Real Estate

What does increase a value of a house?

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 2nd, 2019 10:22 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 25, 2011
2973 posts
12693 upvotes
Saint-Eustache

What does increase a value of a house?

We are looking to sell our house in a year and moving to a bigger one (family is getting bigger...)

What does increase a value of a house?

- Roof was changed in 2016
- Ingound pool liner was changed in 2014
- Planning to redo the bathroom next month (changing tiles\Bathtub)
- Asphalt in bad shape and planning to redo it along with my walkway (we got quoted to change asphalt for 5500$ and if we add 12inch of gravel with excavation it will be 7800$, this is without the walk way which is 3000$+)
- We've been in this house for 9 years and we didn't change the windows (how long the windows will last?)

Is it worth to change the Asphalt, does it change anything on value of the house?
Rogers Unlimited Province, 7gb $39/month! Thanks RFD!!
22 replies
Newbie
Jan 19, 2018
59 posts
17 upvotes
If i was you i will just do bathroom reno and leave Asphalt and Windows.
Windows typically last for 15 years, so you should be good.

Asphalt can improve the curb appeal of the house, though you might not get the investment back when you sell.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 25, 2011
2973 posts
12693 upvotes
Saint-Eustache
Salute wrote: If i was you i will just do bathroom reno and leave Asphalt and Windows.
Windows typically last for 15 years, so you should be good.

Asphalt can improve the curb appeal of the house, though you might not get the investment back when you sell.
I have always the same question, if the asphalt has to be re-done by the seller or the buyer, what does make difference? spending 10000$ on asphalt and walkway wouldn't get the investment back?
Rogers Unlimited Province, 7gb $39/month! Thanks RFD!!
Member
Feb 7, 2018
214 posts
268 upvotes
Rlcky wrote: We are looking to sell our house in a year and moving to a bigger one (family is getting bigger...)

What does increase a value of a house?

- Roof was changed in 2016
- Ingound pool liner was changed in 2014
- Planning to redo the bathroom next month (changing tiles\Bathtub)
- Asphalt in bad shape and planning to redo it along with my walkway (we got quoted to change asphalt for 5500$ and if we add 12inch of gravel with excavation it will be 7800$, this is without the walk way which is 3000$+)
- We've been in this house for 9 years and we didn't change the windows (how long the windows will last?)

Is it worth to change the Asphalt, does it change anything on value of the house?
This is a very good question. I’d definitely like to hear people’s thoughts.

I would say for me the things that would improve value are things buyers can see and want (ie updated kitchens/bathrooms/layouts/landscaping). More maintenance type items (ie newer furnace, roof, windows) don’t up the value per se, but rather protect the value of your house.

Think about it this way. If you think your house is worth 500k but there is a lot of maintenance work to do - buyers might deduct that from their offer. They might offer 480k saying there’s 20k worth of maintenance to do. Whereas a new kitchen/bathroom will entice buyers to offer above 500k because of “upgrades”. In your situation I’d redo walkway and bathroom, walkway will maybe add a small amount - but more importantly it will not detract buyers.

These are my thoughts anyways - I would like to hear from more experienced professionals.
Newbie
Jul 30, 2019
13 posts
3 upvotes
Find a realtor who will stage the house... that's the best investment you should make... Hide or disclose all the defects and un-clutter everything... if your location is good, it doesn't matter how much you spend to fix it up, someone will buy it.
Sr. Member
Feb 19, 2019
788 posts
826 upvotes
Stouffville ON
Rlcky wrote: We are looking to sell our house in a year and moving to a bigger one (family is getting bigger...)

What does increase a value of a house?

- Roof was changed in 2016
- Ingound pool liner was changed in 2014
- Planning to redo the bathroom next month (changing tiles\Bathtub)
- Asphalt in bad shape and planning to redo it along with my walkway (we got quoted to change asphalt for 5500$ and if we add 12inch of gravel with excavation it will be 7800$, this is without the walk way which is 3000$+)
- We've been in this house for 9 years and we didn't change the windows (how long the windows will last?)

Is it worth to change the Asphalt, does it change anything on value of the house?
As the buyers come to your house the front exterior will give them first impression. If it looks well maintained and clean the first impression will positive. It’s hard to tell what will translate into the sale price but in general you may not be getting the money you put into it unless you do the upgrades yourself. Roof is new, that’s good, you aren’t likely to get $10K back for new driveway, unless the driveway is in a horrid condition perhaps you can simply seal it before it goes on the market to improve the curb appeal.

Don’t worry about the windows if they are fine.
Bathroom it depends, yes it can have an impact, but how is the overall house? How much do you plan on spending, how big is the house, is the kitchen updated, can you share photos of your bathroom?
Full Time and Full Service Realtor
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 10, 2008
4586 posts
1038 upvotes
I wouldn't put money into upgrades. Just price it accordingly.

When I see "recently upgraded kitchen/bathroom" think "why?"
Let's hug it out
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 25, 2011
2973 posts
12693 upvotes
Saint-Eustache
senasena wrote: As the buyers come to your house the front exterior will give them first impression. If it looks well maintained and clean the first impression will positive. It’s hard to tell what will translate into the sale price but in general you may not be getting the money you put into it unless you do the upgrades yourself. Roof is new, that’s good, you aren’t likely to get $10K back for new driveway, unless the driveway is in a horrid condition perhaps you can simply seal it before it goes on the market to improve the curb appeal.

Don’t worry about the windows if they are fine.
Bathroom it depends, yes it can have an impact, but how is the overall house? How much do you plan on spending, how big is the house, is the kitchen updated, can you share photos of your bathroom?
Will take few pics from the driveway\walkway and bathroom.

Kitchen was renovated before we goes in to the house and well maintained, painting the cabinet is in the plan (im not wood expert but most probably they are OAK wood cabinet")

I'm renovating the bathroom not because i want to sell it, just for our-self.

The house is 3 bedrooms and 1 bathroom around 1040SQF , well maintained since we moved in from inside and outside expect the driveway.
Rogers Unlimited Province, 7gb $39/month! Thanks RFD!!
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
13418 posts
3545 upvotes
GTA
Personally I wouldn't bother with the driveway unless it's in shambles. A driveway that's rough is something people will overlook if they love the house and lot IMO.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 4, 2006
3475 posts
641 upvotes
Make sure any updates are nice to general public and not just for your taste or lowest cost.

There’s a lot of photos on realtor.ca where I don’t ascribe any value to “updated” renovations bc the seller had bad taste.
Penalty Box
Feb 29, 2008
12035 posts
7161 upvotes
poorwingman wrote: Make sure any updates are nice to general public and not just for your taste or lowest cost.

There’s a lot of photos on realtor.ca where I don’t ascribe any value to “updated” renovations bc the seller had bad taste.
Nothing worse than seeing a terrible/tacky reno and the seller adding that reno to the price when it would have been better off untouched.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
4371 posts
2945 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Has anyone actually broke even or made a profit doing renos before selling? I seen many house appraisals and rarely do I see them make a significant increase in price. Most of the increase back then came from bidding wars.

I would suggest spend as little as possible to make the biggest impact like on the appearance of your home. Do some repainting and new carpeting and that usually goes much better. Unless your kitchen or bathroom is destroyed, I wouldn't bother and just get a cleaning company to clean it up.
Current Fido and Rogers customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Nov 1, 2001
826 posts
260 upvotes
Toronto
I agree.
It's also dependent on how buyer values. People always think you get a lot of money back, but I find it depends on market.
If you watch those home Reno shows they always overstate the increase in value because they don't subtract cost of renovation
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2004
4426 posts
2041 upvotes
Toronto
some are turned off by pools.
Full-time Realtor
Member
Dec 21, 2010
295 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
in my opinion ... you may only get your money/or better with Kitchen and Master Bathroom upgrades.
For example ... grantie/quartz + backsplash .... it possible double sink in master bathroom.
And this is not doing it at big box prices.

Paint is good as well, if you can do it yourself

Top