Shopping Discussion

What do you think will be the next Big Box to go under will be?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 13th, 2020 2:13 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2006
1102 posts
689 upvotes
Edmonton
bluebellrose wrote: Tell them that lol. They pay the cashiers 2.50 in hbc rewards for every store credit card they sign up and 10 000 hbc rewards ( I'm guessing it works out to a 1 dollar now since the points revamp ) for converting people from the store card to the hbc mastercard.
Source: worked for them in 07 for a short stint
Prior to them awarding HBC points for bay card sign ups they gave you a $5 gift certificate. After they switched from the $5 gift certificate to a few points, new sign ups decreased and management complained about the decrease. Getting new sign ups requires luck but decreasing the incentive doesn’t help!
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
18717 posts
5657 upvotes
Toronto
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: Similarly, Loblaws could try to open a bunch of coffee houses that look like Starbucks
Loblaws is currently in bed with Lavazza.
Select locations have a sit down area exclusively serving the Lavazza brand coffee and not their own in house brand. (as some locations may be doing, with a PC coffee and sit down area)
When you buy a cup of Lavazza coffee they give you a coupon for a dollar or two off a bag of Lavazza coffee. (also sold at the cafe section of the store)
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
18717 posts
5657 upvotes
Toronto
For those who cross border shop...
RIP Bon Ton?
"The Bon-Ton Stores missed a $14-million dollar interest payment in December and lenders had given the chain additional time to either negotiate a bankruptcy settlement or to renegotiate the debt."
Source: http://mix96buffalo.com/the-bon-ton-fil ... ankruptcy/
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2008
1674 posts
703 upvotes
GTA
Nordstorm? No... Love that store.. good mix of brands (and their sale prices are incredible!!!) Great return policy and helpful staff.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4376 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: They are only done in The States. They will continue here in Canada. They are the opposite of Sears. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling EyesWinking Face
That's why I said go to the bankruptcy sales in the US instead. Whenever I go to such sales south of the border I don't see the same blatant Hilco trickery you see done up here. That and USA regular prices are already lower than ours anyway so even taking just 25% off that makes a good deal better. While 25% off at Hilco Canada is... simply going back to MSRP :-(
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20934 posts
5352 upvotes
Poormond Hill
I give EB Games five more years max, before they close shop.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
18717 posts
5657 upvotes
Toronto
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: That's why I said go to the bankruptcy sales in the US instead. Whenever I go to such sales south of the border I don't see the same blatant Hilco trickery you see done up here. That and USA regular prices are already lower than ours anyway so even taking just 25% off that makes a good deal better. While 25% off at Hilco Canada is... simply going back to MSRP :-(
They are starting with 30%!
"The closing sales will be operated by a consortium consisting of Gordon Brothers, Hilco Merchant Resources, Tiger Capital Group and Great American Group. Store furniture and fixtures will also be available for sale."
Source: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 94767.html

These stores stared already back in early February, so discounts might be even better than the stores that are just now closing... (that is, if they have not already closed...)
https://www.toysrusinc.com/uploads/tiny ... 201.30.pdf
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
7647 posts
4562 upvotes
Mississauga
I still don't know how Hudson's Bay stays in business...
Aug 5, 2005
492 posts
243 upvotes
Burger King, worst fast food join out there
If they thumb you down I will up it just because
Deal Addict
May 31, 2008
1357 posts
946 upvotes
Toronto
Staples, the Source, Tip Top Tailors, Moores, LE CHATEAU,The Body Shop.

high mall/plaza rents + slow sales = death

I think the Bay will close some locations this year. They are stuck on a old retail model of weekly sales on inflated prices. They need to switch it up.

For alot of retailers- they are stuck with high rents- any drop in sales will be hard to swallow.
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
18619 posts
5440 upvotes
Scarberia
Staples. I’m surprised they don’t just do online only
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to [email protected] stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
35138 posts
8550 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
mikka2017 wrote: Staples. I’m surprised they don’t just do online only
They are renovating their stores and offering more a la cart services. I think they will be okay.

The plan is probably to close the smaller stores and expand the stores with more traffic
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4376 upvotes
submalst wrote: high mall/plaza rents + slow sales = death
For alot of retailers- they are stuck with high rents- any drop in sales will be hard to swallow.
If you want to see this in action check out Pickering Town Centre. Wow, they lose Sears and that just opened the floodgates. There are TWELVE stores I counted today that have "Store Closing" sales. Christmas wasn't kind to these stores and I'm wondering if they were also smacked with a rent hike that they couldn't handle. Friday evening is usually a busy night at any mall, and the place was eerily quiet. Not good.

Here's the list of stores that will soon close. If you're in the area, might be some deals to keep an eye on as the discounts gradually improve from the initial 25% that all of these are offering...

Gymboree (the whole chain is bankrupt so this isn't purely the mall's doing)
F.G. Bradley's (expensive "man cave" toys - formerly known as Dufferin Game Room)
Omar Rug Company (Persian rugs)
Think Kitchen (kitchen equipment)
Pro Image Sports (jerseys and caps)
West 49 (clothes)
Royal Home Decor (linens and bathroom accessories)
Venus Jewellers
Elegant Perfume
Clair de Lune (aromatherapy)
Mondano Shoes
Sleep and Dream (furniture)

The seasonal Calendar Club store closed much earlier than in the past; in past years it would last at least to the end of January.

I am surprised Labels isn't closing given that Designer Depot (same shitty company) took over the lower level of the former Sears.
One store that should be failing but must have enough suckers buying their overpriced crap is Lush. No closing sale there...
As we saw last month, the mall could have easily lost Miniso too!
If Hudson Bay ever closes they might as well demolish the mall and build condo towers around the new Cineplex VIP Cinemas...

EDITED TO ADD: The entire (former) Sears wing of the mall will be demolished for future redevelopment, which would explain why so many are closing rather than merely relocating elsewhere in the mall.

https://www.durhamregion.com/news-story ... -downtown/
https://www.durhamregion.com/news-story ... -downtown/
Last edited by EastGTARedFlagger on Jan 26th, 2019 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dec 8, 2013
402 posts
91 upvotes
Etobicoke
Dont understand how Rona is still in business....looks like its lost in the 70's
Zoomer $36/mo,400 min,Canada wide,2gb data,unltd text,free everything*
Zoomer Home Phone $10/mo,free Canada wide,modem,voicemail,features*
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4376 upvotes
rmyly48 wrote: Dont understand how Rona is still in business....looks like its lost in the 70's
If Lowe's didn't save them they would be out of business by now. I was hoping to see Home Depot and Lowe's finish them off.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)