Credit Cards

What do you need to qualify for American Express "Charge cards"?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 22nd, 2018 4:04 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Banned
Jun 6, 2016
361 posts
252 upvotes
Scarborough, ONT

What do you need to qualify for American Express "Charge cards"?

My friend has the Aeroplan Plus Platinum card, and because he charges a lot of stuff for work to it, basically takes a free vacation every year on the crazy generous points.
Since I also put a lot of work expenses on my CC (currently getting me jack since it's just on a crappy no fee CC) I was looking at the Amex Gold charge card since the fee is lower, but before applying, wondering what the requirements are for these cards? The Amex website is pretty elusive... Basically just says you need to be a Canadian with a Canadian credit file. But something tells me there's more to it than that... I don't want to apply, just to get hard pulled and be denied.
My GF and I have no debt, no balances on CC's, we figure with both of us having one of these cards (first supplementary card free), if we throw everything on them we can also take advantage of some free travel.
So who has one of these cards, and what's your financial situation to get one?
Thanks!
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
7187 posts
697 upvotes
Toronto, ON
How is the AeroplanPlus card 'crazy generous'?!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35549 posts
21609 upvotes
Center of Universe
Pretty much anyone with a decent credit history can qualify for the AMEX Biz Gold.
Penalty Box
Aug 10, 2010
781 posts
198 upvotes
Mars.
The old rule was 7 years of paying off all your credit cards in full.

It was never followed to the letter. My understanding is that your credit history should not have any reports of you owing money to a credit card company with respect to a balance
Don't be a cooch.
Dec 15, 2014
170 posts
99 upvotes
Brossard, QC
Just like the website says, be a Canadian resident with OK income, that's it. Amex used to have a minimum 15,000$ annual income requirement for some cards, now that requirement has been removed.

I have no debt other than mortgage, 10 years of credit history and quite a few other credit cards. 2017 summer I applied for the Gold Rewards Amex and got approved like 2 days later. (Initially got an email saying application is under review, two days later amex called to verify some information on my credit profile, and told me the card is approved).
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
8068 posts
8501 upvotes
The Prairies
vliou wrote: The old rule was 7 years of paying off all your credit cards in full.

It was never followed to the letter. My understanding is that your credit history should not have any reports of you owing money to a credit card company with respect to a balance
This post couldn’t be any more wrong.
The seven year rule was no delinquency in the past 7 years, and have always pay your bills on time in the past 12 months or something like that. It doesn’t factor in balance carrying. Just that the payments were always on time.

OP, the charge cards are suppose to be much easier to get than the credit cards.
If you have good established credit history, and no lates or an derogatory items on your credit bureau, I would say give it a shot.
I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

But since you’re putting work related purchases on it, and depending what those purchases are, you may be better off with a 2% on everything card.
Amex Personal Gold only gives 2% on certain categories.
Earn 2 points for every $1 in Card purchases at eligible gas stations, grocery stores and drugstores in Canada.
Earn 2 points for every $1 in Card purchases for eligible travel purchases, including flights, hotels, car rentals, cruises, and more.
Penalty Box
Aug 10, 2010
781 posts
198 upvotes
Mars.
coolintheshade wrote: This post couldn’t be any more wrong.
The seven year rule was no delinquency in the past 7 years, and have always pay your bills on time in the past 12 months or something like that. It doesn’t factor in balance carrying. Just that the payments were always on time.

OP, the charge cards are suppose to be much easier to get than the credit cards.
If you have good established credit history, and no lates or an derogatory items on your credit bureau, I would say give it a shot.
I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

But since you’re putting work related purchases on it, and depending what those purchases are, you may be better off with a 2% on everything card.
Amex Personal Gold only gives 2% on certain categories.
Earn 2 points for every $1 in Card purchases at eligible gas stations, grocery stores and drugstores in Canada.
Earn 2 points for every $1 in Card purchases for eligible travel purchases, including flights, hotels, car rentals, cruises, and more.
Thanks for the correction and insight.
Don't be a cooch.
May 1, 2015
836 posts
596 upvotes
Toronto, ON
agreed. getting the charge cards tend to be easier. the gold card is highly recommended!
Running successful Spotify group buy since June 2018
Running successful Netflix group buy since Dec 2017
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
3102 posts
1515 upvotes
What kind of work expenses are you putting on the card and how much monthly?

You may want to consider getting referred to the Amex Business Platinum, at least for a year... depending on how much you're spending. Every $1 = 1.25 MR points and you could refer your girlfriend to the Amex Biz Gold.... you get 75,000 ( after $5000 spend, assuming you're referred by someone who is carrying the card ) and every referral ( to your GF or any other family friends ), you get 25,000 points.

Again, it depends on how much you're spending, and on what. Gas/Groceries/pharmacies are 2x with the personal Gold. The extra $250 for the Annual Fee for the Biz Plat gives you way more points and other platinum perks. Well worth it, imho... if you can make minimum spend.
I'd love to write history... in advance.
AMEX Biz Plat 75K AGAIN! | Plat 60K | Biz Gold 40K | Gold 25K | SPG 20K