Computers & Electronics

What do you think the least expensive RDNA2 will cost?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 15th, 2020 9:55 pm
[OP]
Dec 29, 2013
836 posts
500 upvotes
Montr

What do you think the least expensive RDNA2 will cost?

I don’t think there will be an affordable Ampere, based on prices of the 20xx series. So what could be the most affordable next gen card?
6 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
25696 posts
3189 upvotes
Montreal
We taking bets?

MSRP 500 bux. Street price over 600$.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1965 posts
1024 upvotes
GTA
Its going to be a bad rest of the year for prices of video cards. I could see this even going on right into 2021. Before COV19 I remember seeing 5700 XT cards for $489 CAD. Now they are $600+tax (depending on make/model)

Also, Nvidia is discontinuing all 2070 and greater cards. Only thing left will be new-old stock.
NVIDIA Ends Production of GeForce RTX 20 ‘Turing’ Series As GeForce RTX 30 ‘Ampere’ Gaming Graphics Card Launch Gets Closer, Price Hike For Current High-End Cards Expected
There are also rumors floating around of users trying to get back into mining again. :facepalm:

They are still promising a September release date for gamers, but who knows how that will shift. Also Moore's Law is Dead is telling everyone to ditch their 2080Ti cards before RDNA 2 and Ampre kill it. It's crazy to have seen so many builds of people holding onto 970 cards on their new builds, or buying up RX 580 RX 590 cards when they would come up on sale for $300 (RX 590) just to have a GPU to hold them over. Unless you have money to burn I notice a lot of people holding back when it comes to GPU's.

Sell your RTX 2080 Ti before RDNA 2 & Ampere kill it in September
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2549 posts
1807 upvotes
Markham
heyyahblah wrote: They are still promising a September release date for gamers, but who knows how that will shift. Also Moore's Law is Dead is telling everyone to ditch their 2080Ti cards before RDNA 2 and Ampre kill it. It's crazy to have seen so many builds of people holding onto 970 cards on their new builds, or buying up RX 580 RX 590 cards when they would come up on sale for $300 (RX 590) just to have a GPU to hold them over. Unless you have money to burn I notice a lot of people holding back when it comes to GPU's.
I would be one of those except I'm holding onto a 780Ti, I missed out on the 1080Ti which was definitely worth purchasing. The RTX Turing cards however left a horrible taste in my mouth, I despised the pricing. Sadly it seems not enough people had the same reaction because I don't think Turing was a failure for Nvidia meaning this pricing strategy likely worked. I tried to get a $400 5700XT last year...sadly somebody scammed Amazon and it was actually a Vega 56...which is better than my 780Ti but not worth $400. So I'm likely going to be buying into the new generation, but I'm very pessimistic with regards to the pricing. I fully expect Nvidia to still be in rip everybody off mode, and I'm not expecting AMD to return pricing to previous normals rather I only expect them to undercut Nvidia mildly even more so if RDNA2 ends up better than Ampere.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2007
1170 posts
840 upvotes
Portage la Prairie
My build which is waiting for some parts includes a 2070s black gaming, the cheapest one paid $709. Depending on how long till they get cpus back in stock at MemEx, maybe the new cards will be out. I guess the thing is what could I get for $700 from the new cards?
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1965 posts
1024 upvotes
GTA
kwk1 wrote: My build which is waiting for some parts includes a 2070s black gaming, the cheapest one paid $709. Depending on how long till they get cpus back in stock at MemEx, maybe the new cards will be out. I guess the thing is what could I get for $700 from the new cards?
With this unstable market, shortages, poor dollar exchange, COV19 and all the other B.S. going on ... who only knows. I would expect a 3070 card for $700 all in (incl taxes) hopefully even less than that. It's coming up on 2 years since the 2080 and 2080Ti series cards were dropped and used 1080Ti's were going for around $700 max $750 depending where you looked. I talked down someone to $670 and that was end of August 2018. Now because of the shortages the prices have gone up again, some as far as asking $800+ for almost a 4 year old used card. If I tried to sell mine now I would probably be up $100 or so, lol. It's really a depressing time for GPUs.
[OP]
Dec 29, 2013
836 posts
500 upvotes
Montr
I don’t need the powerful cards like xx70/80, because I don’t play games too much. However, I remember back several generations ago, whenever a new architecture comes out, there were always some lower end cards such as RX 550/560 or gtx 1060 which are relatively affordable