Site Comments & Suggestions

Locked: What does it take to be banned from RFD ?

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 5th, 2020 6:45 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 5, 2008
13829 posts
7963 upvotes
Toronto

What does it take to be banned from RFD ?

Serious question

What does it take to be banned from RFD for posting absolute nonsense, flame bait/clickbait threads?

I am seeing repeat offenders having their threads locked REPEATEDLY yet they aren’t even in the penalty box.

You have people clearly trying to cause chaos in a time where everyone is on the knife’s edge, with no consequences.

Then you have people posting Chinese propaganda (for or against), again, not being warned or banned.

I’m not naming names, I can if needed. In OT area one person has had 3 threads locked in the past 3 days and other threads are cesspools begging to be closed.

Thanks for reading
Share:
20 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
8707 posts
5634 upvotes
Kootenays
+1 Now's not the time to be spouting or repeating garbage.
Administrator
User avatar
Jun 17, 2013
14739 posts
27764 upvotes
Scarborough
We don't publicize bannings or actions against accounts, however we do regularly issue warnings, infractions, blocks, and bans throughout the website. Please PM me the usernames of any members you feel aren't properly being looked at and I'll check into those accounts.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Banned
Feb 7, 2005
4498 posts
1183 upvotes
Anything pro Trump post . Anytime you ask for proof when people post misinformation. Anytime you call these people out . They will complain and you will get banned . I have been cut out of the politics forum for months . When asked why I am told to look at the rules .
<sig removed> by moderators . Yet no moderator told me they removed or why ?
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 5, 2008
13829 posts
7963 upvotes
Toronto
TomRFD wrote: Please PM me the usernames of any members you feel aren't properly being looked at and I'll check into those accounts.
Message sent. Thanks
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 23, 2007
9879 posts
1063 upvotes
Mississauga
Ask K_K
RFD 43-0-0
Ebay 35-0-0
|Dance.Flirt.Music.Chill|
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 5, 2004
25415 posts
4522 upvotes
We do not ban people for either pro or anti-trump opinions.
Banned
Feb 7, 2005
4498 posts
1183 upvotes
Shaner wrote: We do not ban people for either pro or anti-trump opinions.
I call that BS. I have been called names and the posters are never suspended .
<sig removed> by moderators . Yet no moderator told me they removed or why ?
Moderator
Sep 27, 2003
10416 posts
2866 upvotes
Newmarket
pfbmgd wrote: I call that BS. I have been called names and the posters are never suspended .
What does that have to do with not banning people for having opinions about Trump? If you've been called names and you didn't instigate it, then report it...or just ignore the user and move on (we are all adults, right?).
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2001
3983 posts
590 upvotes
Toronto
You guys are wasting time complaining. I have seen individuals who post racist comments and continued on the forum. It's all about selective beliefs, just accept it and move on.
"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn."

Alvin Toffler
Moderator
Sep 27, 2003
10416 posts
2866 upvotes
Newmarket
maddawg wrote: You guys are wasting time complaining. I have seen individuals who post racist comments and continued on the forum. It's all about selective beliefs, just accept it and move on.
We do not tolerate racism. Please report the posts and we will ensure they are reviewed.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 16, 2011
3930 posts
3482 upvotes
The NORTH
What I want to know is why when a poster calls another person a name some mods will edit the name calling out of the post while others won't. Some mods don't edit swearing while some will. The rules don't seem to be enforced uniformly by all...
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2001
3983 posts
590 upvotes
Toronto
WorldIRC wrote: We do not tolerate racism. Please report the posts and we will ensure they are reviewed.
Based on mod performance in the past, I will not waste my time reporting anything.
"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn."

Alvin Toffler
Moderator
Sep 27, 2003
10416 posts
2866 upvotes
Newmarket
kr0zet wrote: What I want to know is why when a poster calls another person a name some mods will edit the name calling out of the post while others won't. Some mods don't edit swearing while some will. The rules don't seem to be enforced uniformly by all...
Swearing will be about context. Swearing itself isn't against the rules.

Name calling, again, we're all adults. If you think a user is being attacked, report it and we'll review it. Alternatively, ignore the user and move on.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 16, 2011
3930 posts
3482 upvotes
The NORTH
WorldIRC wrote: Swearing will be about context. Swearing itself isn't against the rules.

Name calling, again, we're all adults. If you think a user is being attacked, report it and we'll review it. Alternatively, ignore the user and move on.
The site has a filter for certain words, forgive me but that sounds like a rule. Someone spelling a word differently to get around that filter isn't against the rules? Weird...

As for us all being adults, you maybe a mod but that's simply untrue.
Moderator
Sep 27, 2003
10416 posts
2866 upvotes
Newmarket
kr0zet wrote: The site has a filter for certain words, forgive me but that sounds like a rule. Someone spelling a word differently to get around that filter isn't against the rules? Weird...

As for us all being adults, you maybe a mod but that's simply untrue.
The filter is simply there to reduce the amount of swearing and to prevent other words / websites from being displayed for legal / security purposes.

We no longer have a rule for bypassing the swear filter (long time now).
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 17, 2009
2701 posts
1368 upvotes
@WorldIRC , @TomRFD @Shaner in regards to OP's thread, this is a case of the kettle calling the pot, black. Particularly, he says:

Swerny wrote: Serious question

What does it take to be banned from RFD for posting absolute nonsense, flame bait/clickbait threads?
You may want to consider looking at his "contributions" or posts to various threads, like below, which I found using a brief, 2-minutes, cursory search. I'm sure there's more:


Swerny in CN Tower closure. This was a Travel topic:
dude we don't need a separate thread for every closure/suspension. I realize you are Mr Newsbot but give it a rest already.


Swerny in GTA YMCAs closed until at least April 5. This was a Health and Wellness thread:
spell check bud, I've told you before. Your nonsense is painful to read. :facepalm:
Also check his post #18 in the same thread, for more flamebaiting and thread crapping.

Or, his contributions here, or here, or here, or even here.

My point? Most of us who have been here for +10 years have been guilty of making some offside comment at some point in time and have been called upon, whether in fairness (or not, depending on the mod). But I don't believe it is fair to point the finger at others, when one is doing the same thing they are accusing others of doing. Sure, OP may not start flamebaiting threads, but posting comments that are inflammatory or don't add anything, don't help either.

Just my two cents.

M
Corvus oculum corvi non eruit.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36156 posts
10274 upvotes
Ottawa
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote: @WorldIRC , @TomRFD @Shaner in regards to OP's thread, this is a case of the kettle calling the pot, black. Particularly, he says:




You may want to consider looking at his "contributions" or posts to various threads, like below, which I found using a brief, 2-minutes, cursory search. I'm sure there's more:


Swerny in CN Tower closure. This was a Travel topic:

Swerny in GTA YMCAs closed until at least April 5. This was a Health and Wellness thread: Also check his post #18 in the same thread, for more flamebaiting and thread crapping.

Or, his contributions here, or here, or here, or even here.

My point? Most of us who have been here for +10 years have been guilty of making some offside comment at some point in time and have been called upon, whether in fairness (or not, depending on the mod). But I don't believe it is fair to point the finger at others, when one is doing the same thing they are accusing others of doing. Sure, OP may not start flamebaiting threads, but posting comments that are inflammatory or don't add anything, don't help either.

Just my two cents.

M
Maybe if he gets reported enough the mods will ban him? :)
I am surprised this thread is not locked with one of the mods famous reason "You can message TomRFD who is the admin for this site to further discuss your issue"
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Guru
Apr 8, 2013
10205 posts
734 upvotes
WorldIRC wrote: The filter is simply there to reduce the amount of swearing and to prevent other words / websites from being displayed for legal / security purposes.

We no longer have a rule for bypassing the swear filter (long time now).
So we are allowed to swear as long as its not towards another member?
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 5, 2008
13829 posts
7963 upvotes
Toronto
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote: @WorldIRC , @TomRFD @Shaner in regards to OP's thread, this is a case of the kettle calling the pot, black. Particularly, he says:




You may want to consider looking at his "contributions" or posts to various threads, like below, which I found using a brief, 2-minutes, cursory search. I'm sure there's more:


Swerny in CN Tower closure. This was a Travel topic:

Swerny in GTA YMCAs closed until at least April 5. This was a Health and Wellness thread: Also check his post #18 in the same thread, for more flamebaiting and thread crapping.

Or, his contributions here, or here, or here, or even here.

My point? Most of us who have been here for +10 years have been guilty of making some offside comment at some point in time and have been called upon, whether in fairness (or not, depending on the mod). But I don't believe it is fair to point the finger at others, when one is doing the same thing they are accusing others of doing. Sure, OP may not start flamebaiting threads, but posting comments that are inflammatory or don't add anything, don't help either.

Just my two cents.

M
Ah yes, comments from the peanut gallery, and really rich coming from you, a poster notorious for posting flame bait/clickbait threads.

How long would it take me to find your crap threads Micelli?

I readily admit to making smart ass comments in ridiculous and redundant threads. The mods know this and have warned me accordingly.

The :facepalm: posts I made....imagine that, all but the last one of those threads were locked for being crap.

What I don’t do however, is post ridiculous flame bait threads that get locked within a day

Over and over again, the same posters, and they don’t get banned

The person I mentioned in post #1 has since made a 4th thread that was also instantly locked

Guess what? They still haven’t been banned or even out in the penalty box

Top