Personal Finance

What do you guys do when you realized you gave your info to a website with poor security?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2021 7:22 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2017
1608 posts
952 upvotes

What do you guys do when you realized you gave your info to a website with poor security?

I recently made a reservation and payment for some tickets online.

The site itself was legit, but I recently learned that they store their passwords in plain text and that they automatically saved my credit card info with no obvious way to remove it.

Going to be contacting them to delete all my info, but I guess there's no way to ensure they follow through right?
12 replies
Dec 22, 2007
971 posts
589 upvotes
Mississauga
PerformingAzura wrote: I recently made a reservation and payment for some tickets online.

The site itself was legit, but I recently learned that they store their passwords in plain text and that they automatically saved my credit card info with no obvious way to remove it.

Going to be contacting them to delete all my info, but I guess there's no way to ensure they follow through right?
nothing... once its done its done.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
3144 posts
1185 upvotes
Ottawa
Well, make sure you don't use the password anywhere else. If yes, change it at the other places.
Once the order is done, request a replacement CC from your bank, and also change what information is on your profile (including address) at this site.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
7023 posts
3258 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Ask cc company to issue new card(s) with different numbers
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2017
1608 posts
952 upvotes
fordmaple wrote: What's the website?
Posting it publicly would only increase the likelihood of them getting hacked. (assuming they even have the ability to determine whether they've been hacked)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2017
1608 posts
952 upvotes
Akitakara wrote: Well, make sure you don't use the password anywhere else. If yes, change it at the other places.
Once the order is done, request a replacement CC from your bank, and also change what information is on your profile (including address) at this site.
I used a disposable email and my passwords are always unique.

But since there were liability waivers that needed signing, I used my real info for everything else...
Normally I always put in fake info....
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
10695 posts
5699 upvotes
Markham
PerformingAzura wrote: I used a disposable email and my passwords are always unique.

But since there were liability waivers that needed signing, I used my real info for everything else...
I wouldn't worry too much. You could have given information before to other vendors but just didn't realize they store the password in a plain text. Or some of them are already hacked

This kind of thing happens everyday. I suspect none of my son's after school class secured their students and parents and payment information, but what can you do? If you want to deal with those small business, this is the risk you have to take. Not even for hack, some employees probably just steal those information
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
5306 posts
1628 upvotes
0 downvotes
for sketchy websites i use a disposable credit card like a pre paid one, and a one time password
Hi
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
3144 posts
1185 upvotes
Ottawa
PerformingAzura wrote: I used a disposable email and my passwords are always unique.

I mean that if you have any saved addresses, it might be a good idea to update it.

That was the general recommendation a while back when Canada Computers had the bug where you could view other account's address + phone numbers
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
1720 posts
1027 upvotes
Toronto
georvu wrote: Ask cc company to issue new card(s) with different numbers
+1 on this. Cancel the credit card and have a new one issued.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
6022 posts
6257 upvotes
Toronto
PerformingAzura wrote: I recently made a reservation and payment for some tickets online.

You do that, you go to the box, you know. Two minutes, by yourself, you know and you feel shame, you know. And then you get free.
As someone long prepared for the occasion, in full command of every plan you wrecked---
Do not choose a coward's explanation, that hides behind the cause and the effect...