Home & Garden

What do you considered as a good vacuum?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 8th, 2019 10:42 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 12, 2018
94 posts
29 upvotes

What do you considered as a good vacuum?

For general home vac purposes both carpet and hard wood. What aspects do you considered important? And which vac do you recommend in the $100ish range ?
32 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9647 posts
5038 upvotes
Paris
neonaiken wrote: For general home vac purposes both carpet and hard wood. What aspects do you considered important? And which vac do you recommend in the $100ish range ?
None of them. Get a refurb of a better vacuum.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1598 posts
666 upvotes
London
Yeah, a $100 vacuum is exactly that...a $100 vacuum. We have a $100ish dollar Dirt Devil at my office and it works okay, but it is mostly picking up sand/dirt that people bring in from the parking lot. The Waterhog mat (awesome btw) grabs most of it, but the rest ends up on the laminate. The DD does pick it up, but the filter is always getting clogged up with the fine particles. I wish we could just find an old school vacuum with an actual bag that we can change. I should have held onto my Grandma's vacuum.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4154 posts
2944 upvotes
IMO - if $100 is your range you will likely will not be happy with results or having to replace it every other year and adding to pollution problem due to our disposable-throw-away culture. Spend a little extra to get a good quality one that will last you a long time - in the long-run it will be way cheaper.

I bought a open-box/refurb Sebo Felix Premium over 5 years ago. I've had absolutely no issues with it - it came with 10 year parts warranty and a 5 year labour warranty that starts from the date of purchase. However, I think it does a better job on carpets than on floors (I say this because after I vacuum and then mop, a lot of dust/lint still gets picked up but I think almost all vacuums will do that) other than that no complaints. It's powerful, durable and easy to use.
Feb 5, 2019
174 posts
154 upvotes
Miele. Quiet, powerful, good filtration. Although they released one with an easy dump and no bag, I'd recommend sticking to ones that uses bags. Utilize the bag to filter out large particles and the HEPA for the finer stuff.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7166 posts
4351 upvotes
Victoria, BC
cheapmeister wrote: Filter queen.
Those things were $1,600 30 years ago. I can't imagine they've come down in price that much.
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
12284 posts
1166 upvotes
Brampton
Chickinvic wrote: Those things were $1,600 30 years ago. I can't imagine they've come down in price that much.
They sell refurbished models as well. It has amazing suction! Can barely move the suction hose back and forth over anything cause of the powerful suction! Need to use two hands!
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35228 posts
21213 upvotes
Center of Universe
I'm using a Dyson ball, which fits my needs for both carpet and hardwood.
Jan 6, 2011
148 posts
214 upvotes
toronto
Miele.. guess try to find refurb or used one
Mar 20, 2006
284 posts
69 upvotes
Edmonton, Alberta
You can often find good deals on dysons online. Had a dc15 for like 8 years and recently changed to a v10.
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
12284 posts
1166 upvotes
Brampton
Pavel wrote: Do they still make them? Compact was another good vacuum at the time.
I think they still do. You can find them at vacuum cleaner shops. Parts are available as well. We still use our filter queen, sucks so strong it pulls out carpet fibers!
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35228 posts
21213 upvotes
Center of Universe
Pavel wrote: What kind of filter does it use? Is it a lifetime filter in the Dyson?
Washable lifetime filter
Jan 13, 2007
490 posts
373 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
We just bought a Dyson Cyclone V10 Motorhead from Canadian Tire this weekend for $600 as our portable vacuum cleaner. There was a Cyclone V10 Animal for $700 and a Cyclone V10 Absolute for $800. The additional features of stepping up from the Motorhead model just didn't seem worth it for us (basically you only get a 40% larger canister and some more attachment heads).

Our main vacuum for the upstairs is still our old, trusty Dyson DC15 Animal. The DC15 is a good vacuum albeit a little heavy. I never found the cord to be a nuisance but, to be honest, after using the cordless Cyclone V10, it made cleaning so much quicker and easier. The V10 is spec'ed to have a 60-minute battery run time which is quite sufficient and a full charge from 0% requires about 3.5 hours. So far, I'm quite impressed with the Dyson Cyclone V10.
Sep 10, 2006
210 posts
21 upvotes
Vancouver
Go for the Miele - amazing vacuums, super quiet, and the bag (which lasts forever) is super simple to change (<30secs). I would never buy a bagless as its such a mess to deal with cleaning out the bin
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2012
1078 posts
473 upvotes
TORONTO
For around a $100 or a little more like $150... The Shark Lift navigator(purple one) has done me well for years. I would say about 7 years to be exact. No bags and similar suction to a Dyson. I remember seeing a Youtube review vs a Dyson and it held well.

My only issue with it is that some parts of it tend to break easily. Hinges and locking parts. Nothing good ol' duct tape couldn't help.
I recently upgraded to a Dyson in December and passed it on to my in-laws.

Considering it was fairly cheap it did a great job. I remember buying it from CT on sale for $99. You don't need to spend over $400 for a 'good' vacuum.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2749 posts
911 upvotes
Windsor
Kijiji for an older Filter Queen; honestly, if you're not vacuuming drywall dust, the vacuum will very likely outlive you.

If you need the beater-bars, make sure the brushes aren't worn out, as the replacement beater is pretty expensive. Also be sure you get the electrical connectors for the hoses; they're only like $10/ea, but the original ones are better than the replacement ones.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 6, 2004
6733 posts
480 upvotes
GT'eh
can't do better than the iconic Kirby
Ne0's Bio:
➡Retired G@mer & t3<h [0nn0!ss3ur ??? Spitting t3<hy lingo since the early 90's ➡Member of Crazy Group Buys ??? ➡ Feedback: eBay|1000+ ??? rFD | 300+