Automotive

What do you want to see in a salesperson?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 30th, 2016 12:55 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 27, 2016
1 posts

What do you want to see in a salesperson?

Hi rfd!

I was employed by a dealership about a week ago and while I've just been shadowing my colleagues since and researching the products, I was really interested in getting different opinions and perspectives. I've worked mainly customer-centric positions in the past such as a wireless company, a tea shop, an ice cream store, and my primary approach has always been to figure out what customers are looking for, providing them with all the information that is relevant, and then wrapping things up from there. I've always taken satisfaction with knowing that I did everything I could to help people out. With all of that in mind, I hope to take on that same approach and helping people with their decision-making process.

I'm not at all interested in hearing tips or tricks to manipulate or pressuring people to buy, so please refrain from that. What I'd really appreciate are just things that you feel would make the entire car buying/leasing decision-making process better for you that a representative will be able to facilitate. An example of what I have thought would be helpful included providing a personal e-mail and number that customers could reach to ask questions or address any concerns. Since I work beside the service department, I could just pop by and ask them, then pass that back along to the customer.

Hope to hear back from you all and I hope you have a wonderful Tuesday!
43 replies
Aug 5, 2011
525 posts
78 upvotes
NORTH YORK
When I was shopping for a car couple weeks back, I had a salesmen that had no idea what he was talking about. The entire time he was answering my questions by flipping through the booklet. When I asked about warranty, he went back to his desk and grab a piece of paper and read off that. I walked away pretty quickly.

Please don't do that. Know the car you're trying to sell and the different services your dealer sells as well.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5476 posts
2999 upvotes
Toronto
I dont like when sales person need to go ask the manager 2+ times. One time is fine by making the customer sweat and have a coffee break, but 2+ x 5 mins is just stupid. Get the manager to the customers and introduce yourself. No need to hide in your secret cave devising up stupid ways to get extra buck. This just dont work any more.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14759 posts
9183 upvotes
Toronto
Transparency.

Side note; is your username wow that puppet?
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
29210 posts
14975 upvotes
Toronto
+1 - know your products you are selling and understand what customers' needs, if they are unsure what models they should be looking for. I say this is the biggest.

- no pressure selling. Most people will not buy on their first visit. They are there to ask questions and do test drives. Don't make arrogant remarks to customers. (we are #1 in this and the other brands are crap, etc.)
- when people doing test drives, talk as little as possible unless the customers are directing questions to you. Let the customers drive and feel for the car. When finished, you can ask for their inputs.
- provide pricing, factory program incentives, interest rates, etc to customers so they can be informed
- Invite customers to contact you for further questions on the product they may be interested in
- Be professional and do not give attitude to customers if they decide to go elsewhere or shop for other brands.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
4218 posts
3142 upvotes
Markham
Know your product inside and out.

There is no bigger turn off to me than when a I know more about the product or manufacturer incentives etc. That instantly tells me the person doesn't really enjoy their job which would make me uncomfortable.

Good luck.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5954 posts
1434 upvotes
???
Confidence
Wear deodorant
Peoples time is valuable and so is yours, don't waste it
Some people just want to buy a car and leave
Know your product but don't have to be crazy gear head
Don't pressure sell, like give people oh well we can do this deal today but tomorrow might not be the same
Don't bullshit customers
Under promise over deliver
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
2782 posts
1792 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Best advice is to STFU during test drivers, esp. if you know the customer knows about cars. Nothing more annoying that me trying to test drive and the guy just yapping on and on and on.

Another advice, know answers to questions. Know all the models inside out. I hate, hate, hate asking a question and the salesman not having a clue.
Oct 9, 2011
610 posts
312 upvotes
EAST YORK
I just bought a new car a couple of weeks and I'll tell you what I'm looking for after dealing with a few salespeople from various dealership:

- It's been said already, but PLEASE know your product inside and out. You should be able to answer every question I have about the car, how the features work, what kind of offers and deals are available etc. You have to look knowledgeable about the product you're selling or no one is buying from you
- Do not be pushy or use sales pressure tactics. Nothing turns me off of a salesperson more than when they are very obviously trying to push me to buy a product I may not be interested in. I don't like being sold to and I don't like being told I need to or have to buy this item. Just give me the relevant information and let me make my own decision. Don't manipulate information and twist numbers to make an offer seem better than it is
- Be personable and conversational. You dont have to have razor-sharp wit and be able to carry on non-stop banter, but at least be friendly and be able to to carry on a conversation. Be real, don't spit off a script or rehearse your lines. People can see through it
- Try not to talk too much during the test drive - the customer is using this opportunity to get a feel for the vehicle. It's a little hard to do that when you're beside them talking non-stop. Let them enjoy the car and only speak when they ask you a question
- Show respect to your customer. Treat them as a person and not as a walking meatbag there to pay your bills. By this, I mean respect their intelligence by not making obvious attempts to rip them off, don't show them attitude, don't make them wait longer than they have to etc. Chances are, if the overall experience you provided the customer was a positive one, they will remember it and they will tell their friends and family, which may result in additional customers for you in the future. Word of mouth is powerful, don't f*** up their impression of you.

These should be the foundation for you in how you deal with customers. I actually worked at a dealership before (not sales) and typically the successful salespeople were the ones who followed the above guidelines. Unfortunately, some of them were also the manipulative snakes that fooled gullible, uninformed buyers as well but you shouldn't have to go down that path.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
1766 posts
610 upvotes
Elgin, ON
Know your product, inside and out. I should not be able to study a web page for 5 minutes, walk into a dealer, and know more about a car, than the person selling it.

If you have the capacity, learn about the competition as well.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35620 posts
21677 upvotes
Center of Universe
I tell you want I want and how much I'm willing to pay.
You tell me if we're on, close or too far.
Don't go to the "back office" and pretend you're fighting for me with your sales manager.

I'm a serious buyer and you'll get the sale.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7625 posts
5135 upvotes
Canada
canoek wrote: Best advice is to STFU during test drivers, esp. if you know the customer knows about cars. Nothing more annoying that me trying to test drive and the guy just yapping on and on and on.

Another advice, know answers to questions. Know all the models inside out. I hate, hate, hate asking a question and the salesman not having a clue.
Why would you take the salesman with you to the test drive in the first place..... I hate dealerships that do this
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
29210 posts
14975 upvotes
Toronto
You are not taking the salesman , it's the other way around

My recent test drive at a dealer just last week, the SA had the key in the pocket the entire time and only allowed me to drive like 10 blocks in an industrial area. 15 min of test drive was not my ideal way to get a proper assessment
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18658 posts
2382 upvotes
Woodbridge
No offense but once you settle in and knowing it's base on commission your attitude will may change.

I get it's business and you'll need to do whatever it takes to make the sale.

So whenever I shop I like to get straight to the point, no BS games.
Dec 21, 2007
389 posts
8 upvotes
Hamilton
When buying our Volt we had sales people try and talk us out of it. They didn't know the car and even when I called ahead to say we were going to test drive the one on the lot it wasn't charged. Many times I've talked to a sales person who took my name and number in case they came across what I wanted only to not be called when they did get what I wanted on the lot. Just them being lazy. Remember people.. I can still after years walk into Riverside Auto Sales and George will still remember us and the one car we bought from him for instance. When we know someone is looking for a used car we always refer them to them due to them always remembering us and how smooth and way they made the whole process. You want people coming back to you and referring people to you in the future no matter if you buy one car, 10 cars, or no cars from you. I also remember they places that treat my children nicely and give them a treat.. Be it a piece of candy or a toy of what they sell. It reminds me of the sales person when my children play with it and my children tell everyone they know about it spreading the word of mouth. Mean what you say and say what you mean. Know your product... It's not up to me to educate you about what you are selling. Good luck!
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4638 upvotes
Montreal
Just give invoice price +2% not one dime more, free floor mats, free oil changes and you will be adored on this forum.
Dec 16, 2014
887 posts
475 upvotes
Easter Island
I don't want a salesperson, I know the car and trim I want. Buy online, straight fixed price with no bs addons and don't have to interact with rats like you
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2005
4976 posts
689 upvotes
I want honesty plain and simple. I don't want to hear some rant about all the features of a car because i probably have done more research on it than the salesman and i know more about it than he does. If i decide to buy the car i am serious - i'm not playing games dickering back and forth with the salesman running back and forth to the sales manager. I have walked out of dealerships and purchased from the same brand dealership 100's of miles away because of dishonesty mostly. There are a few great salesmen out there but they're few and far between.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5476 posts
2999 upvotes
Toronto
karakoram wrote: I don't want a salesperson, I know the car and trim I want. Buy online, straight fixed price with no bs addons and don't have to interact with rats like you
How is this possible
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
5723 posts
3332 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah with the Internets, is there still really a need for the added expense of the salesperson?

Just turn stealerships into showrooms and car servicing, this would make for a much better buying experience.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A