What are the downsides of PC Financial's 'no fee bank account?'

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 31st, 2016 5:37 pm
[OP]
Jan 16, 2010
629 posts
21 upvotes

What are the downsides of PC Financial's 'no fee bank account?'

So I've finally made my mind to do all my personal banking at a non big five banks. I'm liking PC Financial, other than the fact that it is not a b/m bank are there any other downsides. The way I bank is that I use my chequing account only for deposits, bills, etc. Other words, all my money goes to the CHQ account, I then transfer it to SAVINGS, and only transfer back to CHQ if I have issued a cheque or if I have to pay bills, etc., so how fast does PC transfer between CHQ and SAVINGS account, if I do it online, will I have to wait? Are there any other disadvantages?
125 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2385 posts
347 upvotes
jewville wrote: So I've finally made my mind to do all my personal banking at a non big five banks. I'm liking PC Financial, other than the fact that it is not a b/m bank are there any other downsides. The way I bank is that I use my chequing account only for deposits, bills, etc. Other words, all my money goes to the CHQ account, I then transfer it to SAVINGS, and only transfer back to CHQ if I have issued a cheque or if I have to pay bills, etc., so how fast does PC transfer between CHQ and SAVINGS account, if I do it online, will I have to wait? Are there any other disadvantages?

Transfers into savings are immediate, transfers out of savings have to be scheduled 1 day into the future.

Personally, I use a PCF LOC as my chequing account, because then the timing of transfers is no longer an issue. Still a good idea to transfer ASAP, but if you can't/forget/whatever, it's only going to cost you a few pennies in interest.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
1326 posts
44 upvotes
Mississauga
I've been a PCF customer for close to 10 years and love it. The only issue I ever had was once when I needed to get a certified cheque. It's not an immediate thing, but it, like anything, can be done. My PC mortgage was easy and no hassle, I have linked accounts with my daughter, no hold chequing account, etc.
Sep 14, 2010
4 posts
Vancouver
if you're traveling and think you need to pull out money from the machine while abroad, you won't be able to. you'll need to transfer money into an account where the client card can do more than just interac.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
1326 posts
44 upvotes
Mississauga
psych wrote: if you're traveling and think you need to pull out money from the machine while abroad, you won't be able to. you'll need to transfer money into an account where the client card can do more than just interac.

I don't quite get this. I used my bank card at machines everywhere - Cuba, Mexico, etc. It's linked to CIBC so there is no difference.
[OP]
Jan 16, 2010
629 posts
21 upvotes
angel_wing0 wrote: no branches, depositing a big amount of cash is risky as there are a few threads regarding that recently.

ohh i totally forgot about depositing cash, and i certainly don't want to risk depositing cash in the atm, and what if i need to withdraw big sums of money, what is the limit to that?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2677 upvotes
Vancouver
taylyn wrote: I don't quite get this. I used my bank card at machines everywhere - Cuba, Mexico, etc. It's linked to CIBC so there is no difference.

There is a difference. PC Financial supports Interac only, which is good enough most places in North America, but doesn't have the international support of Cirrus (MasterCard) or Plus (Visa).

But aside from the minor issues already mentioned, I've been a happy customer of PCF for many years.

I can take $1000 cash out of the bank machine. If I need more cash than that, I can certainly plan a few days ahead to use an alternative method.
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17865 posts
923 upvotes
I'm with them right now but I'll be the first to tell you, they are crap. They love holding onto your money for over 5 business days before its posted into your account too. Super annoying.

What's the risks depositing into the ATM you guys are talking about though? I routinely deposit like 3000 dollars cash into their machines, I'd like to hear more on this?
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2003
3908 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
Been with them since about 04 or so. Never had major problems.
They do have holds but that's never been a big issue with me, and you can ask for holds to be reduced over time. Direct deposits are never held.
--
There is no happy ending
Feb 1, 2010
872 posts
173 upvotes
I have both PCF and now ING Thrive. I like Thrive better as it allows instant transfers between accounts, and they gave me 5 times the hold waiver than PCF do. The negative is you pay for cheques after the first 50.
Mar 23, 2004
41624 posts
7615 upvotes
Markham
jewville wrote: ohh i totally forgot about depositing cash, and i certainly don't want to risk depositing cash in the atm, and what if i need to withdraw big sums of money, what is the limit to that?

$1000 per day, their highest limit afaik.
duckdown wrote: I'm with them right now but I'll be the first to tell you, they are crap. They love holding onto your money for over 5 business days before its posted into your account too. Super annoying.

What's the risks depositing into the ATM you guys are talking about though? I routinely deposit like 3000 dollars cash into their machines, I'd like to hear more on this?

that depends on what your hold limit is. For me, it's anything above 5k for each account = 10k total. More than enough for me.

dont have the exact links right now, but do a search. Someone deposited 600 (or 6k, forgot exact amount), wife called, made an error of somesort, and got screwed out of $300 (or 3k).
Apr 26, 2010
129 posts
10 upvotes
Burnaby
I have been with PC Financial for so many years and really happy with them. Two obvious downsides:

1. Depositing huge amount of cash can be bit of a risk. Personally I've never experienced any problems with CIBC/PCF's ATM but have read a thread on it here.

2. Getting a bank draft could take some time. Basically, you need to call them and they will make arrangements for you to pick up your bank draft from nearest CIBC branch. Process is pretty straight-forward although it takes 3-4 days and you pay around $30 for draft (with TD, I think it's around $8 and you can request them to waive it off).

But lots of upsides:

1. Free Banking

2. Free cheques

3. Easy to use web interface.

4. Access to all CIBC ATM's without any fees.