Entertainment

What genre of music does Hans Zimmer make?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 8th, 2020 11:39 am
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 8, 2017
96 posts
84 upvotes

What genre of music does Hans Zimmer make?

Especially for action movies like superman and dark knight, is the musical genre called classical or something?
  • It's not free when you have to pay for it.
18 replies
[OP]
Nov 8, 2017
96 posts
84 upvotes
thanks!
  • It's not free when you have to pay for it.
Apr 21, 2017
89 posts
148 upvotes
Edmonton
sahands334 wrote: Especially for action movies like superman and dark knight, is the musical genre called classical or something?
Trailer music or epic
it's a variant of modern orchestra
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
4985 posts
3266 upvotes
Bummer! This thread made me want to re-watch the brilliant and amazing concert film Hans Zimmer: Live in Prague again. Unfortunately, Netflix Canada got rid of it in its programming. :(

Also, disappointing that Hans Zimmer was too busy doing the soundtrack to the upcoming "Dune" sci-fi film that he had to decline working with his frequent collaborator Christopher Nolan for "Tenet". Music was done by Ludwig Göransson instead.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
17803 posts
10347 upvotes
Ottawa
Mr_Fanta wrote: Bummer! This thread made me want to re-watch the brilliant and amazing concert film Hans Zimmer: Live in Prague again. Unfortunately, Netflix Canada got rid of it in its programming. :(
It''s gone? Oh damn, only watched a few minutes while browsing netflix and it was epic :) I wanted to watch more

The Man of Steel piece is perfect

Please update your profile to include your city. It's helpful when you post about something regional ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
12659 posts
3042 upvotes
Mississauga
According to Wikipedia, he is known as a film score composer. Film scores vary wildly depending on the movie, so you can't classify it as just classical.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
10448 posts
4672 upvotes
The Dark Knight Trilogy's main theme is orchestral.
Interstellar uses an organ and what sounds like synthesized instruments.
The use of an organ is unusual but it turns out it worked for that movie.
Talamasca wrote: According to Wikipedia, he is known as a film score composer. Film scores vary wildly depending on the movie, so you can't classify it as just classical.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
8489 posts
5467 upvotes
Global Village
The soundtrack to Man of Steel is 1 of my favorites, definitely not classical. Tough to classify it, combines electronic with orchestral sounds, "Synth Orchestal" maybe?
All day I dream about sports

My Banks: Tangerine, Meridian, EQ Bank, Simplii
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
4985 posts
3266 upvotes
HZ is my second favorite film composer and I'll always rank him behind John Williams. Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Deal Addict
May 31, 2009
2034 posts
1092 upvotes
Mr_Fanta wrote: HZ is my second favorite film composer and I'll always rank him behind John Williams. Smiling Face With Sunglasses

Love HZ and his work. Put him up there along with James Newton Howard, Thomas Newman (sorry Randy) and Joe Hisashi for all his amazing Miyazaki works.

[external link removed]
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
1556 posts
1870 upvotes
Scarborough
Mr_Fanta wrote: HZ is my second favorite film composer and I'll always rank him behind John Williams. Smiling Face With Sunglasses
My most favourite is Angelo Badalamenti. I also have John Carpenter, Vangelis, Bill Conti, Giorgio Moroder and Vince DiCola there.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
7941 posts
3161 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
Zimmer's work on Gladiator, Thelma and Louse, and True Romance are the ones that hit me most in the feels.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2009
5797 posts
3336 upvotes
If you are looking for something similar, I recommend:

E.S. Posthumus
Two Steps From Hell
Thomas Bergersen

I like other composers such as Jerry Goldsmith, James Horner, Alexandre Desplat, Brian Tyler and Marco Beltrami as well.

Take a listen and let us know what you like.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2006
2136 posts
542 upvotes
Alberta
Listened to a lot of "The Rock" score while studying.
Sep 3, 2018
43 posts
23 upvotes
I don't think there is a category to define Hans Zimmer's work. He does film scores but his style / genre depends on what kind of movie / project he works on.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)