• Oct 12th, 2020 8:01 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
1262 posts
79 upvotes
oshawa

what is this? found in garage of home

i just moved into a 12 year old townhome in oshawa and i found this in cceling of my garage
what is this? and how do i fix it?
if you dont have an answer, dont repond to my thread.
I need answers, and thats why i use redflagdeals forums.
40 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17312 posts
19326 upvotes
Oakville
junkone wrote: i just moved into a 12 year old townhome in oshawa and i found this in cceling of my garage
Looks like mold. You need to find the source of the water leak.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Selling 18x8 Winter Wheels/Tires 225/60R-18 for Audi Q5, A5, Mercedes, PM for info, lots of tread.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.ht ... 1589757439
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
3069 posts
1681 upvotes
Mississauga
junkone wrote: i just moved into a 12 year old townhome in oshawa and i found this in cceling of my garage
Mold. What room is right above the garage? Get that checked out asap. Probably a leak somewhere
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3554 posts
2589 upvotes
Toronto
That was there when you had the home inspection. Did it not get mentioned in the report or seen when you looked at the house?

As others say, that's mold from a likely water leak in that area above the garage. If there's nothing above the garage, then the roof might be leaking. This should have been noted in the inspection.

Cut out the drywall. I'd remove the two sheets it seems to be limited to or you can cut out the impacted area. Then find the source of the leak, have it repaired and then replace the drywall. Seams in the garage need to be taped and mudded to prevent polluted air from the garage getting into your home.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6900 posts
3871 upvotes
Mississauga
Or the inspection was done with the garage door open, effectively covering up that spot. Wouldn't be the first time an inspector didn't think to close the door...

Or it developed after the inspection. I only takes about 48 hours for mold to start growing on wet drywall.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2006
1025 posts
727 upvotes
Ottawa
That mold is months or years old. Cut out the drywall, there will be more on the framing. Fix the leak. New drywall. Wear PPE.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5713 posts
3520 upvotes
It’s mold , but is the area still wet? If not it’s possible the leak was fixed. Either way id cut that section out and see what’s behind it and the replace the rotted section.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
1738 posts
1030 upvotes
Toronto
Mold. Cut it out and check for water leaks.
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2019
1197 posts
555 upvotes
Probably mould. And since there is generally no water pipes above the garage as I assume there is no room over the garage or just a bedroom, then the leak is likely condensation on the ductwork due to insufficient insulation and high humidity or leak from the roof, possibly if you have a small overhang roof over the garage. Since the leak does not seem to be large, could be leak the eavestrough/soffit or condensation. You will need to replace the drywall, possibly some wood and the insulation too - after you find out what caused the leak.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4719 posts
1226 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I can't imagine what it looks like on the other side of the drywall. Please wear a mask when cutting that out.
May 15, 2017
243 posts
266 upvotes
Take some pictures and post them after you open up the ceiling to look around.
Jul 2, 2013
709 posts
191 upvotes
Aurora
I see new drywall and old drywall on that ceiling. I think the leak was repaired but the repair was done incorrectly and the leak was never fixed.
The fact that a home inspector missed this is sad. Or possibly the OP is a tenant.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2006
1025 posts
727 upvotes
Ottawa
lehmanr wrote: I see new drywall and old drywall on that ceiling. I think the leak was repaired but the repair was done incorrectly and the leak was never fixed.
The fact that a home inspector missed this is sad. Or possibly the OP is a tenant.
Very good point, it's been "fixed" already. Bottom right of pic, the old drywall. Contrast with the patch that is moldy. The story lies above.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6900 posts
3871 upvotes
Mississauga
That's a seriously shitty mudding job.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
1262 posts
79 upvotes
oshawa
i did not do home inspection. the old owner had the garage full and we could not step into the garage during our 2 visits too. there is no washroom above this garage, will cut it out after i settle down and post pictures
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
4433 posts
3765 upvotes
GTA
OMG when will people finally learn that house inspection is there to help them?
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3886 posts
2915 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
enwhyRFD wrote: I can't imagine what it looks like on the other side of the drywall. Please wear a mask when cutting that out.
Meh, unless you have some immunity issues, the drywall dust is more problematic than some mold.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3886 posts
2915 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
My guess is it's a result of a poorly sealed and badly insulated duct to a room over the garage. Air seepage combined with running the A/C constantly in the summer led to this.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
1262 posts
79 upvotes
oshawa
MrFrugal1 wrote: My guess is it's a result of a poorly sealed and badly insulated duct to a room over the garage. Air seepage combined with running the A/C constantly in the summer led to this.
its a west facing garage/roof without any a/c
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
1787 posts
870 upvotes
GTA
So there's no room above the garage? That it totally mold build up. Water ALWAYS finds the lowest point to pool at, so if there is no room above the garage, either your garage roof is leaking or it's coming from a leak between the joint from your garage and your house. If the flashing is worn out or has a leak that might be where it's coming from.