What does Canada mean to you?

[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2015
3242 posts
28169 upvotes
Toronto, ON

What does Canada mean to you?

We're in the North American border. Our neighbours to the south of us have taken the name America and created states in it. Our word, Canada, is derived from settlers asking about the name of this place, and I think they thought they wanted to know the area or go somewhere, and said "Up River" Kan-a-ta. The name stuck, but there's gotta be more in it in our 150 or more year history.

What does Canada mean to you? Is it the diversity, the culture, the history, the landmarks, the economy?- that turn you on about it. Maybe it's the Canadian girls and the beer. Let me know what inspires you about Canada and what positive thing you can say about it.

We're all not at the promised land yet, no pearly white gates - except maybe to lock us out, just a routine to make it through, and equate it the best way we know how, but what is Canada's edge in the world, what are we great at that's making this a home worth living? Let me know in your thoughts, might have to think before covid to make it happen, maybe not.
47 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2015
3242 posts
28169 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I like the freedoms, at least what they stand for, as well as the equality that's stipulated. I like the fact the city of Toronto is based around a lake, and once there, you can walk along it to get pretty much anywhere in the gta along the lake. Makes for a good time. I also like budweiser stage when it was open for concerts, cuz you don't have to break laws to smoke, you just go there, smoke whatever, feel good and go back to the concert. I like the variety you get when you go walking through the storefronts. It's really a place for everyone and anyone, though it's immigration policy is always changing and they don't just bring anyone that wants to come in. Guess you gotta scrutinize when you have something good, but I like it for what it's become, it's not crazy, even though we have our share of problems, it's not poor, even if we have people begging and sleeping on the streets, and it's just right like water when you go out and meet some people from here. It's a nice and friendly atmosphere and the people, variety and people striving for something make it for one great place to be in.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7939 posts
4340 upvotes
Alberta
Canada is Ontario and Quebec. No other provinces apply or matters anymore and the Turd proves it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2015
3242 posts
28169 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I haven't been to Alberta, but don't consider it a boom like the gold rush. Yes, the oil is there, but is it really like a honeymoon. Always busy, always infatuated, always seemingly perfect in the run its in. I don't think so, they have farms which have always been around and they have cities and businesses. Ontario isn't all Toronto, but where you're at is prob where you're most comfortable since it's what you know. The situations life gives it mean that you're in the right groove for it. Trudeau is like the general surgeon, always the big announcements and big waves of thought provocations insinuated in the big ol machine and trying to move the country in the direction its been going in, even if fickle is the start up now, it's gotta to run that way or else there will be worse problems.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2009
1509 posts
239 upvotes
"what does Canada mean to you"

It means we are so F&*(#d with the government that running the Country now.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7939 posts
4340 upvotes
Alberta
x1000. And guess who voted the Liberals and the Turd in >>> Ontario and Quebec.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2015
3242 posts
28169 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Would you rather have Trump leading you? The last few presidents, B. Clinton, G. Bush. Trump had some allegations like Billy Clinton, but he's not a prominent alcoholic like Bush. All in all, would you rather a direct successor of the Queen rule over you?

I see nothing wrong with Trudeau. People just get into a mob mentality over politics and no one really ever wins, because it goes back and forth on the spectrum. We're all in this together, let's not make such a fuss over the apparent leader of a country when in such a big corporation no one person ever makes a decision on their own. It's not a rogue nation lol
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
10816 posts
7155 upvotes
GTA, ON
jackrabbit000 wrote: x1000. And guess who voted the Liberals and the Turd in >>> Ontario and Quebec.
That's mainly the CPC fault. That's what happens when a party puts a loser like Scheer in charge. When the election comes and you're faced with the choice of idiot one or idiot two, the country votes in the lesser of two morons.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
8923 posts
1154 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Canada to me is diversity and inclusivity. It's far from perfect, but having traveled to a few countries, there's not many places where so many people of so many different walks of life would be welcome. Whether it's race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, religious background or something else, compared to many places in the world, Canada is welcoming and doesn't bat an eye at many things.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2015
3242 posts
28169 upvotes
Toronto, ON
This topic lead to Canada being compared to the Upper and Lower Canada of old. It's Canada wide that I seek, but again, haven't taken a road trip through Canada to know what can inspire me from the drive/park and wander/do touristy stuff around. One day maybe. It also became political based on parties. Kinda derailed the topic, but I'll leave it open since it might still have something in it. I should refrain from posting so much in my threads too, will try to do that from herein lol.
Temp. Banned
Aug 18, 2019
220 posts
177 upvotes
Canada means the rich immigrants can hide their wealth and income overseas and not paying income taxes at all while put their spouses and kids on welfare living in mansions. Oh and welcoming new Canadian babies with mothers of foreign citizens who just stepped foot for few weeks or months on our soil and then go back to their home countries once their deeds are done without paying for the healthcare expenses hoping that their newly minted Canadian kids in 10-15 years or so will get subsidized world class education and will bring them back to Canadian soil one day to immigrate and be put on the welfare track again to live happily ever after paid for by the rest of Canadian taxpayers thanks to TURDeauThumbs Up Sign
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2015
3242 posts
28169 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I think refugees have always been allowed to migrate to Canada. There have been times that we needed more people and the doors got opened a little more. This time is not the first time in history the borders to Canada have been opened. As for coming for education and health care, it seems we have all grown into work or ways to keep busy. This infrastructure that we have here is pretty good at doing what it does, but it's not the highest import/export margin in the world. English is there to earn for everyone, education is given to everyone as a base and health care is there to keep you grounded and alive for your duration. You didn't say anything bad that I can digress from this, apart from calling the salt n pepa man a turd lol. Everyone on tv after you watch them for a while seems like they're just giving farts out of their thoughts and reading a speech/manuscript, but this isn't different from the politics we were used to either, or are going on simultaneously. Just because some people's lives revolve around work to feel fulfilled, that's just the appetite of our people. They want money to spend, but now without spending as much, they're getting anxious. This isn't the first time in the world that we've had government intervention, but these days, anything they say is secondary to our lives/livelihood. The only thing we need is a world that really works, without the bs these health care professionals and government interwoven as one is currently dishing out to try and scramble out a plan. None of us have one that would work apart from just try it, and they can't be held accountable and we're waiting on better.
Banned
Dec 28, 2019
1021 posts
644 upvotes
liemhoho wrote: Canada means the rich immigrants can hide their wealth and income overseas and not paying income taxes at all while put their spouses and kids on welfare living in mansions. Oh and welcoming new Canadian babies with mothers of foreign citizens who just stepped foot for few weeks or months on our soil and then go back to their home countries once their deeds are done without paying for the healthcare expenses hoping that their newly minted Canadian kids in 10-15 years or so will get subsidized world class education and will bring them back to Canadian soil one day to immigrate and be put on the welfare track again to live happily ever after paid for by the rest of Canadian taxpayers
That's your biggest pet peeves?

Ungrateful towards rich immigrants' contribution. Ridiculously false statement on rich immigrants on welfare.

It hurts your pride that Canada has to import rich overseas customers to prop up your country.

I actually agree with you on principle--Please don't let anybody, rich or poor, emigrate to Canada, period.