Personal Finance

What is an Electronic Fund Transfer (EFT)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 1st, 2020 9:56 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2013
2779 posts
1134 upvotes
Winnipeg

What is an Electronic Fund Transfer (EFT)

Hi,
I have a mortgage with MCAP and I called them to pay out my mortgage. I can send them a bank draft, but bank draft can be risky. They gave me another option for EFT. Details are at the link below -
MCAP EFT

I called my bank Tangerine and they said they dont offer this. I have another account at Simplii. Whats the EFT thing and how can I use it?
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -- Douglas Adams
13 replies
May 4, 2010
260 posts
255 upvotes
Ottawa
I see a SWIFT code. I think they want a wire transfer.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2007
1941 posts
2357 upvotes
New Brunswick
If it were a PAP I'd expect an authorization form... it's really weird. I agree with @introspect, it feels like they want a wire transfer.
Banking: Alterna Bank (2.25%), Motive Financial (4.1%)
Investing: Qtrade Direct Investing
Spending: Scotia Amex Gold (6 pts/Sobeys, 5 pts/dining, 1 pts/rest), Scene Visa (1 pts)
Mobile: Eastlink 20GB Rollover ($39/mth)
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2013
2779 posts
1134 upvotes
Winnipeg
I have my Simplii account setup for PAP. But they say since this is payout (discharge on renewal), they wont take it from my account.

They told me this SWIFT wire EFT thing was due to COVID thing. If I cant figure this out, I'll just get the bank draft. But I would have preferred doing everything online if I could.

Update: Simplii said they can do it. Cost is $50 for <$50K, $80 for $50K+
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -- Douglas Adams
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2013
2779 posts
1134 upvotes
Winnipeg
My amount is in $50Ks. Should I spent $80 (worry-free) for the wire transfer or get a draft for $10 to my address and then send it through Canada Post. Canada Post insurance maxes out at $5K. I think I'll just bite the bullet and gor for safety... :rolleyes:
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2018
6328 posts
2521 upvotes
does it matter?
Mr Bean wrote: My amount is in $50Ks. Should I spent $80 (worry-free) for the wire transfer or get a draft for $10 to my address and then send it through Canada Post. Canada Post insurance maxes out at $5K. I think I'll just bite the bullet and gor for safety... :rolleyes:
This. No contest.
"Laws for thee but not for me!" I will keep on jet-setting around the world. Spend as much as I can and enjoy vacations Free at Friends estate. Do as I do not as I say. I used to pay for my vacation until I met my hero.
Mar 23, 2004
47726 posts
13898 upvotes
Markham
Mr Bean wrote: My amount is in $50Ks. Should I spent $80 (worry-free) for the wire transfer or get a draft for $10 to my address and then send it through Canada Post. Canada Post insurance maxes out at $5K. I think I'll just bite the bullet and gor for safety... :rolleyes:
Definitely the worry-free route.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2013
2779 posts
1134 upvotes
Winnipeg
QCSaver wrote: Any chance you can pay via bill pay?
They didnt give me that option. I can find MCAP in bill pay but I dont want to try it. It might be a hassle to get the money back.
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3878 upvotes
If you have a LOC with the same bank, I think you can pre-pay your LOC via bill payment (at least with a few big banks you can), then just transfer funds from LOC into mortgage.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2013
2779 posts
1134 upvotes
Winnipeg
I called Simplii, paid the $80 fee and did the EFT/ Wire Transfer. The phone call took 10-15 mins. The money reached MCAP in 1 business day. No hassle.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)