• Last Updated:
  • Jul 14th, 2020 7:30 pm
[OP]
May 16, 2010
324 posts
5 upvotes
Markham, ON

What to expect if move from Honda Odyssey to Kia Sedona

I have a used Honda Odyssey for the past 10 years. Now I want to buy a used Minivan which has around 100K kms and is 5 years old or less, budget is around 15K. It looks like I may not be able to buy a used Honda Odyssey with this criteria but I can buy a used Kia Sedona instead. What to expect if a buy a used Kia Sedona 2015+? I want to keep my next mininvan for next 10 years with no major trouble. TIA.
21 replies
Banned
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
3009 upvotes
keenland
srhcan wrote: I have a used Honda Odyssey for the past 10 years. Now I want to buy a used Minivan which has around 100K kms and is 5 years old or less, budget is around 15K. It looks like I may not be able to buy a used Honda Odyssey with this criteria but I can buy a used Kia Sedona instead. What to expect if a buy a used Kia Sedona 2015+? I want to keep my next mininvan for next 10 years with no major trouble. TIA.
good luck with that...buying a used entry level van then expecting it to last another 10 years without major problems?...could happen...but my money is on that the used van will cost a lot more than you think in maintenance and will not last another 10 years...you are hoing from an upper end van with proven reliability, to a entry level budget car company with suspect longevity and reliability
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2015
1144 posts
1488 upvotes
90.00° N, 135.00° W
There is no such thing as no major trouble for a 10+ year old Kia vehicle.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
23425 posts
5426 upvotes
Toronto
I might be out to lunch but isn’t $15K for a 5+ yr old Kia Sedona a bit high in price?

Maybe not....

Note - I just checked kijiji prices and seems about avg. my bad...

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
[OP]
May 16, 2010
324 posts
5 upvotes
Markham, ON
CuriousJack wrote: There is no such thing as no major trouble for a 10+ year old Kia vehicle.
means failure which may cost thousands of dollars; I have not had them with Honda Odyssey yet
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2012
2365 posts
1831 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
Expect heartache.

And wallet pains.
Banned
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
3009 upvotes
keenland
srhcan wrote: means failure which may cost thousands of dollars; I have not had them with Honda Odyssey yet
I have owned 2 odysseys from new and only major failure that was about to happen (got rid of before it happened) was tranny started slipping and would overheat on real long drives 3-5 hrs...one wrote off and the other trade in for decent...both of these were vans in the high 300k and besides maybe a starter or alt/battery...nothing else went wrong ..motors were still solid.
I cant say you will get same success out of Kia, but you could get lucky...they have known motor issues and overall quality issues so luck may play a big part in it too
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1931 posts
1183 upvotes
It depends. What year is your current Odyssey?
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2013
1167 posts
1541 upvotes
Calgary
Stick with Honda or Toyota
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3868 upvotes
CuriousJack wrote: There is no such thing as no major trouble for a 10+ year old Kia vehicle.
Says honda fanboy.

To OP: Honda's are SHIT now. a 2015+ Kia will be more reliable than a 2015+ Honda.

So to answer your specific question, you will pay less for more feature and more reliability.

Honda's are more shit than Dodge now. Research a bit on internet to see. I own a shit Honda and won't touch another one unless I get it for free and it's still in warranty. Then get rid of it ASAP before warranty expires.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36162 posts
9425 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
bizzyseller wrote: It depends. What year is your current Odyssey?
He has had the Odyssey for the last 10 years. Assuming he bought it used. I would guess 14 - 15 years (2003 - 2005)

3 years ago, my lease came up for my Odyssey and I found a forum member that wanted it. They took my buyout and the cost was ~18,000$ plus HST. The van just had over 100,000 kms and needed new breaks.

I paid 500$ to help offset the cost. As I would have had to pay for the overage in mileage.

It wasn't the base model or the top end model, it was smack in the middle.

As far as I know, they still have the van and are very happy with it.

Stick with Honda or Toyota. Vans are a dying breed. There are only a few options

Sienna
Odyssey
Pacifica
Sedona
Caravan
Banned
Jan 2, 2010
19 posts
33 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote: Says honda fanboy.To OP: Honda's are SHIT now. a 2015+ Kia will be more reliable than a 2015+ Honda.
So to answer your specific question, you will pay less for more feature and more reliability.
Honda's are more shit than Dodge now. Research a bit on internet to see. I own a shit Honda and won't touch another one unless I get it for free and it's still in warranty. Then get rid of it ASAP before warranty expires.
Don't you get tired of saying the same thing over and over in every thread? Nobody cares,give it a rest already! People are not going to stop buying a brand because you said so!
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
16703 posts
11858 upvotes
Toronto
VICTOR KWAN wrote: Don't you get tired of saying the same thing over and over in every thread? Nobody cares,give it a rest already! People are not going to stop buying a brand because you said so!
Yes he thinks if he keeps repeating the same nonsense it will become truth
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
16703 posts
11858 upvotes
Toronto
srhcan wrote: I have a used Honda Odyssey for the past 10 years. Now I want to buy a used Minivan which has around 100K kms and is 5 years old or less, budget is around 15K. It looks like I may not be able to buy a used Honda Odyssey with this criteria but I can buy a used Kia Sedona instead. What to expect if a buy a used Kia Sedona 2015+? I want to keep my next mininvan for next 10 years with no major trouble. TIA.
What to expect?

Disappointment
Sep 15, 2017
796 posts
904 upvotes
Stick with Honda or Toyota. Hyundai/Kia/Subaru and those lower budget brands will give you nothing but trouble used.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2004
15160 posts
6228 upvotes
RFD
Imagine if OP does the switch and it ends up better than anyone expected from their hatred
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
2017 posts
1068 upvotes
Alberta
oilerfan89 wrote: Stick with Honda or Toyota. Hyundai/Kia/Subaru and those lower budget brands will give you nothing but trouble used.
First you choose the wrong hockey team to cheer for, then have the balls to throw Subaru into the Hyundai/Kia trashpile! Some people I tell yah... :D
Sep 5, 2018
164 posts
102 upvotes
oilerfan89 wrote: Stick with Honda or Toyota. Hyundai/Kia/Subaru and those lower budget brands will give you nothing but trouble used.
Er... I wouldn't say Subaru is a low budget brand. Many of the Subaru dealers that I have dealt with, would not budge on their prices. And their cars are reliable.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2009
1819 posts
570 upvotes
Toyota Sienna is much better than Honda Odyssey in reliability. Why not try Sienna if the price is right?