Computers & Electronics

What do you think about curved monitors?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 2nd, 2020 5:04 am
[OP]
Sep 25, 2020
35 posts
9 upvotes

What do you think about curved monitors?

I'm thinking about buying a curved monitor.

Is it really good for your eyes? Or is it just marketing?
16 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1124 posts
565 upvotes
Toronto
I have a 34" Alienware one, and love it. I do find it easier than a wide flat monitor when sat so close to it. And the immersion is great in games. Is it better for your eyes? Dunno, but I find it easier as my focal length isn't changing from one side to the other.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
4120 posts
1469 upvotes
GTA
canada85000 wrote: I'm thinking about buying a curved monitor.

Is it really good for your eyes? Or is it just marketing?
For a computer screen i'd get it, for tv hell no.
[OP]
Sep 25, 2020
35 posts
9 upvotes
Thank you for the comments.

I will do some research online and might buy a curved monitor on November black Friday.
Dec 10, 2005
503 posts
184 upvotes
I have a Samsung C32HG70 32", 1800R curve - I love it, this is coming from a 27" Dell ultrasharp professional monitor. I sit about 75cm away, it took me all of 15min to adjust and now, flat monitors just seem wrong.

I play CSGO comp(I'm LEM) and its perfect for it as well.
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
11758 posts
1472 upvotes
Toronto
The Canterbury Tail wrote: I have a 34" Alienware one, and love it. I do find it easier than a wide flat monitor when sat so close to it. And the immersion is great in games. Is it better for your eyes? Dunno, but I find it easier as my focal length isn't changing from one side to the other.
Isn't that something you want, though? If you're staring at a screen for a long time, then you want to vary your focus in order to exercise your eye muscles.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1124 posts
565 upvotes
Toronto
board123 wrote: Isn't that something you want, though? If you're staring at a screen for a long time, then you want to vary your focus in order to exercise your eye muscles.
Which is why I held off from saying that's a good thing. However the best way to do that is actually to take screen breaks completely rather than adjust them by an inch or so focus.
Oct 29, 2019
222 posts
206 upvotes
38" curved LG. Really liking it, especially now I'm working from home 100% of the time - the curve helps with such a wide screen, but not really noticeable after a while. Haven't gamed a lot with it, but the few times I did, it's been really enjoyable - looking to get a controller so I can sit back and relax while playing.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5655 posts
800 upvotes
Calgary
I don't think it works with surround gaming triple monitor setup?
Oct 29, 2009
621 posts
303 upvotes
I have a 32" curved that I use for work and games. It's nice and I'm glad I ordered the curved, but it's not a game-changer. I wouldn't pay a lot more for it.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2728 posts
904 upvotes
Windsor
I have 3x 24" normal flat monitors at home (Dell U-series), and I like the experience for office use (and the price: $200/monitor, which was a lot cheaper than curved screens of equivalent quality at the time). Gaming? I only use the middle monitor when I game at home, and haven't gamed on the work monitors, so I can't really comment.

At work, my boss went wild buying curved monitors: 27, 30, 32, 34, and a 49. He also bought a 27" flat monitor at my request.

The 27" curved looks REALLY weird; it's a cheap Sceptre though, so maybe the curve sucks? The 30, 32, and 34 are all Samsung, and visually have a similar curve; I'd say acceptable, but still seem a bit weird. The 49", otoh, is good, and is the least curved of the bunch; it was $1,200USD IIRC, and I'd probably buy that one. None of them are easier on your eyes though. I've never heard that claimed anywhere, but if anyone is saying it, it's definitely marketing.

I will note, for CAD (especially 2D cad)? The screen has to have a REALLY slight curve, otherwise everything looks really wacky if you're not perfectly in line with the monitor. Flat pretty much universally looks better for this purpose.

If you want the panoramic look without bezels? It's nice. Visually looking at it when not using it (desk appeal)? They clean up the look of a desk a lot. However, losing the Win-L/R buttons to organize windows is very annoying (on a super wide screen, like that 49"). If I could setup windows to pretend the screen is actually 3 screens, that'd be a lot nicer.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2013
1500 posts
310 upvotes
Toronto
A big no for content creation, for content consumption it's ok
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2013
1612 posts
682 upvotes
Markham
Great for gaming, movies, tv shows only. Not so for work/content creation.
cd ~/cloudbox
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2013
1500 posts
310 upvotes
Toronto
myinglin0318 wrote: Great for gaming, movies, tv shows only. Not so for work/content creation.
I wish they made non-gaming monitors above 60Hz so you could game on it too
Jun 28, 2005
83 posts
6 upvotes
Georgetown
mucat wrote: I don't think it works with surround gaming triple monitor setup?
i setup a triple monitor with my 34" curved and two old panels in portrait mode either side and i'm not sure if immersive is the word but def. found value in the config.

the side panels just display system info and stuff i want to keep an eye on but it still somehow makes the gaming experience more than a notch or two better.

highly recommended.