• Oct 11th, 2017 11:39 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8368 posts
728 upvotes
Scarborough

What do you think the small Gas Station like Pioneer and XTR

There are a couple of these stations around my area, their price is always around 5 cents cheaper, what do you think their gas? Trust them? There is one called "Canadian Petro", I don't know and will not try it.
13 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1969 posts
495 upvotes
m4r 1k8
Menace wrote: There are a couple of these stations around my area, their price is always around 5 cents cheaper, what do you think their gas? Trust them? There is one called "Canadian Petro", I don't know and will not try it.
im sure they have teh same gas as other major brands but dont have all the additives such as engine detergents etc ...

personally my gf went to husky and used their stations and noticed a significant drop in mileage where usually $50 would last her 1.5 weeks ... it lasted her 3 days lolloloololl sooo could contain more then 10% ethanol and stuff like that
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36250 posts
10436 upvotes
Ottawa
ed116 is pretty well on point. The independent stations buy gas from the same refineries and may or may not get the same gas as the regular stations. Depends on what is on the truck. Sometimes they have contracts with refineries. You can ask them who they get the gas from.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
2176 posts
1456 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
ed116 wrote: im sure they have teh same gas as other major brands but dont have all the additives such as engine detergents etc ...

personally my gf went to husky and used their stations and noticed a significant drop in mileage where usually $50 would last her 1.5 weeks ... it lasted her 3 days lolloloololl sooo could contain more then 10% ethanol and stuff like that
Those additives don't improve mileage, they just clean your engine. I don't understand how you could get different mileage, probably some other factor accounted for that.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2016
1066 posts
1579 upvotes
scarborough
I get lower mileage when i fill up at Costco. However from what i have read the gas mets all standards
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1969 posts
495 upvotes
m4r 1k8
BeapChastard wrote: Those additives don't improve mileage, they just clean your engine. I don't understand how you could get different mileage, probably some other factor accounted for that.
higher ethanol content means gas burns quicker thus affecting mpg :)

usually gas stations have up to 10% ethanol but husky could have had more during that batch ...
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8368 posts
728 upvotes
Scarborough
XTR gets the gas from Sunoco, not sure about Pioneer. I do get gas from Costco when the tank is very low, not worth to top it up when wait in a long line.
Feb 8, 2010
500 posts
414 upvotes
I get lower mileage when i fill up at Pioneer. However Costco gas at Hamilton is okay.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4945 posts
6333 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ed116 wrote: higher ethanol content means gas burns quicker thus affecting mpg :)

usually gas stations have up to 10% ethanol but husky could have had more during that batch ...
No question ethanol makes a difference, but your original post said it qas a difference 3 days vs. 1.5 weeks(10 days), hardly believable to be due to gas alone.
Deal Guru
Oct 7, 2010
10243 posts
2006 upvotes
Best to rotate different brands. Save bit of money.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8368 posts
728 upvotes
Scarborough
I agree 100%, Costco, Pioneer and Petro Can. I did try XTR today with full service.
spike1128 wrote: Best to rotate different brands. Save bit of money.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2901 posts
1203 upvotes
GTA
ed116 wrote: higher ethanol content means gas burns quicker thus affecting mpg :)

That's not what higher ethanol content does.
Ethanol contains less energy per volume than gasoline, but at a higher octane rating and burning cooler than gasoline, so it's a great way to raise the octane of what comes out of the pumps.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36250 posts
10436 upvotes
Ottawa
Viperoni wrote: That's not what higher ethanol content does.
Ethanol contains less energy per volume than gasoline, but at a higher octane rating and burning cooler than gasoline, so it's a great way to raise the octane of what comes out of the pumps.
Yes it raises the octane but, that is so refiners can use a cheaper, lower grade cut to send to the customer....add ethanol and bump the octane. The mileages does suffer a as result.
This is why premium without ethanol gets such better mileage.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2901 posts
1203 upvotes
GTA
Pete_Coach wrote: Yes it raises the octane but, that is so refiners can use a cheaper, lower grade cut to send to the customer....add ethanol and bump the octane. The mileages does suffer a as result.
This is why premium without ethanol gets such better mileage.
Yes, Ethanol contains less energy per volume (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_ ... equivalent) and it's stoichiometric is much richer than gasoline (http://www.ultra-gauge.com/customer_sup ... article=29), but the average E10 blend we see everywhere, except for Shell 91 octane which is usually ethanol free, contains about 2% less energy than 100% pure gasoline.
Even if the net fuel mileage difference ends up being around 5%, that's only 25km on 500km... barely noticeable.

I personally have never noticed a difference between Shell 91 ethanol free and any other E10 blend, even Esso's 93 and Petro 94 - my car REQUIRES 91 octane too.