Food & Drink

What do you think of Indian-Hakka restaurant food that are starting to open up here?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 3rd, 2021 1:13 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 2, 2013
1546 posts
2417 upvotes
Toronto

What do you think of Indian-Hakka restaurant food that are starting to open up here?

there seems to be a lot of restaurants in the GTA and toronto opening with Hakka in the name of the restaurant. Looks like it is just deep fried food, but cooked with Indian style fusion with sauces like curry, masala, chili, etcetera. But not authentic Chinese style Hakka cuisine, as the wikipedia article below indicates. There appears to be a market for such cuisine, though, so it must be popular in this area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hakka_cuisine

how would you describe the flavour of this fusion cuisine? which restaurants do you recommend?
Last edited by oicthat2013 on Nov 22nd, 2020 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
67 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
3013 posts
497 upvotes
Toronto
I think Hakka restaurants have been opening in the GTA for decades and that I can't recall seeing any that serve "curry" or "masala".
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
19990 posts
5369 upvotes
Good Morning
Hakka sweet noodles, Pakora, chili chicken, crispy beef, so good. Back in high school (15+ years ago) I remember going to the local Hakka restaurant for a $5 lunch, bigass plate of garlic chicken, rice and a pop.

They've definitely been around in the GTA for a long time.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
44154 posts
7245 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
oicthat2013 wrote: there seems to be a lot of restaurants in the GTA and toronto opening with Hakka in the name of the restaurant. Looks like it is just deep fried food, but cooked with Indian style fusion with sauces like curry, masala, chili, etcetera. But not authentic Chinese style Hakka cuisine, as the wikipedia article below indicates. There appears to be a market for such cuisine, though, so it must be popular in this area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hakka_cuisine
Indian hakka chinese in this context...
It refers to food made by chinese immigrants in india to cater to local taste.

Example... you know those “canadian” chinese food places? Fried rice with chicken balls topped with sweet n sour sauce?
Lemon chicken with sweeet sauce etc...

Its the same. Except this is them making the food catered towards Indian taste.

Its popular with South Asian communities. They have a lot of them in India.

This is not LITERALLY hakka food... hakka food is just like regional chinese dishes. steamed, stir fried, flavoured like han chinese dishes. But with their own regional tAke.
Like braised pork belly and rice... thats hakka. But could be mistAken for other han Chinese meals.
I’m chinese-vietnamese... and my mom makes a braised porkbelly preserved vegetable dish that looks exactly like a traditional hakka one.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5356 posts
2367 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Chinese food is the most popular ethnic food in India, hence these restaurants pop up where there's a large-enough Indian population to support it. Vancouver (more likely Surrey) has a few of these places, but surprisingly not too many.

Never seen (or rather noticed) a Hakka restaurant outside of Malaysia, and maybe Hong Kong decades ago. Cuisine of my forebears.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8631 posts
2554 upvotes
Mississauga
Rexdale area has quite a bit of Indian hakka restos. I prefer Chinese hakka food over Indian hakka food.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Dec 8, 2015
284 posts
140 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
They are all over Scarb. and the food is awesome.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
44154 posts
7245 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
It reminds me of CanadianiZe chinese food except they replaced sweet with spice.

Chicken balls with sweet and sour sauce = chicken pakora with chili sauce (only slightly sweet).

Fried rice with crispy wings = hakka style briyani with crispy wings with chili sauce
(Forgot the exact name... but it was just cantonese fried rice with spicy seasoning pretty much).

Chicken Manchurian. Now thats kinda indian’ish curry style because its super saucy. Mix it into rice like a curry.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5356 posts
2367 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
The only thing my mother craved for is Soya(?)-braised fatty pork. Is there a Indian Hakka equivalent? Not familiar with what authentic Hakka fare is otherwise.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4677 posts
4190 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: It reminds me of CanadianiZe chinese food except they replaced sweet with spice.
Chicken balls with sweet and sour sauce = chicken pakora with chili sauce (only slightly sweet).
Yeah, let's call "hakka" what it is... The faux "Indian" iteration of Bourbon St. Grill/Cajun Cafe and Caribbean Queen...
Reminder #1: Kraρrig cannot properly brew coffee. Get a Nespresso or a French press. You can thank me later.
Reminder #2: The burger chain with the Big Mac is McDonald's, not MacDonald's. Get it right.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
44154 posts
7245 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: Yeah, let's call "hakka" what it is... The faux "Indian" iteration of Bourbon St. Grill/Cajun Cafe and Caribbean Queen...
my gawd you are like the anti-playnice. Like playnice's missing long lost similar yet opposite evil twin brother.

except your ayce is 5 guys burgers and firehouse subs...
and you substituted mty discussion with Chinese canjun food and a weird dislike of ethnic food.

O___O
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5356 posts
2367 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
UrbanPoet wrote: my gawd you are like the anti-playnice. Like playnice's missing long lost similar yet opposite evil twin brother.

except your ayce is 5 guys burgers and firehouse subs...
and you substituted mty discussion with Chinese canjun food and a weird dislike of ethnic food.
Good. Keeps the likes of him/her away so the rest of us can get in.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
11691 posts
6604 upvotes
Markham
Guessing OP hasn't eaten Hakka Chinese food b4. Been around a long long time here in the GTA...much more so in certain areas of the city.

The older restos that I have frequented over the years include Frederick restaurant on Ellesmere, Lin Garden on Pharmacy. Not Hakka but lot of ppl have the chili chicken or Manchurian chicken at Yueh Tung on Elizabeth.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
11566 posts
2087 upvotes
Toronto
gr8dlr wrote: Guessing OP hasn't eaten Hakka Chinese food b4. Been around a long long time here in the GTA...much more so in certain areas of the city.

The older restos that I have frequented over the years include Frederick restaurant on Ellesmere, Lin Garden on Pharmacy. Not Hakka but lot of ppl have the chili chicken or Manchurian chicken at Yueh Tung on Elizabeth.
Other classics in Scarborough is Chung Moi at Kennedy and Eglinton and Lucky's at Golf Club and Lawrence. A new one opened on Midland and Lawrence. The more 'original' ones before they started expanding is the 1970s feeling decor.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5356 posts
2367 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Do Hakka restaurants advertise themselves as such? I'm surprised that the Vancouver area seems to lack them but maybe I pass them and since I am illiterate....

Only one I've been to and know for sure was a Hakka restaurant was because of the sign

Jul 15, 2009
504 posts
1077 upvotes
Toronto
Hakka people actually have a pretty unique cuisine from what I understand, and I wish we had restaurants like that here. Instead the cuisine seems to be sold more as Chinese-Indian fusion here, but that's not really what you get. What you get, from what I've seen, is typical western style Chinese fast-food (chow mein/fried rice stir-fry), with a slightly different spice blend and the occasional paneer subbed in for tofu. I'm not going to complain (I enjoy it well enough), but I don't find it too different than what you'd get at you local Chinese fast food/Manchu Wok/Panda Express.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4677 posts
4190 upvotes
anatman wrote: Hakka people actually have a pretty unique cuisine from what I understand, and I wish we had restaurants like that here. Instead the cuisine seems to be sold more as Chinese-Indian fusion here, but that's not really what you get. What you get, from what I've seen, is typical western style Chinese fast-food (chow mein/fried rice stir-fry), with a slightly different spice blend and the occasional paneer subbed in for tofu. I'm not going to complain (I enjoy it well enough), but I don't find it too different than what you'd get at you local Chinese fast food/Manchu Wok/Panda Express.
That was essentially what @UrbanPoet said and I actually agreed, seeing the parallel with the fake Cajun and fake Caribbean places at the mall which are also junk Chinese just with a different spice mix on top.

Cajun people and definitely Caribbean people have their own unique cuisines but, just like "Hakka", it's been stolen and ruined by Chinese to be sold at food courts so they can sell the same crap across 4 booths rather than just be limited to 1.
Reminder #1: Kraρrig cannot properly brew coffee. Get a Nespresso or a French press. You can thank me later.
Reminder #2: The burger chain with the Big Mac is McDonald's, not MacDonald's. Get it right.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5356 posts
2367 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Hakka is Chinese.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
8522 posts
1399 upvotes
Vancouver
thriftshopper wrote: Chinese food is the most popular ethnic food in India, hence these restaurants pop up where there's a large-enough Indian population to support it. Vancouver (more likely Surrey) has a few of these places, but surprisingly not too many.

Never seen (or rather noticed) a Hakka restaurant outside of Malaysia, and maybe Hong Kong decades ago. Cuisine of my forebears.
One of the big surprises when I moved here I can’t find any hakkah downtown

Chilli pepper house is my favourite.
Green lettuce is ok
Autocorrect sucks