Tags:
None
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
6680 posts
6578 upvotes
Richmond Hill
My rule of thumb has always been to get the best single card solution you can afford
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5781 posts
5284 upvotes
aeba7 wrote: My rule of thumb has always been to get the best single card solution you can afford
Okay, say I go for a single 980 instead. Is the rest of my build overkill for the card?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
6680 posts
6578 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Overkill is a relative term; it entirely depends on what you want to do and achieve with this machine.
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2012
3409 posts
1070 upvotes
Unless you are doing 4k video editing and gaming on the highest possible settings, I'd say your build is overkill.

Also, most people unanimously say the i5-6600k is the better CPU for gaming if that's what you're going for. The i7 is for heavy multitasking.

My build that I just bought was only $1000 AFTER tax compared to yours which will be $2400, and in mine I have an i5 6000k, 16 GB RAM, 250 GB SSD, and a 750W PSU. I already had a case, fans, HDD, optical drive. Don't need wifi. I'm waiting until the AMD 480 card comes out to see if its a good price, but hoping overall my build is about $1000 total with that GPU after tax.

I think your PSU, motherboard, CPU, RAM, case, wireless card, and OS are completely overkill. The RAM alone was only 135 on newegg last week as a combo... and I was gonna go for it but I think 32 won't really be necessary for years and by then it'll be much cheaper and if you get an expensive mobo it should have 4 RAM slots... the PSU, I've researched and gold+ barely gives any energy savings over bronze. I doubt you need a 200 dollar mobo, I found some decent ones for 110. Already talked about the CPU. Not sure what's in that case that makes it worth 180 bucks, that's crazy if you ask me. Wireless card should be completely unnecessary with a desktop PC. You should plan for ethernet. And you can get Windows 7 much cheaper and just upgrade to 10 with that. I don't think you should be spending more than 1500 and if you are you must as well splurge on a 1070 card minimum. But hey if you've got money to burn then screw it.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5781 posts
5284 upvotes
VanceMendoza wrote: Unless you are doing 4k video editing and gaming on the highest possible settings, I'd say your build is overkill.

Also, most people unanimously say the i5-6600k is the better CPU for gaming if that's what you're going for. The i7 is for heavy multitasking.

My build that I just bought was only $1000 AFTER tax compared to yours which will be $2400, and in mine I have an i5 6000k, 16 GB RAM, 250 GB SSD, and a 750W PSU. I already had a case, fans, HDD, optical drive. Don't need wifi. I'm waiting until the AMD 480 card comes out to see if its a good price, but hoping overall my build is about $1000 total with that GPU after tax.

I think your PSU, motherboard, CPU, RAM, case, wireless card, and OS are completely overkill. The RAM alone was only 135 on newegg last week as a combo... and I was gonna go for it but I think 32 won't really be necessary for years and by then it'll be much cheaper and if you get an expensive mobo it should have 4 RAM slots... the PSU, I've researched and gold+ barely gives any energy savings over bronze. I doubt you need a 200 dollar mobo, I found some decent ones for 110. Already talked about the CPU. Not sure what's in that case that makes it worth 180 bucks, that's crazy if you ask me. Wireless card should be completely unnecessary with a desktop PC. You should plan for ethernet. And you can get Windows 7 much cheaper and just upgrade to 10 with that. I don't think you should be spending more than 1500 and if you are you must as well splurge on a 1070 card minimum. But hey if you've got money to burn then screw it.
Re-did my build based on some of your suggestions. What do you think now? How did you get your build under $1K?

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/RhhtJV
Deal Addict
May 6, 2012
3409 posts
1070 upvotes
superfresh89 wrote: Re-did my build based on some of your suggestions. What do you think now? How did you get your build under $1K?

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/RhhtJV
My SSD was 95 last black friday. You can still get them for like 110 though. Not sure if yours is a higher grade SSD or something? Mine is a Samsung 850 EVO as well.

My motherboard was only 55 bucks. Very budget mobo. I don't need something upper end though. Most people I know spend 100-150 so I think yours is reasonable.

Actually... the mobo I got is 30 bucks now. I'm pissed! Nooooo!!! http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 1465065102 - Great deal if you want a cheap mobo!

Like I said, I had a lot of the stuff you already have. Case+fans+DVD drive = almost a 200 dollar difference between your build and mine. You could get a cheap shitty case if you wanted but might as well spluge if you want a case with more fan options and stuff.

My i5 was only 285 bucks.

RAM was 75.

PSU was about 80. It was a Rosewill. It has good reviews. http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 1465065102

I got a $10 combo discount on RAM+mobo with Newegg. They have combo deals on a lot of stuff.

Biggest difference is in OS. You can get Windows 7 much cheaper on ebay and stuff.
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10378 posts
740 upvotes
Toronto
Save yourself $100 and get Windows 10 license from Reddit Microsoft Software Swap.
Dec 25, 2010
725 posts
89 upvotes
Toronto
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/ndbKZ8

I'd personally get a SSD on sale instead of paying retail and save $40-50. Maybe a cheaper case than the one Corsair like the NZXT S340 (but corsair has more option for coolers). Buy a cheap windows key off reddit and upgrade to windows 10 for free and reformat the drive and bam. With the right purchases you can shave probably $150 from this final price.

Guestimation with savings you can get a better build by not buying useless fans and thermal paste that don't really add much value. I've tried it before and did the cost analysis, adding fans basically cost me $20/1-2 Celsius cooler Temps for the gpu. Lol. Not worth it. Thermal paste will probably be better for cost/cooling but end of day it doesn't really amount to significant drops in Temps. I'd recommend with the savings buy a better air cooler or AIO water cooler and call it a day.
Selling cheap textbooks & books. Price is negotiable!