Rice Cooker < I have
Yogurt Maker < Astro Balkan 2% 650g, $2
Egg Cooker < Frying Pan?
Sauté < Frying Pan?
Steamer < I have, a yuge one!
Warmer < Microwave+ stove warmer?
Sterilizer < I have, kettle & pot?
and it makes cake too < I buy, rarely?

Sooooo what am I missing all the goos goos & the gaas gaas?

TIA
21 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12921 posts
7644 upvotes
Markham
I'd say the majority of ppl use IP as a ELECTRIC pressure cooker. I have a stove top pressur cooker and since getting a IP, i don't really use it anymore.

The reason... No baby sitting required and no smell and no sound.

Your missing poor man non circulating sous vide.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6330 posts
2835 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
As above, it is an electric pressure cooker first and foremost. I bought mine as I've always wanted a pressure cooker but the IP was cheaper.

The IP is very well insulated so doesn't emit much heat so less energy is lost to heat emission/inefficient heat transfer. One of the very odd uses for us is to make hummingbird food. We have to make 4 l with 1 Kg of sugar every 2-3 days to feed the horde we have. I'm pretty sure it uses less energy than stove top boiling.

Using it to sauté before braising means you don't lose the good stuff stuck on the bottom.

Otherwise use it to make quick soups and stews, braising, occasional rice cooking, potato boiling,
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13016 upvotes
Samwfive wrote: Rice Cooker
To be fair, my rice cooker is a pressure cooker.
Astro Balkan 2% 650g, $2
You mean 6%
Also it's 750g.

Egg Cooker < Frying Pan?
You mean pressure cooker.
Sauté < Frying Pan?
This one I genuinely don't understand.
Sure there's searing before pressure/slow cooking which saves a pan, but now you're dirtying something else while you deglaze.
You mean pressure cooker again. I like pressure steaming.
I think this is meant to hold stuff like rice and stew which a microwave/stove won't do nicely.
A slow cooker (which you have) would probably do better.
Does it actually claim to sterilize? Also I have a dishwasher.
I've never understood pressure cooker cake.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2949 upvotes
it's the convenience. It also works as a rice cooker.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
9545 posts
3810 upvotes
Toronto
Samwfive wrote: Duo Plus replaces 9 common kitchen appliances including:

Pressure Cooker < I have
Slow Cooker < I have
Rice Cooker < I have
Egg Cooker < Frying Pan?
Sauté < Frying Pan?

TIA
my ninja foodi can do all of the above, although i do a few things using different methods. i have even tried making a bread pudding (i.e. cake) in it and it turned out great. use the roast setting to bake while covered. then uncover and crisp the top.

oh, and it also air "fries", roasts, browns, and dehydrates...unlike an IP.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
6089 posts
2012 upvotes
Montreal
If you already have all those appliances and aren't interested in combining them all in one, maybe this isn't for you.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13901 posts
8994 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Instant Pot can replace all your gadgets you just listed and save you TONS of space.
Samwfive wrote: Duo Plus replaces 9 common kitchen appliances including:

Pressure Cooker < I have
Slow Cooker < I have
Rice Cooker < I have
Egg Cooker < Frying Pan?
Sauté < Frying Pan?

TIA

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2007
2754 posts
759 upvotes
Scarborough
psyko514 wrote: If you already have all those appliances and aren't interested in combining them all in one, maybe this isn't for you.
Bingo!

Thanked!
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12921 posts
7644 upvotes
Markham
The IP was case was a direct replacement of my stove top pressure cooker.... For me it was a great upgrade that i don't want to go back to.

The other stuff is a bonus and depending on how often you use that other stuff (eg slow cooker), you could get rid of them.

Is kind of like why buy an electric kettle when i could just boil water in a pot on the stove.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
May 12, 2014
907 posts
556 upvotes
Markham, ON
Samwfive wrote: Bingo!

Thanked!
Who are you having a discussion with? This sounds like you're trying to prove you don't need one.

If you want one, get one, and get rid of your pressure cooker, rice cooker, and slow cooker or at least move the out of the kitchen so you get more space. With the new one doing sous vide, I'm tempted to upgrade so I can also get rid of my immersion circulator. I find pressure cooked rice to taste better than the older non pressurized rice cookers.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2006
2256 posts
886 upvotes
for smoking pot?
The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Ronald Reagan
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13901 posts
8994 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Op has too much time on his hand...
Bobberts wrote: Who are you having a discussion with? This sounds like you're trying to prove you don't need one.

If you want one, get one, and get rid of your pressure cooker, rice cooker, and slow cooker or at least move the out of the kitchen so you get more space. With the new one doing sous vide, I'm tempted to upgrade so I can also get rid of my immersion circulator. I find pressure cooked rice to taste better than the older non pressurized rice cookers.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
6723 posts
3788 upvotes
Aurora
Instant Pot - yes to these; works well:
Samwfive wrote: Pressure Cooker < I have
Slow Cooker < I have
Rice Cooker < I have
and it makes cake too < I buy, rarely? [and breads too - my banana bread is delish with the IP]
[Oh, rehydrating foods works well for IP. I use it all the time to re-hydrate dried shiitake mushrooms where normally they take a whole day to soak.]

Why?? Big NO for the IP:
Samwfive wrote: Egg Cooker < Frying Pan? [Why? lots of cleanup afterwards and no faster. Much easier with a small pan. Also pretty hard to do a flip over easy with IP]
Sauté < Frying Pan? [Yes, it could in a pinch, but again why? Not big enough and too deep for real sauteing and a real pan or wok does the job 10x's better and easier]
Steamer < I have, a yuge one! [Way too small to do anything but playing around with steaming - no way it can hold a whole fish, for example]
Warmer < Microwave+ stove warmer? [Use a microwave, stove, or toaster over, then. The IP is in no way faster.]
Sterilizer < I have, kettle & pot? [Sterilize what?]
Oh, I'll add that IP is great when cooking odours are a a concern. Very little smell after an IP cook.

Don't look for IP solutions where none exists. Stick with what it's good at and use the right tool for the right job. I remember way back when microwaves first came on the market and people were trying to shoehorn this magical device for all types of ridiculous cooking; we know better now.
Nov 3, 2016
224 posts
166 upvotes
Toronto
DiceMan wrote: I remember way back when microwaves first came on the market and people were trying to shoehorn this magical device for all types of ridiculous cooking; we know better now.
Oh wow, I remember a family member cooking a pie crust in the microwave and adding unsweetened iced tea powder to make it look like it was baked in an oven. People were nutty over microwaves for whatever reason.

Regarding the IP as an egg cooker: I wouldn't use it to fry eggs, that actually sounds difficult, but it's pretty great at hard-boiling them and leaving the shell easy to peel. Doesn't matter if they're fresh eggs or if they've been kicking around a while, the shells just slide right off. This is not a reason to buy an IP of course, but if you already have one, pressure-cooking HB eggs is the way to go.

I bought my first IP in 2012 when they'd been around for a couple of years and there was a decent sale. I'd wanted an electric pressure cooker for a while but other brands were too pricey for me at the time. My mother used a stovetop pressure cooker and would chase us kids out of the kitchen when the top got rattling and I grew up terrified of the thing, so electric was the way to go for me. I love it, but if I'd been comfortable using mom's old pressure cooker, I wouldn't have bought an IP and wouldn't care. I like the yogurt making setting (I upgraded IPs a few months ago) but prior to that I'd just wrap a small blanket around the incubating yogurt pot and put it in the oven. The only problem with that was remembering I had yogurt and a blanket in there.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12039 posts
2644 upvotes
badOne wrote: it's the convenience. It also works as a rice cooker.
Works as a rice cooker... poorly.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2949 upvotes
joeyjoejoe wrote: Works as a rice cooker... poorly.
the rice button method works poorly. 20 mins + high pressure + natural release of pressure for brown rice 1:! ratio of water works very well.
May 12, 2014
907 posts
556 upvotes
Markham, ON
joeyjoejoe wrote: Works as a rice cooker... poorly.
My experience is the complete opposite after learning how much water is needed through trial and error. When I first started using the IP for brown rice, it was always soggy. So I reduced the water to almost as low as white rice and things are better than all of my old rice cookers. Some you tube videos that were suggested in RFD helped me understand how much water is actually needed.

Jiro Dreams of Sushi pressure cooks his rice. More old school method and higher pressure, but the concept is similar, and less work.

For context, I grew up with those $20 rice cookers from Canadian Tire with only cook and warm lights and a single switch. Upgraded to a Panasonic, the old version of Panasonic-SR-ZE185-Microcomputer-Controlled-Rice-Cooker, while this cooked fine, too much steam is released and the whole house will smell like rice after. Must use more water with brown rice than white due to evaporation.

*not trying to convince the OP to get one, just sharing my experience.