What do you think of Nexen tires?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 26th, 2012 2:21 pm
Nov 24, 2004
133 posts
2 upvotes
Prince George, BC

What do you think of Nexen tires?

I have a new Kia Rondo EX Premium 7-Seater (which is just great, BTW), and I'm looking to put some winter tires on it.

Replacement tires are expensive! My husband says that Wal-Mart is selling a Nexen Winguard 231 tire for $76 plus $16 for studding, which is about $200 less a wheel than Kal Tire quoted him for tires. Apparently (?), the manufacturer is Korean, they're huge sellers in Europe and Asia, but quite new to North America.

Price is important, but our kids ride in this car - and we live in Northern BC, so there is snow.

Kia's website says it takes these tires "P205/60 R16" (hi, my name is Sarah, I'm not a car person, OK?)

What do you think? What would you buy?

Thanks for any tips!
93 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2004
3070 posts
53 upvotes
[QUOTE]P205/60 R16[/QUOTE]

That's the size of the tire. Go to your car right now and read the number written on the sidewall of your current tires. That is the size you want for your new ones as well. You may also look into buying an extra set of factory steel wheels to mount your winter tires on, so in the future, you can just change the wheels over and save money on mounting, or mount them yourself with the tools that came with your car.

Nexen tires are fine for your purposes. There are better gripping ones on the market, but as long as you don't drive like a nutter, Nexens are more than enough.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21167 upvotes
Toronto
Michelin X-Ice is a much better tire .. IMO

Usually, there is some kind of rebate around Nov time. Maybe wait until then !
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2004
3930 posts
690 upvotes
Toronto
booblehead wrote: Michelin X-Ice is a much better tire .. IMO

Usually, there is some kind of rebate around Nov time. Maybe wait until then !
How would X-Ice be better than a set of studded snow tires? :confused:

To the OP, I've been driving on the Nexen N3000 summer tires, they seems to be pretty good quality so far considering the price of them.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2003
15213 posts
1671 upvotes
Markham
i remember reading somewhere studded tires are illegal here
ShadowVlican
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
21786 posts
4903 upvotes
Toronto
Studded tires are actually somewhat detrimental if you're driving on anything but ice, as your tires won't have as much rubber in contact with the road as you would have with normal winters, and you'll be at least partially riding on metal studs which don't grip as well. Winter tire compounds have advanced to the point where they'll grip similarly to studs on ice, but perform much much better in all other conditions. Studs also rely on the ice to provide grip, because they dig into it. If the ice breaks because it's warm or due to all the holes being punched in it, the studs lose much of their effectiveness.

Go out and actually look at your car and give us the number on the tire sidewall, don't go by the website. Both Costco and 1010tires have different sizes for your vehicle listed on their sites.
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2008
2042 posts
696 upvotes
Ottawa
I am interested to know how does this tire performs on black ICE for highway driving?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9294 posts
415 upvotes
thephenom wrote: How would X-Ice be better than a set of studded snow tires? :confused:

To the OP, I've been driving on the Nexen N3000 summer tires, they seems to be pretty good quality so far considering the price of them.
Because they're studded, doesn't automatically mean that they're better tires... I believe Tirerack had a comparo with a set of Winterforce studded tires that performed poorly

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/cha ... sp?ttid=24

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/tes ... sp?ttid=94
Jan 15, 2006
470 posts
101 upvotes
I have these tires, they're fine on snow... sucks on dry road and very noisy. i ran a pothole last year and damaged my rear tire, went to walmart and they replaced it with a new one for free. they didn't even asked how it got damaged.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2005
1772 posts
484 upvotes
Montreal
they are ok tires for the price, but only if you drive normal and that you have a normal car.

For sport car with thin sidewall, or someone that speed. These are not good.

also, beware of potholes, these cheap tires tend to create bump on the tire whenever you hit something hard. But like previous poster said, it has warranty and walmart will replace it.
Dec 24, 2006
783 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
If you can afford a brand new car but can't afford $1000 for decent winter tires and rims, then thats not right IMO.

Stay with your all season tires if your going to find the cheapest winter tires in the world.

Spend the money and get something decent or stay with your stock tires and thats my opinion.

Nexens are poo tires and are only for people who can't afford the real/safe/reliable tires.
Hi
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
1125 posts
257 upvotes
Calgary
^ the worst snow tire is better than the best all-season tire
Apr 8, 2006
276 posts
Canada's capital
I put Nexen 7000 summer tires (205/40) on 17 inch rims on my KIA and think they are great. Plan on putting Nexen winters on from Walmart in the next few weeks.
Apr 8, 2006
276 posts
Canada's capital
CF77 wrote: I am interested to know how does this tire performs on black ICE for highway driving?
Better than an all-season tire, that's for sure ;)
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
Piro21 wrote:
Go out and actually look at your car and give us the number on the tire sidewall, don't go by the website. Both Costco and 1010tires have different sizes for your vehicle listed on their sites.
Did you take the time to read the posts....especially where the tire size was mentioned? "P205/60 R16"
cereal83 wrote: If you can afford a brand new car but can't afford $1000 for decent winter tires and rims, then thats not right IMO.

Stay with your all season tires if your going to find the cheapest winter tires in the world.

Spend the money and get something decent or stay with your stock tires and thats my opinion.

Nexens are poo tires and are only for people who can't afford the real/safe/reliable tires.
Such a generic, no basis, uninformed statement in both cases.
The OP's financial status or reasons for a new car are their reasons, you cannot say what they should do with $1000
Your statement about Nexen tires has no validity. They are sold worldwide and have an extremely good reputation for their performance tires in dozens of Countries, their winter tires would perform equally as well. Give some facts attesting to your statement that the tire are "poo" (a mature expression of quality I presume?)
Dec 18, 2006
840 posts
110 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I've had nexen summer rubber on for the last couple years and they're fine. I did damage one by going over a pothole as a previous poster mentioned but for the price, I'm definitely happy. You could almost buy two Nexens for the price of one big brand-name tire.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
21786 posts
4903 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote: Did you take the time to read the posts....especially where the tire size was mentioned? "P205/60 R16"
Yes, I took the time to read her posts, and by doing so I caught this:
Hollasa wrote: Kia's website says it takes these tires "P205/60 R16" (hi, my name is Sarah, I'm not a car person, OK?)
Two other fairly trusted websites give differing sizes for her vehicle's tires, and the only way to be sure of the proper size would be to actually go out and look at the vehicle, don't you agree?
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
2619 posts
273 upvotes
try to buy your tires in the USA. but brokerage and shipping will likely kill the deal. discount tire direct ships to canada now. wait for the coupons. walmart is not going to sell crappy tires. tires are mostly the same as far as quality but you want the tire that serves your driving needs . different brands for different levels of social status.
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17811 posts
5762 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
I liked my NEXENS as well. They rode very well and thread was aggressive as well. Much better than typical tire in the same price range.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
Piro21 wrote: Yes, I took the time to read her posts, and by doing so I caught this:

Two other fairly trusted websites give differing sizes for her vehicle's tires, and the only way to be sure of the proper size would be to actually go out and look at the vehicle, don't you agree?
Lemme see P205/60R16 and P205/60 R16 are the same, regardless where the slash and spaces are. Fairly trusted by ?
mtseymourguy wrote: try to buy your tires in the USA. but brokerage and shipping will likely kill the deal. discount tire direct ships to canada now. wait for the coupons. walmart is not going to sell crappy tires. tires are mostly the same as far as quality but you want the tire that serves your driving needs . different brands for different levels of social status.
The other thing that is not mentioned when buying tires from the US is the tire warranty, free flat repairs, tire rotations at interval oh and, if you just buy tires, there is amounting and balancing charge etc. While you may get a better price all those things may make the deal seem not so good.