of weeks and decide if it floated your proverbial boat.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2016
1145 posts
1750 upvotes
scarborough
Tires both summer and winter
Major appliances such as washer/dryer, dishwasher, fridge and stove (2 yr warranty)

Television with 2 yr warranties

Extended warranties are cheaper than the brick or Leons,

Toilet paper/ paper towels.

Coffee cream, Rotisserie chicken, Ribs, Romaine Salad, Cheeses, Yogurt

Egg Nog is very good
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12217 posts
7298 upvotes
I mean, what are the particular deals that are there day in and day out?

I do not have a membership and I am not interested in the deal of the day.

I am interested in what is always a deal.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
25993 posts
10704 upvotes
Socially Distanced
lecale wrote: I mean, what are the particular deals that are there day in and day out?

Chia seeds are $3/lb regular price.
ALLCAPS wrote: Like marriage and haggis, Costco isn't for everyone.
I would be majorly impressed if Costco sold Haggis Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
20416 posts
8817 upvotes
Toronto
Tires, gas and other items like Nuts etc.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23253 posts
4689 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Cat and dog food.
Apr 16, 2013
623 posts
666 upvotes
Surrey
lecale wrote: Sell me on a membership. What do you buy at Costco that makes the membership pay off for you?

I don't have a membership but the Greatest thing going for them is there Generous Return Policy. You can pretty much return anything at anytime without packaging or the Receipt. Only exception to the Generous Return Policy is Electronic items: Such as TV, Tablets, Cell Phones etc which have a 90 Day limited return period. All these 90 Day Return Period items qualify for a Free 2nd year of warranty. If such item already comes with a Manufacturer 2nd year warranty then you get an Extra Year from Costco. Making it a total of 3 year
Banned
Oct 10, 2020
1037 posts
619 upvotes
Tires, car battery and my car is less likely to get dents in their parking lots.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3162 posts
2818 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
lecale wrote: I mean, what are the particular deals that are there day in and day out?

There's a whole mega thread discussing this very thing.

Really don't understand why you though it necessary to start a whole new thread when the answers have already been covered multiple times.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
10296 posts
19056 upvotes
Montreal
the2ndme wrote: Tires, car battery and my car is less likely to get dents in their parking lots.
Because... Costco members are better people?
Aug 6, 2014
119 posts
100 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Temporel wrote: Because... Costco members are better people?
I think he's referring to the extra wide parking spaces you won't see in any other store.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3162 posts
2818 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
Quentin5 wrote: I would be majorly impressed if Costco sold Haggis Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
...but it would be sold 6 months before Robbie Burns day.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
25993 posts
10704 upvotes
Socially Distanced
ALLCAPS wrote: ...but it would be sold 6 months before Robbie Burns day.
And 6 months afterwards?
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
16835 posts
32852 upvotes
Scarborough
the2ndme wrote: Tires, car battery and my car is less likely to get dents in their parking lots.
The spaced out parking spots really are great!

I just like their overall product selection and how frequently new things come in. Yogurt, paper towel/toilet paper, and rotisserie chicken are probably the things I buy most often. Needing a membership to shop on Costco,ca now is another reason I keep my membership active.
RFD Staff - Have a question? Send me a PM
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts]
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22804 posts
21639 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
ALLCAPS wrote: There's a whole mega thread discussing this very thing.

Really don't understand why you though it necessary to start a whole new thread when the answers have already been covered multiple times.
This

Here’s the link = costco-membership-worth-1091701/

In fact I don’t get this new thread at all … considering @lecale participated in the MegaThread

viewtopic.php?p=27773773

And I see I gave a pretty good run down on our main money savers right below that post

IMO … nothing has really changed. COSTCO IS COSTCO
(* Except now you need a Membership to shop online at Costco.ca … that changed since Covid )
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12487 posts
3203 upvotes
I just did this. Bought a new battery. Swapped it out in the parking lot and returned the old battery for the $10 refund. Also like the extra space in the parking spots. I generally have my golf clubs in the trunk, so it makes loading up the back seats easier.

For me, just the gas alone is worth the membership cost.
May 15, 2019
356 posts
362 upvotes
GWN
TomRFD wrote: The spaced out parking spots really are great!

I just like their overall product selection and how frequently new things come in. Yogurt, paper towel/toilet paper, and rotisserie chicken are probably the things I buy most often. Needing a membership to shop on Costco,ca now is another reason I keep my membership active.
They always seem to have the latest "must have" products. Electronics have the best warranties.
Great value in clothing, snack foods, unadvertised frozen entrees.
Best in the business Return policy.
Gas prices, if you don't mind the lineups, or just go at 6:00 / 6:30 am.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5553 posts
1774 upvotes
Toronto
Sharing membership with family/friend is the way IMO, as it's more a special store rather than my go-to grocery place.

Main money savers are the bigger ticket items, specialty things, sort of. For regular groceries they are hardly worthwhile IMO. You get like 10% discount while having to buy 3 times the amount you need. Like fresh bakery, yeah it's cheaper but just end up throwing a bunch away as we can't finish all before expiry or just nobody wants to eat it anymore after the same thing for 2 weeks.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)