• Dec 3rd, 2021 10:40 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
17927 posts
12618 upvotes
Markham

What is flying out of Pearson Airport like right now....for domestic flights

Normally as you're not passing any borders, you don't have to arrive very early - maybe an hour? With COVID, I'm thinking it's going to take longer to go thru the airport to gate.

Can ppl report what the process is like?
How much in advance should a person arrive at the airport
What do they need, what should they expect
etc.

If you want to report what it's like for US flights, that might be a good thing as well as some ppl are crossing borders.

Thanks in advance for posts.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
29 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2019
1145 posts
1880 upvotes
Canada
Please be prepared for an airport experience that differs from pre-pandemic times. For departing domestic passengers, we ask that you arrive at the airport at least 90 minutes in advance of your flight. For departing international passengers, please arrive at least 3 hours in advance. The arrivals process for international travellers could take three hours or longer depending on your specific set of circumstances.
https://www.torontopearson.com/en/ready-to-travel
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
17927 posts
12618 upvotes
Markham
Thanks for that...nothing like personal experience IMO.

I recall one time I got to Pearson early [couple of hours] for a flight and they corralled ppl at the main entry area and didn't even let us access screening area. They would ask your departure time and they said to wait....actually waited over an hour just in the main area.

It got to the point that when they actually let me into the screening area, and when I actually exited screening, I actually had to run to the gate as I only had 10 min to my actual departure time.

Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2018
1773 posts
2818 upvotes
Canada, eh?
Not domestic...but you've mentioned US as well so I'll chime in. Traveled mid-July.

No priority security lines, you're lumped in with the rest. But not a long wait, just that you gotta deal with normal security requirements like taking off your shoes and belts.

The long waits that most people are mentioning either on Twitter or Instagram or whatever are from airport counters. They seem to be very short staffed, and line ups can loop around the terminal. So if you need to check bags, print tickets, etc., be prepared for a long wait.

The advice here is, 1) don't check bags, 2) print out your own BP or use mobile.
I arrived an hour before departure and still had time to buy coffee and wait at the gate (30 mins) until boarding.

I'm flying domestic soon so I'll update when that happens.
Mar 16, 2010
106 posts
91 upvotes
Flew YYZ-YVR a couple weeks ago on AC (Terminal 1), 4pm departure

Arrived at the airport around 2:45pm, no checked bags so went straight to security which took about 10-15minutes total. They take your temperature before entering the security line.

After that it was straight to the gate, boarding was just about to start.

If you don't have checked bags, I'd say for domestic flights the airport experience is more or less the same as before. Not sure if there are longer lineups for baggage drop-off.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 12, 2005
5114 posts
1735 upvotes
Mississauga
For domestic flight, I didn't see much difference in terms of the amount of time to get to airside. They do temperature check but that takes like 15-30sec at most and doesn't hold back the line.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2056 posts
2115 upvotes
Toronto
gr8dlr wrote: Thanks for that...nothing like personal experience IMO.

I recall one time I got to Pearson early [couple of hours] for a flight and they corralled ppl at the main entry area and didn't even let us access screening area. They would ask your departure time and they said to wait....actually waited over an hour just in the main area.

It got to the point that when they actually let me into the screening area, and when I actually exited screening, I actually had to run to the gate as I only had 10 min to my actual departure time.
Was this during Covid?
That would suck if you wanted to visit a lounge
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
17927 posts
12618 upvotes
Markham
yesnomaybe wrote: Was this during Covid?
This was pre COVID. It was really weird when this happened.

Jun 8, 2019
87 posts
70 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
My wife flew out of YYZ to Calgary on Thursday, back today (Terminal 3 - Westjet). Pearson was hit-and-miss in terms of wait times - it was OK for her midday (short lines everywhere, moving well) but very long lineups at security earlier on Thursday for one of her friends. On her return, there was a long wait for baggage at YYZ (although even pre-Covid we found YYZ to be worse than many other airports in that regard).
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
10293 posts
3470 upvotes
yesnomaybe wrote: Was this during Covid?
gr8dlr wrote: This was pre COVID. It was really weird when this happened.
Was this terminal 3 yyz? That ancient terminal has had “ketteling” for us bound flights for years.

Stick to star alliance when flying out of Pearson aka terminal 1
Autocorrect sucks
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
17927 posts
12618 upvotes
Markham
GangStarr wrote: Was this terminal 3 yyz? That ancient terminal has had “ketteling” for us bound flights for years.

Stick to star alliance when flying out of Pearson aka terminal 1
It was only that one time I've experienced "Ketteling" and it was terminal 1. I just found it unacceptable that I went early and they held us in the "kettle" until the timing became really tight to make it to the gate.

Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2002
6912 posts
1563 upvotes
Just back from Vancouver , it was fine not many people , lots of restaurant/ shops open. Only issue i had was my baggage took a long time to come at Pearson. Security , everything moved pretty smooth, my flight was 95% full ( air Canada)
Sep 12, 2019
79 posts
115 upvotes
In June I flew to the US out of terminal 3 and Pearson was deserted for international flights. No delays and you walk through security and customs in less than 5 minutes. Everything is closed past security though. There might be one small snack counter open, but shops and lounges are closed.

On August 6th I had to take an emergency flight from terminal 1 To Montreal. I arrived at the airport at 5:30pm, purchased my ticket while there, and passed through the long line at security by 6:00pm. So even though domestic travel is a little crowded, the lines at security move rather fast. I didn’t have time to look around as my flight departed at 6:30pm so I pretty much instantly boarded, but from a quick glance it looked like there were a lot of open shops and food stations. So pretty much same experience as I had pre COVID for domestic travel.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
17927 posts
12618 upvotes
Markham
rb wrote: Just back from Vancouver , it was fine not many people , lots of restaurant/ shops open. Only issue i had was my baggage took a long time to come at Pearson. Security , everything moved pretty smooth, my flight was 95% full ( air Canada)
So you checked a bag and it was slow to come off the plane when in YVR?

Any good recommended eats to report?

Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2002
6912 posts
1563 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: So you checked a bag and it was slow to come off the plane when in YVR?

Any good recommended eats to report?
checked bag and it was slow to come out at Pearson (45 minutes) , which is very slow considering its not very busy !
I ate at A&W which was abut $14 for a combo ( forget the burger's name) , my lounge pass did not work for some reason ( Air Canada lounge was open at Pearson )
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
2704 posts
1099 upvotes
My daughter flew out to Calgary yesterday with AC and she was through security and at the gate in 30 minutes with carryon luggage only.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2056 posts
2115 upvotes
Toronto
I've been reading stories about hours long delays for arriving international flights at Pearson due to Covid screening. Does this also affect arriving domestic flights?
Nov 22, 2010
757 posts
167 upvotes
Toronto
yesnomaybe wrote: I've been reading stories about hours long delays for arriving international flights at Pearson due to Covid screening. Does this also affect arriving domestic flights?
No
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6575 posts
3725 upvotes
Toronto
fromage wrote: great, i have an 1:15 between connecting flights at YYZ international arrival to domestic flight.

How screwed am I?
If your incoming flight is on time or close to it, you should be fine. There will be people still driving to the airport 75 minutes before a domestic flight.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)