Food & Drink

What do you do with open food items you don't like?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 27th, 2020 4:56 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
3662 posts
2462 upvotes

I hate when this happens especially when it's an expensive item. Most stores don't take it back and I also don't like doing that either because it ends up in the landfill so I usually give to someone I know who may like it. I bought this keto pancake mix because it had good online reviews but I HATE it. Unfortunately I have no one to give it to (or would want it ) - I don't want to throw it out. Just looking for other ideas. I wish I could give it to one of the people that gave it 5 stars.
Before responding to someone (online or offline) ask yourself: is it true? is it helpful? is it kind? is it necessary? This comes from an old Sufi adage that is so relevant today.
33 replies
Sep 28, 2006
244 posts
172 upvotes
Toronto
Put up on facebook or kijiji. A lot of people will take it for free.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
3662 posts
2462 upvotes
Thorkell wrote: Put up on facebook or kijiji. A lot of people will take it for free.
Really? Oh I would have never thought that - might try that.
Before responding to someone (online or offline) ask yourself: is it true? is it helpful? is it kind? is it necessary? This comes from an old Sufi adage that is so relevant today.
May 28, 2012
10920 posts
3092 upvotes
Saskatoon
I hate wasting food so I don't buy a lot of new products unless I'm more or less sure they're good. Buying from Costco or other stores that have a satisfaction guarantee is also a good idea. I don't abuse it, but I like knowing that I can return a truly awful product - places like Costco take customer feedback seriously and if they get enough returns, they might drop it from their inventory.

Unless you can share with family, I don't know if you'll get that many takers from strangers for opened bags of a food item (especially these times).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
3662 posts
2462 upvotes
ShoNuff2 wrote: take a look at what the ingredients are and see if you can sub it into another recipe.

breading for fried chicken?
https://www.gnom-gnom.com/keto-fried-chicken-waffles/
That's a great idea - only thing this product has stevia and I've come to discover that I cannot tolerate even the slightest bit of stevia. I hate the after taste...otherwise the product is pretty decent.
Mars2012 wrote: I hate wasting food so I don't buy a lot of new products unless I'm more or less sure they're good. Buying from Costco or other stores that have a satisfaction guarantee is also a good idea. I don't abuse it, but I like knowing that I can return a truly awful product - places like Costco take customer feedback seriously and if they get enough returns, they might drop it from their inventory.

Unless you can share with family, I don't know if you'll get that many takers from strangers for opened bags of a food item (especially these times).
I generally cook everything from scratch and rarely buy processed/pre-packaged products but on occasion I do just to try something different. I do end up giving several things away. Last year I bought a CSA boxshare and there was rhubarb, never tried it before. So I decided to make a pie since that's the most common use of rhubarb that I know - didn't like it. I have a go-to friend that normally takes almost anything I offer up ...she LOVED the pie and said that's the way it's supposed to taste lol.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
9319 posts
3597 upvotes
Toronto
hierophant wrote: That's a great idea - only thing this product has stevia and I've come to discover that I cannot tolerate even the slightest bit of stevia. I hate the after taste...otherwise the product is pretty decent.
i hear you. i'm not a fan of the stevia after taste as well. i find it helps to mask the flavour of the stevia with other ingredients: some type of acid like lemon/lime/ vinegar, something creamy like avocado, or another sweetener like maple syrup or honey (i know, defeats the purpose of keto) )

i have some protein powder with stevia which i can't tolerate on it's own. i make a shake out of it with avocado, coconut water and ice and it's actually very good.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2004
5091 posts
476 upvotes
Mars2012 wrote: I hate wasting food so I don't buy a lot of new products unless I'm more or less sure they're good. Buying from Costco or other stores that have a satisfaction guarantee is also a good idea. I don't abuse it, but I like knowing that I can return a truly awful product - places like Costco take customer feedback seriously and if they get enough returns, they might drop it from their inventory.

When you return it they still waste it, because it's thrown out. Man last time I bought these something apple croissants from Costco and they were awful. I didn't want to go back for a few dollars so I had to throw them out.

I guess the best way to not truly waste it is to compost it.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
10813 posts
5888 upvotes
Markham
Just chuck it.

Having said that don't expect to eat or find KETO pancakes and expect it to be any good.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1293 posts
834 upvotes
Etobicoke
Thorkell wrote: Put up on facebook or kijiji. A lot of people will take it for free.
I hope people would not consume opened food from a stranger......but you never know
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
3662 posts
2462 upvotes
If your response is to chuck it (compost or garbage), save others the effort of having to read your response and don't bother.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1367 posts
837 upvotes
hierophant wrote: If your response is to chuck it (compost or garbage), save others the effort of having to read your response and don't bother.
Question asked:

I chuck it in the garbage or the organics recycle bin.

OP's signature statement:
ask yourself: is it true? is it helpful? is it kind? is it necessary? If you answer no to any of these, better not to respond.

OP's resulting actions:
Respond with statement that he/she only wants to hear responses that he/she agrees with. If you are to respond with something he/she doesn't agree with, save others the effort of having to read your response and don't bother.

Very Sufi of OP.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
21122 posts
23320 upvotes
Toronto
i feed the birds . seagulls will eat pretty much anything including complete chicken bones.
Things changed now that I’m a father, I can’t live my life a quarter mile at a time anymore.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
3662 posts
2462 upvotes
my0gr81 wrote: Question asked:

I chuck it in the garbage or the organics recycle bin.

OP's signature statement:
ask yourself: is it true? is it helpful? is it kind? is it necessary? If you answer no to any of these, better not to respond.

OP's resulting actions:
Respond with statement that he/she only wants to hear responses that he/she agrees with. If you are to respond with something he/she doesn't agree with, save others the effort of having to read your response and don't bother.

Very Sufi of OP.
It's one thing if posters say "I throw it out", but telling me throw it out is neither necessary or helpful - obviously I know I have the option to throw it. I said it in the OP that I do NOT want to throw it out, I was looking for other options, and I have gotten many great, creative and helpful suggestions. There is a reason why I'm asking - food waste is a HUGE problem especially in "developed" countries where people don't think twice about tossing food despite issues such as climate and change and environmental degradation that reduces food security. I do admit I could have worded my OP better. But thank you for trying to veer this off topic with this attack on me - funny how you didn't take heed from the proverb yourself though. When I put this signature in, I knew people like you would try to use against me instead of trying to see it for its value. I don't claim to practice it 100%, but I'm trying. I have it there to also remind myself to post with integrity and not out of anger or frustration.