Travel

What do you think of a trip from St. John's, NL > Halifax > Moncton > Charlottetown?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 5th, 2009 4:16 am
[OP]
Mar 4, 2002
224 posts
8 upvotes
Courtenay

What do you think of a trip from St. John's, NL > Halifax > Moncton > Charlottetown?

Hi,

I am currently living on Vancouver Island and am planning a 12-day trip to Atlantic Canada from August 28 to September 12.

What are your comments and suggestions for my proposed itinerary?

1. Fly from Comox, BC to St. John's NL

2. Explore St. John's and surrounding areas

3. Travel to Halifax

4. Explore Halifax and surrounding areas

5. Travel to Moncton

6. Explore Moncton and surrounding areas

7. Explore Charlottetown and PEI

8. Return to Moncton and fly from Moncton back to BC

Here are some of my wishes and preferences for this trip:

a. I really wanted to visit Newfoundland and Labrador, so this is why my first stop will be St. John's.

b. As I visited Moncton about 8 years ago in the French immersion program, I would love to return to this city and revisit some of the places.

c. I would like to explore each city for about 2 - 3 days.

d. I would prefer to stay at hostels and B&Bs, and I generally like to take the train, although if I have to, I would take a bus or rent a car.

e. I like to hike, visit museums, downtowns and interesting neighbourhoods.

My questions are:

- Will this itinerary be too rushed?

- What are some of the towns or places in between these cities that I should explore (e.g., Peggy's Cove, etc.)

- What will be some of the best transportation modes to take between the different destinations?

- Are there any festivals or events that you would recommend during my visiting period?

Any insights you could provide will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.
- Brian
1 reply
May 27, 2007
16047 posts
4506 upvotes
Toronto
bchow wrote: Hi,

I am currently living on Vancouver Island and am planning a 12-day trip to Atlantic Canada from August 28 to September 12.

What are your comments and suggestions for my proposed itinerary?

1. Fly from Comox, BC to St. John's NL

2. Explore St. John's and surrounding areas

3. Travel to Halifax

4. Explore Halifax and surrounding areas

5. Travel to Charlottetown & PEI and stay for a night (or two)

6. Travel to Moncton

7. Explore Moncton and surrounding areas

8. fly from Moncton back to BC

Here are some of my wishes and preferences for this trip:

a. I really wanted to visit Newfoundland and Labrador, so this is why my first stop will be St. John's.

b. As I visited Moncton about 8 years ago in the French immersion program, I would love to return to this city and revisit some of the places.

c. I would like to explore each city for about 2 - 3 days.

d. I would prefer to stay at hostels and B&Bs, and I generally like to take the train, although if I have to, I would take a bus or rent a car.

e. I like to hike, visit museums, downtowns and interesting neighbourhoods.

My questions are:

- Will this itinerary be too rushed?

- What are some of the towns or places in between these cities that I should explore (e.g., Peggy's Cove, etc.)

- What will be some of the best transportation modes to take between the different destinations?

- Are there any festivals or events that you would recommend during my visiting period?

Any insights you could provide will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

i think it would make more sense if you went to PEI after visiting Halifax then head to Moncton to explore and fly from there. :)

i've been to the east coast years ago with a tour group, you might want to go get some info at your local tour operators to see the sort of tourist attractions they will visit in an Atlantic Canada tour. That will give you some good ideas.

As for Halifax, take a boat tour to see whales? try McLobster @ McDonalds? walk up to that battle ground on top of Halifax (forgot the name) which would give you a great of the city and harbour...
for PEI, visit the Anne of Green Gables place? travel along that long bridge?

in terms of transportation, rent a car to drive around and then return it in Moncton?

i think 12 days is enough. the tour i went on was like 8 days minus 2-3 days of driving and skipping Newfoundland.
RedFlagDeals.com
See an inappropriate post? Use the "Report Post" function to alert Moderators!