Shopping Discussion

What do you think will be the next Big Box to go under will be?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 13th, 2020 2:13 pm
Banned
Nov 21, 2009
2465 posts
1042 upvotes
Best Buy wont die for a while... they may shift their entire structure though.

Staples could potentially die as retail stores but their corporate accounts won't let them die. (they'll basically pull a Grand and Toy)

Mr. Sub won't die since each store is owned individually and operated independently.
Feb 11, 2007
747 posts
251 upvotes
astrolad wrote: I vote Hudson's Bay
The stores seem to be abandoned and the prices are ridiculous.
My son bought a bomber jacket from Hudson's Bay for $100. He had found a nicer bomber jacket for <$30 on alibabba but wasn't willing to wait for shipping
They are going to be around for a long time. They keep expanding. They just bought a retailer in the Netherlands. They bought Gilt. They have lots of assets.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
20848 posts
19102 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Astonished FaceLike some others, my money is on Staples.

There once big box vibrant stores now are so empty it's startling !!!

Think most folks now buy their tech & supplies elsewhere.

Our most recent items came direct from the Manufacturer (Apple, HP etc). And the majority of our office supplies (Printer Ink, Pens, Scotch Tape, Envelopes etc) from Costco or the Dollar Store. Only thing we buy at Staples these days is Printer Paper by the box cause they still have the lowest prices at around $ 30 or occasionally just belw that mark on sale.

Agree with @ConsoleWatcher (Reply # 43), I see them following the Grand & Toy model and closing up their stores, and keeping their on-line & phone ops for their many small, medium & large business clients (still a large part of their biz) and also fairly convenient for everyone else who shops there.

MIGHT also shutter their big box stores and keep a smaller print & copy / Courier drop off / Staples pick up centre in their established communities as a presence... Cause there is ALWAYS a crowd using / waiting in every of their copy centres
Last edited by PointsHubby on Oct 12th, 2017 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4376 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: MIGHT also shutter their big box stores and keep a smaller print & copy / Courier drop off / Staples pick up centre in their established communities as a presence... Cause there is ALWAYS a crowd using / waiting in every of their copy centres
Yes, it's worth noting Staples did win the battle for that market (the print and copy part). FedEx Kinko's left Canada earlier this year...
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4376 upvotes
flash67 wrote: Mr. Sub won't die since each store is owned individually and operated independently.
They'll die the way Licks and Friendly Greek did.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
20848 posts
19102 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Other thoughts...

Metro - Sobeys - Chapters ... All doing EXCELLENT here in Eastern Ontario & West Quebec
Rona (aka Lowes-too) ... Will someday fold into their new parents home... But not sure when, for now creates one more store to price shop.
TJ Maxx Group (Winners - Home Sense - Marshall's) ... Also in fine shape / loyal customer base
Best Buy - Second Cup ... Good for now
Moores ... Hard to say.  Have strong ties tho to a well establish men's clothing group in the USA
Home Outfitters & The Bay... Having issues.  HO especially since Bed Bath & Beyond has spread far & wide
The Source ... Ya serious issues.  Still tho fills a gap of where to "get a certain cable NOW" (albeit crazy over priced)

Arby's ... Died once, cause it was dog meat on a bun.  Needs to be gone again already (cannot believe a few of them are still out there)
Krispy Kreme ... Sorry I don't get the hype.  Not that great a donut IMO.  Expansion failed.  Just a matter of time.

Highend stores... Nordtroms - Harry Rosen - Holt Renfrew - Pottery Barn - Williams Sonoma - Restoration Hardware etc
For the average Cdn they are indeed priced out of reach.  But they have a clientele niche in Montreal - Toronto - Vancouver and some others countrywide

Would like to see them EXPAND their Cdn On-line presence so other Cdns who want to could shop them at an instore price ... Vs going in person to a big city store
(as a couple that cooks as a hobby, we love Williams Sonoma, but shopping online with them is BEYOND EXPENSIVE... It's GRAND LARCENY. Bad on the US .com website and worse on the Cdn .ca one)
Banned
Jan 27, 2014
5574 posts
2574 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: Other thoughts...

Metro - Sobeys - Chapters ... All doing EXCELLENT here in Eastern Ontario & West Quebec
Rona (aka Lowes-too) ... Will someday fold into their new parents home... But not sure when, for now creates one more store to price shop.
TJ Maxx Group (Winners - Home Sense - Marshall's) ... Also in fine shape / loyal customer base
Best Buy - Second Cup ... Good for now
Moores ... Hard to say.  Have strong ties tho to a well establish men's clothing group in the USA
Home Outfitters & The Bay... Having issues.  HO especially since Bed Bath & Beyond has spread far & wide
The Source ... Ya serious issues.  Still tho fills a gap of where to "get a certain cable NOW" (albeit crazy over priced)

Arby's ... Died once, cause it was dog meat on a bun.  Needs to be gone again already (cannot believe a few of them are still out there)
Krispy Kreme ... Sorry I don't get the hype.  Not that great a donut IMO.  Expansion failed.  Just a matter of time.

Highend stores... Nordtroms - Harry Rosen - Holt Renfrew - Pottery Barn - Williams Sonoma - Restoration Hardware etc
For the average Cdn they are indeed priced out of reach.  But they have a clientele niche in Montreal - Toronto - Vancouver and some others countrywide

Would like to see them EXPAND their Cdn On-line presence so other Cdns who want to could shop them at an instore price ... Vs going in person to a big city store
(as a couple that cooks as a hobby, we love Williams Sonoma, but shopping online with them is BEYOND EXPENSIVE... It's GRAND LARCENY. Bad on the US .com website and worse on the Cdn .ca one)
I cannot believe you do not like Krispy Kreme donuts. Have you tried them when they are freshly made and hot in store? They melt in your mouth. The Mississauga location is doing great. Often see large lineups on every weekend as people shop around Heartland.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4334 posts
931 upvotes
Richmond
trellaine201 wrote: Yeah some US company bought them out. I would say you will see at less brick and mortor stores for sure.
staples merged with office Depot and grand and toy/office max
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
20848 posts
19102 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
ar2020 wrote: I cannot believe you do not like Krispy Kreme donuts. Have you tried them when they are freshly made and hot in store? They melt in your mouth. The Mississauga location is doing great. Often see large lineups on every weekend as people shop around Heartland.
No stores in Eastern Ontario, they were all closed after KK's first failed entry attempt into the Cdn market (2011 ?). Once in awhile see them sold places as boxed donuts... Yuck !

Once had them somewhat hot in the USA... Was not that impressed either.

C'est la vie. Would not drive for them for sure. Tim Horton's might not be spectacular, but they are certainly tasty (more so than Dunkin Donuts in the USA) and well Tim's is beyond convenient being on every frickin corner these days.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4376 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: Other thoughts...
Excellent summary of all the chains we've been calling an end to, and I agree with most of them. A few comments from me:

Moores is owned by Men's Wearhouse in the USA which is a powerhouse. (did anybody predict Moore's failing?)
https://www.mooresclothing.com/mor/comp ... cale=en_CA

How do you think Second Cup will bounce back? Starbucks is killing them. You forgot about this?
https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/report ... e34967748/

The Source ... Ya serious issues. Still tho fills a gap of where to "get a certain cable NOW" -- isn't that also what Best Buy is good for?

Krispy Kreme ... Sorry I don't get the hype. Not that great a donut IMO. -- you can't look at me with a straight face and tell me that frozen then defrosted garbage Tim Horton's serves is better. Come on.

As for the high end stores, do you think there's room in the market for yet another one? I question the viability of Nordstrom's because they are walking into the usual trap set by the incumbents; can they siphon off enough business away from Holt Renfrew, Sak's Fifth Avenue, and Harry Rosen? Just the high-end equivalent of Target trying to walk into Walmart's turf, or Sam's Club walking into Costco turf. And we know how those turned out.
(then again Starbucks walked into Second Cup's turf and the opposite happened...)
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2015
3253 posts
2898 upvotes
Toronto
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: I guarantee it won't be Best Buy. I know some of you on this board have been waiting (and predicting nonstop) for 10 years for that liquidation sale that may never come. Maybe the weak links like 2001 or The Source, but definitely not BB.

Michaels is strong on both sides of the border; Hobby Lobby won't bury them in the USA unless they 1-expand faster 2-open on Sunday. And who's their competition in Canada? DeSerres? Curry's? Fabricland? Michaels whups all of them. Wouldn't surprise me to see Michaels close underperforming stores in Ontario when the minimum wage jumps to $15/hour. But the chain won't go away anytime soon.

Winners doesn't die unless parent TJ Maxx in America goes. And I just can't see that happening.

Indigo/Chapters definitely is a weak link, have been the moment Amazon expanded to Canada.

If you wanted to bet money on a chain to go away, Rona would be a good choice. Lowe's owns it now and I just can't see Lowe's continuing to run separate banners (of nearly identical stores) often in the same cities. Could say the same about La Senza (now that it's owned by Victoria's Secret).

JYSK and Structube -- overpriced Chinese crap (not that IKEA is much better...) They can both go.

Henry's/Vistek -- this country isn't big nor rich enough for 2 high-end camera dealers. Pro photographers order from B&H and Adorama and not these jokers. One of them's gotta go. I'll bet on Henry's.

Nordstrom -- Canada is not kind to "new players" when there's already a well-entrenched incumbent. See also: Target, Krispy Kreme, Sam's Club, Sports Authority... Why else would Hudson Bay bring Saks north?

I would love to see the demise of Leons/The Brick, Canadian Tire, Value Village (the scummiest retailer of all), every Loblaws banner not called "Loblaws", and any remnants of the Isaac Benitez empire (Labels, Designer Depot...) A man can dream....
Great...lets dream for all retailers to fail to make Canada Not Great Again!
To the moon
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
2406 posts
1652 upvotes
A ton of clothing stores like Club Monaco and Rudsak. Seriously, just pull the store directly for Square One. You'll find a ton of stores that are empty when you see them.

The Source - does anyone still buy ANYTHING from here other than when RFDers find loopholes?
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2016
1122 posts
1723 upvotes
scarborough
Biscayne05 wrote: A ton of clothing stores like Club Monaco and Rudsak. Seriously, just pull the store directly for Square One. You'll find a ton of stores that are empty when you see them.

The Source - does anyone still buy ANYTHING from here other than when RFDers find loopholes?
The source is backed by Bell. There main purpose to to try to sell you Bell products and services, the rest is just gravy
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
11905 posts
2876 upvotes
Durham Region
I’m gonna say SportChek. Location in the Pickering mall is closing, and my friend said the Scarborough mall one was closed as well apparently.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
2848 posts
2184 upvotes
Toronto
What about Bell and Rogers? Everyone in here hates them both especially their over price services and crappy customer service. Don't tell me you all still have services with them? Isn't everyone using a Kodi box now? Ok so you'll have your internet service with them.
Up votes, down votes, they're all votes for me! I thank you!
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4376 upvotes
XtremeModder wrote: I’m gonna say SportChek. Location in the Pickering mall is closing, and my friend said the Scarborough mall one was closed as well apparently.
SportChek will live on in other names, remember Canadian Tire owns almost all the sporting goods chains after they bought the Forzani Group. All of the following are just Crappy Tire under other names:

Sport Chek, Atmosphere (formerly known as Coast Mountain Sports), Sport Mart (all stores closed as of March 2013), National Sports, Pro Hockey Life, Athletes World (all stores closed as of March 2013), Sports Experts, Intersport, Tech Shop, RnR, Hockey Experts, Nevada Bob's Golf, The Fitness Source (all stores closed), Pegasus, S3, and Econosports.

Since they already ditched Sport Mart, Athletes World, and Fitness Source, why not cut a few more banners out of the mix.... right Loblaws?
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2008
1954 posts
444 upvotes
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: Holt Renfrew, Harry Rosen, and of course Saks Fifth Avenue.

Nordstrom is walking into the usual ambush new shooters face when they try to break into Canada. The incumbents are TOO well-entrenched and will lowball you into the ground... and once the new shooter has been eliminated, hike all their prices as a reward to the people who wouldn't give the new shooters a chance.
What? That makes no sense. Nordstrom is a high end chain (as are the others you mentioned) and they have their market which doesn't care about bargains and discounts. I occasionally shop there (e.g. for jeans) because you LITERALLY can't find stuff anywhere else. Likewise with Harry Rosen on the rare occasion I feel my wallet is too thick. The only reason they would close is because people become poor and here in Vancouver I see no danger of that happening. And Holt Renfrew? That place is as busy as Walmart.
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2005
2340 posts
1430 upvotes
Ottawa
aos007 wrote: What? That makes no sense. Nordstrom is a high end chain (as are the others you mentioned) and they have their market which doesn't care about bargains and discounts. I occasionally shop there (e.g. for jeans) because you LITERALLY can't find stuff anywhere else. Likewise with Harry Rosen on the rare occasion I feel my wallet is too thick. The only reason they would close is because people become poor and here in Vancouver I see no danger of that happening. And Holt Renfrew? That place is as busy as Walmart.
American Nordstrom investors aren’t so sanguine.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
15867 posts
10540 upvotes
Toronto
Staples or The Source.

I can't believe they aren't both already gone.