• Last Updated:
  • May 30th, 2022 10:05 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6039 posts
5262 upvotes

What food manufacturers use but don't want customers to see

Anyone know anything about this product? Given the instructions, it looks pretty bad. How "other" allowed as an ingredient list...especially when it contains 60% of this "other" ingredient?

This was packed with the 800+ containers of grapes that were going bad that Costco "donated "
Images
  • 20220527_203840.jpg
10 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28620 posts
14166 upvotes
It looks like it's a mold inhibitor.
Since it's not a consumable item, listing ingredients don't really apply.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6039 posts
5262 upvotes
With such close contact it could definitely touch the grapes and be consumed that way. I think it's suspect to be allowed to say 'other' when it comprises 64%. Grapes are all moldy hence the 'donation'
Banned
Mar 14, 2022
392 posts
388 upvotes
Outer GTA
hierophant wrote: With such close contact it could definitely touch the grapes and be consumed that way. I think it's suspect to be allowed to say 'other' when it comprises 64%. Grapes are all moldy hence the 'donation'
I guess my suggestion would be to avoid grapes that you haven’t personally picked from the vine?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20955 posts
5394 upvotes
Poormond Hill
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
11727 posts
6618 upvotes
http://sohrani.pro/en/uvasys-en/
Uvasys was developed for all varieties of table grapes. It is long-lasting sulfur dioxide (SO2) generating sheet of laminated plastic.

Producers, wholesalers and retailers of table grapes worldwide recognize and highly appreciate this technology. The main function of the sheet is to protect the grapes from damage and loss of appearance caused by the pathogen Botrytis cinerea (gray mold). The unique and innovative construction of Uvasys sheets ensures steady release of sulfur dioxide (SO2) over a long period of time.

Apart from the advantage of maximum control over the growth of fungi, it also minimizing the sulfur dioxide damage to grapes (which is still possible only in case of violation of usage instructions).

Uvasys guarantees an excellent appearance of grapes after months of storage in cold stores and on supermarket/store shelves. These advantages are related to the use of a unique plastic and wax/sodium metabisulphite matrix laminating process and to the production process, which has strict specifications and quality control procedures. Uvasys is manufactured in a BRC certified facility. It was the first sulfur dioxide based product that gained this standard.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
48626 posts
12027 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
hierophant wrote: Anyone know anything about this product? Given the instructions, it looks pretty bad. How "other" allowed as an ingredient list...especially when it contains 60% of this "other" ingredient?

This was packed with the 800+ containers of grapes that were going bad that Costco "donated "
Its not a huge deal as health is a multi faceted thing.
I knew of one woman… fat as a cow. Twice the size of you probably (yah yah i know you could be a big tough guy. But she was that huge).
Smoked like a chimney. Ate like a cow.
She spent her entire life as a stay @ home mom. Had a loving family. Had 3 sons and 3 daughters. Followed by Tons of grand kids. They all visited her regularly. Church every sunday. Never missed a sunday. Ever.
Died @ age 90 from natural causes. She just slept one night and never woke up. Oddly enough… it was one of those cases she passed away 1 week after her husband passed away. Kinda like she waited for him… morbid. But really nice in a way.

I had a feeling her low stress life filled with lots of intrinsic “wealth” and love kept her going all these years despite her “terrible” health.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6039 posts
5262 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: Its not a huge deal as health is a multi faceted thing.
I knew of one woman… fat as a cow. Twice the size of you probably (yah yah i know you could be a big tough guy. But she was that huge).
Smoked like a chimney. Ate like a cow.
She spent her entire life as a stay @ home mom. Had a loving family. Had 3 sons and 3 daughters. Followed by Tons of grand kids. They all visited her regularly. Church every sunday. Never missed a sunday. Ever.
Died @ age 90 from natural causes. She just slept one night and never woke up. Oddly enough… it was one of those cases she passed away 1 week after her husband passed away. Kinda like she waited for him… morbid. But really nice in a way.

I had a feeling her low stress life filled with lots of intrinsic “wealth” and love kept her going all these years despite her “terrible” health.
I get what you're sayin and I agree. I'm not one of those people that eats pure, wholesome, organic foods and think I'm going to die if I eat chemical - I think you're totally over reaching . However, I think that consumers have every right to know what they're ingesting (this chemical is releasing INTO the grape) so it is being ingested. I expect this crap to happen with processed stuff, not WHOLE foods. It's the lack of transparency that bothers me but based on some of the responses people really don't care and are ok with it. I mean extending the shelf life of what are supposed to be FRESH grapes by SEVERAL MONTHS is just insane. But that's capitalism for ya...breeds greed and apathy.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
11727 posts
6618 upvotes
hierophant wrote: I get what you're sayin and I agree. I'm not one of those people that eats pure, wholesome, organic foods and think I'm going to die if I eat chemical - I think you're totally over reaching . However, I think that consumers have every right to know what they're ingesting (this chemical is releasing INTO the grape) so it is being ingested. I expect this crap to happen with processed stuff, not WHOLE foods. It's the lack of transparency that bothers me but based on some of the responses people really don't care and are ok with it. I mean extending the shelf life of what are supposed to be FRESH grapes by SEVERAL MONTHS is just insane. But that's capitalism for ya...breeds greed and apathy.
I don't think the concentrations given off by those pads are high enough that they have to label the grapes as containing sulphates the way they do with dried fruit. E.g., PC Orchard Dried Fruit Blend, "Dried Apples, Dried Apricots, Dried Pears, Dried Prune Plums, Dried Red Plums, Sulphites, Potassium Sorbate." It's the same stuff being used, again as a preservative but they do declare it. https://www.zehrs.ca/orchard-dried-frui ... 7719001_EA
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28620 posts
14166 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: Died @ age 90 from natural causes.
On the opposite side of the coin, you could blow an entire paycheck every week at Whole Foods and get hit by a bus when you're riding your bike.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
6463 posts
2628 upvotes
Montreal
hierophant wrote: Anyone know anything about this product? Given the instructions, it looks pretty bad. How "other" allowed as an ingredient list...especially when it contains 60% of this "other" ingredient?

The "other ingredients" are essentially what the sheet is made out of according to http://sohrani.pro/en/uvasys-en/

Active Ingredient:
Sodium Metabisulphite (Na2S2O5), > 98% purity, Food Grade

Inert Ingredients:
Polyester Film
Polypropylene Non-Woven
Wax (approved for contact with food)

It also mentions:
The Slow Release layer remains active for up to 120 days, emitting a low, continual dose of sulphur dioxide gas, concentrated enough to inhibit any latent or inherent Botrytis cinerea spores from growing, but also low enough to ensure sulphite residues in table grapes remain safely below the legal limit of 10 ppm.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)